Title chase 2020/2021

villalad21

we have only won 1 of the last 5 in the league.

Although we are doing better this year, we are actually only 9 points ahead of last season in like for like fixtures.

Urgh, Burnley was an important game, if we had designs on top 6, or even top 8, we needed to be winning games like this.

• Like 2

3 losses in 4 now. 10th place at the minute. I guess we are officially in a rough patch. Tough game on Saturday too. We will see just how much desire some of the players have now.

I just hope heads don't drop now.

As in the past we have very much sown the signs of a fickle confidence team. This is the test now.

Need to remind ourselves how well we are doin in the grand scheme of tins. Show them last years table at tis stage.

We go again,

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

Confidence now is a problem that Burnley defeat will hurt.

Burnley were stronger and had way too much character for us. A little worrying but I suppose they are PL battle-hardened and we are a bit soft.

Let's see if Sanson is the 'Warrior' he has proclaimed himself, I hope so. We lack strength, energy and speed in the middle of the park!

6 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I just hope heads don't drop now.

As in the past we have very much sown the signs of a fickle confidence team. This is the test now.

Need to remind ourselves how well we are doin in the grand scheme of tins. Show them last years table at tis stage.

We go again,

This is similar punch in the gut defeat to when we lost at West Ham.

We won 3 of the next 5 so some faith is required. Indeed would've been 4 out of 6 if Newcastle game had been played when it was.

Bump in the road, it happens. When we finished 4th under Brian Little in 1996 we lost home and away to a relegated Man. City so even our really good domestic seasons have results like that.

• Like 1

We are very naive at times, which is why we get results like tonight where we shoot ourselves in the foot - we are profligate with our chances and then switch off when trying to defend

I think we have the lowest average age in the league, i'd be interested to see how we compare in terms of premier league games played - for a lot of our regular starting XI (and squad), this is only their 2nd season ever played in this league.

Edited by andym
  • Like 1

Just now, andym said:

We are very naive at times, which is why we get results like tonight where we shoot ourselves in the foot - are profligate with our chances and then switch off when trying to defend

I think we have the lowest average age in the league, i'd be interested to see how we compare in terms of premier league games played - for a lot of our team (and squad), this is only their 2nd season ever played in this league.

This is true and games like tonight will hopefully make us battle-hardened.

You are correct we are the youngest average age in the PL and I'd imagine we must be one of the most inexperienced teams also.

3 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Southampton next and we just don’t beat them for some reason.

Need to turn up there. About time we put in a really good performance against a mega press team. Would be fine with a point as would keep us top half.

Arsenal showed the way to play them last night although seems Betrand was suspended so he'll be straight back in as their young LB was a massive weak link.

14 minutes ago, andym said:

We are very naive at times, which is why we get results like tonight where we shoot ourselves in the foot - we are profligate with our chances and then switch off when trying to defend

I think we have the lowest average age in the league, i'd be interested to see how we compare in terms of premier league games played - for a lot of our regular starting XI (and squad), this is only their 2nd season ever played in this league.

We will be way down on premier league games played when compared to other top half sides. Probably an average of 35 top flight games each? Might be skewed higher by Barclay when he plays, but def also the youngest team. I think this also links as to why we go on to lose games like this rather than just draw them. We are exciting but naive I feel.

I expect a reaction similar to the one when we lost to Brighton, West Ham, Leeds and Southampton. Pretty sure it was 4 defeats in 5 then. We seem to need these periodic "rap on the knuckles" as Dean Smith put it, to jolt us back into life.

Â