Ross Barkley

LondonLax

14 minutes ago, duke313 said:

We don’t necessarily need a Kamara type DM for every game.  We need players that can receive the ball in midfield, turn and either run into or pass into space. RB can definitely do that, as he’s shown this season.

I agree that he can perform this role, but I do think the midfield is a little unbalanced in the sense that Luiz and Tielemans are similar in what their jobs/abilities are, but we don't have anyone that can replace what Kamara offers. Barkley would also fit in with the former two rather than the latter as well, so would still expect another body in that area of the pitch even if he signed. Maybe not an outright DM, but someone like the rumoured Fofana who has played there previously, so could cover Kamara's absence but also play with him when he returns.

9 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

So was he a DM at Luton I don't really know?

I posted this summary from a mate who knows his stuff in the Summer Window thread. " Deep Lying Playmaker " it seems.

" So if we are signing Barkley then we won't be signing a DM in this coming window imo...

We're going the deep lying playmaker route...cos that's where Barkley has excelled this season...

Collecting the ball from deep, either spraying it...or driving into midfield...

I remember breezing past Kamara like he wasn't there...seen him do it to Rodri too...

Anyone who remembers my posts from when Barkley was at the club will remember that I wanted him gone...his off the ball commitment was terrible...and so was his output post injury...so it's not a case of forgetting what he was like for us...

It's realising that players can improve...Barkley has looked good off the ball for Luton...tackling, pressing...

But it's also recognising that Edwards really found a role that suits Barkley...from deep you can retain the ball better, pick your passes better...and be more effective when you drive with the ball...Barkley at 10 and at 6 isn't the same thing...

Bailey and Barkley are probably the two biggest redemption stories of the season... " 

• Like 4

Was playing well for us until his injury then never got his form back.

Shrewd signing if it happens you gotta trust The Don and his team.

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, bobzy said:

Link says "modest fee".

His contract is up so can only assume any fees are agent/sign-on fees or whatever.

Edit: Actually just read a report that Luton never disclosed the length of his contract - some seem to think it's up, some report it has another year.

Edited by DaoDeMings

Just now, DaoDeMings said:

His contract is up so can only assume any fees are agent/sign-on fees or whatever

Just now, villaglint said:

Not sure why if he is out of contract. 

"The 30-year-old, capped by England 33 times, excelled for Luton when joining on a free last summer, after a spell in Ligue 1 with Nice. Luton, who have been relegated, never disclosed the length of Barkley’s contract but it is thought to run into next season."

(Link:  https://www.theguardian.com/football/article/2024/may/20/aston-villa-ross-barkley-luton)

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

"The 30-year-old, capped by England 33 times, excelled for Luton when joining on a free last summer, after a spell in Ligue 1 with Nice. Luton, who have been relegated, never disclosed the length of Barkley’s contract but it is thought to run into next season."

(Link:  https://www.theguardian.com/football/article/2024/may/20/aston-villa-ross-barkley-luton)

As I said in the edit above, some report that he has a year left some are saying it's up. I'd imagine it having a year left is more likely given it would be unusual for Luton to sign him on a one-year deal. Unless there was a relegation get-out clause or something? All speculation really, but either way we can bank on it being cheap, surely 10 mil absolute tops.

4 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

Very questionable bringing him back but tbf Emery did wonders for Tielemans.

You'd think one year deal heavily incentive based if so, because lads like Ross always seem to turn on when they have to fight for a new deal and then when they get a bit of stability it's gone.

Otherwise known as doing a Lee Hendrie.

3 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I posted this summary from a mate who knows his stuff in the Summer Window thread. " Deep Lying Playmaker " it seems.

" So if we are signing Barkley then we won't be signing a DM in this coming window imo...

We're going the deep lying playmaker route...cos that's where Barkley has excelled this season...

I remember breezing past Kamara like he wasn't there...seen him do it to Rodri too...

Anyone who remembers my posts from when Barkley was at the club will remember that I wanted him gone...his off the ball commitment was terrible...and so was his output post injury...so it's not a case of forgetting what he was like for us...

It's realising that players can improve...Barkley has looked good off the ball for Luton...tackling, pressing...

But it's also recognising that Edwards really found a role that suits Barkley...from deep you can retain the ball better, pick your passes better...and be more effective when you drive with the ball...Barkley at 10 and at 6 isn't the same thing...

Bailey and Barkley are probably the two biggest redemption stories of the season... " 

My Luton-supporting mate reckons he's been their box-to-box midfielder with Lokonga sitting deep behind (as the DM).

Also says he's been "superb" and "his passing is sublime".

37 minutes ago, thabucks said:

He was known at Chelsea to love a night out but maybe being humbled into joining Luton he’s realised he needs to look after himself and put the work in on the training pitch. Technic wise he’s a fantastic player. Very shrewd signing potentially and happy about this one. Doesn’t mean we are flat broke either - just seeking the best value regardless. 

I imagine there are plenty of character references at Villa, presumably people here must have liked him and considered him professional while he was here or we'd have avoided him

This is an Emery signing, no doubt about it: he was obsessed with signing highly technical veterans at Villarreal, and it got them to a CL Semi Final.

• Like 1

On 24/09/2020 at 07:17, alreadyexists said:

Would be quite a coup to get him to be honest.

4 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

How? 

Just check the date of the quote! In September 2020 it was a bit of coup to loan him from Chelsea.

The man had 3 good games for Villa in his first spell. The rest was terrible. I did always wonder if COVID affected him quite badly, but either way I'm very surprised we're going back for him.

Where would he play? Not disciplined enough for the deeper positions, so must be wide or more likely number 10. But who makes way for him, given we are already at the limit on UEFA squad size? I certainly wouldn't swap any of Buendia Bailey Diaby Tielemans McGinn Ramsey Rogers for him. Unless we're just signing him for the league and cups?

Monchi. Mate. I have so many questions!

7 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

The ability for players to improve is underrated. Some don't hit their primes until later in their career, especially those who have emotional maturing to do i.e. Barkley. Also, if there's any manager capable of finding a player's best role and getting the most out of them, it's Emery

Â