Winter transfer window 2020/1

barry'sboots

10 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

We’re lacking a big, physical defensive midfielder to sit in there and shift across to cover the fullbacks when they go forward. 

I liken it to the situation a couple of years back where we had Chester and Elphick at centre half. We were too easy to play against. As an opposition striker, I’d have relished playing against them two. Whilst Chester was a very capable footballer, he doesn’t strike fear into opponents. What we needed was a big, mean, nasty leader to come in and command the line - we got Mings, the rest is history. Strikers knew that they may get the occasional elbow or boot to the head. We needed that nasty, physical streak. 

This is what we need in central midfield now - A Mings-esque player. An enforcer that sure’s us up when teams try to play through us and counter attack against us. Luiz is good, McGinn is good, but neither are your classic defensive midfielder. Luiz is a very neat and tidy deep lying playmaker rather than that commanding, physical DM. 

I think we’re a quality defensive midfielder and a forward player away from being a top 6 side.

That’s what I think anyway. Feel free to call me an idiot. 

yeah, if we are going to play 2 x DMs (6's) in a 4231 type formation, imo we need Luiz and another enforcer as you say, or in a 433, i still think we are missing the central bruiser DM who can recycle.

Luiz and Mcginn are excellent footballers, but they are too small as a duo imo to both play together in that duo DM role, i think both are more 8's than 6's.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Brewster...? Seriously? 

Yep, think he's really good for his age.

Wouldn't spent £40m. Or even the silly deal Sheff U did where Liverpool can piss around and do what they want. But if they're raising funds, straight £15m I think he'd be a good player for us.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, OxfordVillan said:

Kalvin Phillips isn’t leaving Leeds unless they get relegated. And they’re not going to be relegated anytime soon. The only other scenario that might agitate a move would be Bielsa leaving, and I don’t see that being a possibility anytime soon either. We need to look elsewhere.

We would be kicking ass right now if he was in our team now but you’re right on the price and he isn’t leaving unless they get relegated.

Dont the new transfer rules come in on Dec 31?, so all future transfers now are subject to these rules?

Unless any transfers are agreed /arranged before the window opens???

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, paul514 said:

We would be kicking ass right now if he was in our team now but you’re right on the price and he isn’t leaving unless they get relegated.

We’ve kicked ass this season. Don’t get me wrong, I’d be delighted to see Kalvin Phillips in the Villa squad, but we’re doing very well without him. 

On 13/12/2020 at 11:04, Sulberto21 said:

Well definitely need a bit more pace especially in the wide areas.

Edit - Sekou Koita is someone worth looking at. A couple of technical speedsters I've seen in the French league but I've totally forgotten their names. One plays for Lille.

It might be Johnathan Ikone, who plays for Lille.

Looks decent. Linked with Chelsea and Leicester in the summer.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, paul514 said:

We have Luiz playing Phillips role and Luiz is better so I don't get how we'd be better?

On 13/12/2020 at 11:28, Delphinho123 said:

We’re lacking a big, physical defensive midfielder to sit in there and shift across to cover the fullbacks when they go forward. 

I liken it to the situation a couple of years back where we had Chester and Elphick at centre half. We were too easy to play against. As an opposition striker, I’d have relished playing against them two. Whilst Chester was a very capable footballer, he doesn’t strike fear into opponents. What we needed was a big, mean, nasty leader to come in and command the line - we got Mings, the rest is history. Strikers knew that they may get the occasional elbow or boot to the head. We needed that nasty, physical streak. 

This is what we need in central midfield now - A Mings-esque player. An enforcer that sure’s us up when teams try to play through us and counter attack against us. Luiz is good, McGinn is good, but neither are your classic defensive midfielder. Luiz is a very neat and tidy deep lying playmaker rather than that commanding, physical DM. 

I think we’re a quality defensive midfielder and a forward player away from being a top 6 side.

That’s what I think anyway. Feel free to call me an idiot. 

I agree Totally.

that title is reserved for me.

21 hours ago, MaVilla said:

yeah, if we are going to play 2 x DMs (6's) in a 4231 type formation, imo we need Luiz and another enforcer as you say, or in a 433, i still think we are missing the central bruiser DM who can recycle.

Luiz and Mcginn are excellent footballers, but they are too small as a duo imo to both play together in that duo DM role, i think both are more 8's than 6's.

It might surprise you....but I agree 100%

• Haha 1