Title chase 2020/2021

villalad21

Momentum is with us, and I feel, and we all see, that preparation is meeting opportunity, and this Villa side is taking the chances before them.

I can't see this side dwindling into obscurity any time soon, although I should probably reserve that comment 'til at least a game after the return from illness.

Fortune favours the brave. And led by Smith and Grealish, this team has been exactly that, brave. Everyone involved has stepped up to the challenges of this league.

UTV!

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, kidlewis said:

We will still be a couple of games behind for a while but with City and Newcastle this week. You’d hope for 3+ from those two. 

puts us 8th with two in hand over most after this weekend is done and dusted. 

we’ve got a real opportunity to go with the top half group and not the bottom half. 

by the end of Jan I think we will know which half we will end up in. 

It's mad how well we're actually doing compared to 12 months back.

Funnily enough we were actually on 25 points this time last year (but had played 9 more games). We then took about 1 point from our next 7 games.

To have a situation where we have 27 points from 34 games as we did last season before the great escape we'd have to lose 18 of our next 19 games so an even worse run than Sheffield United this season and much worse than at any point in 15/16 so for anyone who still thinks we could be dragged into serious relegation battle from where we are now that's how bad we have to get and it's simply not happening with what we have now so might aswell look up the table.

I think we've got more than a decent chance of finishing 8th but obviously need to win a game or two over next few weeks and keep up with some teams who've used our hiatus to put decent leads over us.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

It's mad how well we're actually doing compared to 12 months back.

Funnily enough we were actually on 25 points this time last year (but had played 9 more games). We then took about 1 point from our next 7 games.

To have a situation where we have 27 points from 34 games as we did last season before the great escape we'd have to lose 18 of our next 19 games so an even worse run than Sheffield United this season and much worse than at any point in 15/16 so for anyone who still thinks we could be dragged into serious relegation battle from where we are now that's how bad we have to get and it's simply not happening with what we have now so might aswell look up the table.

I think we've got more than a decent chance of finishing 8th but obviously need to win a game or two over next few weeks and keep up with some teams who've used our hiatus to put decent leads over us.

We have a good chance. It might be rearranged but we play Leicester two days after they are away in Prague. That’s a good a time as any to play them.

We have a habit of getting managers sacked. We could sort Bruce out next 

6 hours ago, villalad21 said:

To each their own. 

I'll get excited if we win stuff. 

We are a big club and we shouldn't cream our pants over mid table. Sounds a bit small time. 

Surely it's all about context?

From almost going out of business about 2 and a half seasons ago, to where we're sitting at the moment - that's tremendous progress! When you look at our current league position (with games in hand), and the way the team has played this season, surely that is something we can (and should) be excited about?

To say you won't get excited till we win stuff is mind-boggling.

26 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

doesn't put any context as to what the PL is, as i said in the other football thread, the league is now designed to make the big 6 richer whilst the PLs marketing and Sky are built around telling you that the big 6 doesn't exist

the whole thing is based around telling you that you are competitive and that its a competitive league whilst paying the teams at the top double, treble what everyone else is paid and having rules that cap your spending, it is designed for you not to win stuff

we're hoping or aiming or trying to finish in and around arsenal and chelsea, 2 clubs with revenue of around £400m, they are 4 to 5 times bigger than us in terms of revenue, this big club stuff is nonsense, the money and the financial advantage from the big 6 is ridiculous, we are nowhere near them, we should not able to compete with them but we can because we have better owners and are better managed, of course that should be celebrated, not a bus parade but you should be happy with our comparative success and definitely with our ongoing progress and be optimistic that it will continue 

As bad and all as the PL is, it would would be worse if we were in La Liga where Real and Barca take something like 90% of the money from the TV deals, or Germany where Bayern and Dortmund take most of it. In comparison the PL is like a charity in how it spreads the wealth.

6 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

As bad and all as the PL is, it would would be worse if we were in La Liga where Real and Barca take something like 90% of the money from the TV deals, or Germany where Bayern and Dortmund take most of it. In comparison the PL is like a charity in how it spreads the wealth.

agree with that, worst case its circa £1m per TV game and liverpool / utd are on TV 15 times more than the minimum so thats £15m extra plus then the £1.5m per position so top to bottom thats another £30m so in theory Liverpool can earn £45m more than Norwich with some bad maths

its the CL that skews it the most, the prize money for that creates a huge disparity that clubs outside of the CL have no way of compensating for, especially when you consider the CL increases the general commercial success of those clubs too, we arent getting a £50m kit deal any time soon

on club size again, arsenal who are struggling now, their last financial report shows £94m revenue from match days, it was the most in the world at one point, they earn more from ticket sales and corporate than we do in total, thats what we are competing against, before you throw in their emirates deal, puma deal, rwanda stuff, EL prize money (!) they earn more money than us just from their ridiculous ticket pricing which we will never be able to compete with thanks to our postcode

• Like 1

• 29 points after 17 games.
  • We didnt break the 29 point barrier last year until after game week 35.
  • Specific opponent versus specific opponent, this year versus last year, we have done better in 7 games, the same in 6 games, and worse in 4 games.

image.png.ae13c31515065443b113e8722c91174a.png

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, MaVilla said:
  • 29 points after 17 games.
  • We didnt break the 29 point barrier last year until after game week 35.
  • Specific opponent versus specific opponent, this year versus last year, we have done better in 7 games, the same in 6 games, and worse in 4 games.

image.png.ae13c31515065443b113e8722c91174a.png

Oh man, what a graph that is. I mean, that's exa tly what we need to monitor our progress. 

What I can't wait to see if how this team performs after it gets to 40 points. They will know they're safe so then it will be a case of will they just rest on their laurels or will they go for every game and try to finish in the European places. That's when we will see what they're made of. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

Oh man, what a graph that is. I mean, that's exa tly what we need to monitor our progress. 

What I can't wait to see if how this team performs after it gets to 40 points. They will know they're safe so then it will be a case of will they just rest on their laurels or will they go for every game and try to finish in the European places. That's when we will see what they're made of. 

They will definitely be trying to win every game they play.  The manager wouldn't allow anything less.

2 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

I don't believe for one second that there is anyone at Villa Park looking at hitting 40 points to stay up.

We are way beyond that kind of worry.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

A win against Burnley and then a 6 pointer against Saints. Would be nice to be on 35 points half way through the season. Same points as last season in half the games seems fitting. Let's do it Boyz. 

I'm really looking forward to the Saints game. Remember, they've had a turnaround like ours. Conceded 9 against Leicester City last season and look at them now. We will be looking for revenge after what they did to us at The Mecca of Football earlier this season so should make for a really good game. 

Before then we play Burnley. I hope Ben Mee gets his comeuppance. I can't stand the bastard after the way he took out Wesley last season. I hope we give them a tanking before going to Southampton and hopefully getting revenge. 

2 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

I don't believe for one second that there is anyone at Villa Park looking at hitting 40 points to stay up.

We are way beyond that kind of worry.

I totally agree mate. I think they're desperate to get there to get that out of the way so they can play with complete freedom. 

As fans, do we want European football or to narrowly miss out? I mean, get it and we will have to spend loads to re-inforce for next season to compete. Narrowly miss out, recruit further, then have that hunger to improve the finish next season.

1 minute ago, Villarocker said:

I totally agree mate. I think they're desperate to get there to get that out of the way so they can play with complete freedom. 

As fans, do we want European football or to narrowly miss out? I mean, get it and we will have to spend loads to re-inforce for next season to compete. Narrowly miss out, recruit further, then have that hunger to improve the finish next season.

I just wish the Europa League schedule wasn't so grueling. It's a lot of work and travel for a tournament that doesn't arouse an abundance of passion. Still, it would be good experience for these players and fun for traveling fans. 

Â