List your all time favorite books if you feel like it

useless

The internet has ruined my ability to read books. Really thought I would spend lockdown reading books, and didn't make my way through a single one.

Non-fiction: anything by Ben Macintyre (Agent Zigzag, SAS: Rogue Heroes) or Michael Lewis (Liar's Poker, The Big Short, Flash Boys, Moneyball) is always brilliant.

Fiction: lots, but two that really stick out are Trainspotting by Irvine Welsh and the True History of the Kelly Gang by Peter Carey. Both use the technique of writing the way the characters speak, which I think is why I love both of them. You can really hear all the characters talking. Both books are laugh out loud funny.

• Like 4

Pratchett ( Guards, Guards and Good Omens top the list ), PG Woodhouse, Douglas Adams ( Hitchhiker's book 1 and 2 only, 3 is abysmal ), Rankin's rebus series, Cornwall's Sharpe books, currently loving Mick Herron's slow horses series. Le Carre's The Man Who Came in From the Cold, and A Perfect Spy are superb. Donna Tartt's A Secret History. I was really impressed by Girl Woman Other, by Bernadine Evaristo this year too. 

Non Fiction - agree on Ben McIntyre love his books. A Spy Among Friends is fantastic in particular.  Currently reading Black and British, by David Olusoga, which is a superb grand history book, very readable and compelling. 

• Like 1

All time faves?

Are we going on number of re reads? if that’s the criteria then the Colin Macinnes books must be right up there, Mr Love and Justice, City of Spades, Absolute Beginners. 

Although, I’ve also read Crime and Punishment, Fyodor Dostoevsky three times, which deserves some sort of blue plaque or a certificate at least.

Actual gorgeous books I enjoy owning and would replace instantly if lost?  That would be A History of Building Types by Nikolaus Pevsner, The Contemporary Print (from pre-pop to Postmodern) by Susan Tallman, Sculpture Since 1945 by Andrew Causey.

I’m a **** intellectual.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, rjw63 said:

The Jack Reacher series.

Just got the new one, remains to be seen what they'll be like now Lee Child is handing the reins over to his brother.

Same here, enjoyed every one so far. If you like Reacher try the Orphan X novels, stunning pieces of work.

Also the Tier one series is very good as are the Victor the Assassin books 

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Like 1

Good Omens

Night Watch/Men at Arms/Feet of Clay/Interesting Times/The Last Continent/The Fifth Elephant/Lords and Ladies/Carpe Jugulum/Maskerade/Reaper Man/Hogfather/Thief of Time... The Discworld is really **** good.

American Gods

The Crow Road

Complicity

The Business

The Player of Games

Use of Weapons

The Algebraist

• Like 1

God here we go then. The Harry Potter series. The Alex Cross series by James Patterson. One Day by David Nicholls. The Dirt by Motley Crue.
I know they are populist, low brow nonsense. You have seen the music I listen to right?  

Difficult to come up with my definitive best books but here’s my initial thoughts

The Power Of One - Bryce Courtenay

The Godfather - Mario Puzo

Heart Shaped Box - Joe Hill

Mr Mercedes - Stephen King

Headhunter - Jo Nesbo

The Maribou Stork Nightmares - Irvine Welsh

The Martian - Andy Weir

Ready Player One - Ernest Cline

John Dies In The End - David Wong

The Poet - Michael Connelly

i’m sure there’s plenty more but thats off the top of my head. 

Edited by theboyangel

5 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

Difficult to come up with my definitive best books but here’s my initial thoughts

The Power Of One - Bryce Courtenay

The Godfather - Mario Puzo

Heart Shaped Box - Joe Hill

Mr Mercedes - Stephen King

Headhunter - Jo Nesbo

The Maribou Stork Nightmares - Irvine Welsh

The Martian - Andy Weir

Ready Player One - Ernest Cline

John Dies In The End - David Wong

The Poet - Michael Connelly

i’m sure there’s plenty more but thats off the top of my head. 

Maribou Stork Nightmares is an excellent read. 

• Thanks 1

Â