Bertrand Traoré

Delphinho123

9 hours ago, Tommo_b said:

Yeah but how can you not love Bertie, he  has moments of pure genius. You just have to ignore the moments of madness. 

I’ll never ignore those hopeful punts across field of our own throw-ins. That was my favourite part of his game.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Lyon fans were right. I was wrong about Bentancur. That said. He’s out for a while. Useless crock.

They weren’t Bert scored  near 40 goals for them in 4 season. Yes you were wrong about Bentancur glad you finally admitting that. Actually watching games rather than reading a forums opinion might give you a better idea on players ability in future.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

They weren’t Bert scored  near 40 goals for them in 4 season. Yes you were wrong about Bentancur glad you finally admitting that. Actually watching games rather than reading a forums opinion might give you a better idea on players ability in future.

They were. Towards the end, he couldn’t even get in their side and now he’s stuck plying his trade in Turkey and will probably go back there again next season. Lyon fans wanted him gone just like our club wanted him gone and paid for the privilege. He’ll be toast at the end of this campaign. On a similar level to Trezeguet and El Ghazi - not good enough. 

2 hours ago, gwi1890 said:

I could only find about 27 goals even including european competitions.

for what its worth, I thought he was alright for us in his first season, just not as good as his goals and assists suggest.  I’m just worried the injuries last season may have had a bigger impact on him than we realize.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

54 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

I could only find about 27 goals even including european competitions.

for what its worth, I thought he was alright for us in his first season, just not as good as his goals and assists suggest.  I’m just worried the injuries last season may have had a bigger impact on him than we realize.

Really where did you look?  

8 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Several sources but I realized they didn't include cup games. Yeah he scored a few in cup games that I didn't count. Even then it still only goes up to 33.

Its a decent return for a winger over 4 seasons

On 18/02/2023 at 08:28, Delphinho123 said:

They were. Towards the end, he couldn’t even get in their side and now he’s stuck plying his trade in Turkey and will probably go back there again next season. Lyon fans wanted him gone just like our club wanted him gone and paid for the privilege. He’ll be toast at the end of this campaign. On a similar level to Trezeguet and El Ghazi - not good enough. 

I'll continue to dispute this everytime I see it being mentioned as a fact. It was villalad who came up with the fact that the Lyon fans didn't rate him based on what a couple of people said. Go back in this thread by the time we signed him and you'll see my post where I went through quite a few Lyon fans communities and you can see that the picture was more nuanced.

• Thanks 1

On 18/02/2023 at 07:28, Delphinho123 said:

He's way above the levels of Trez and AEG. Everything says that - his stats, the eye test. I asked you in another thread specifically why you don't rate and have so much hate for him and you haven't replied.

If you don't back your extreme opinions up with something, people will start ignoring you.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

I'll continue to dispute this everytime I see it being mentioned as a fact. It was villalad who came up with the fact that the Lyon fans didn't rate him based on what a couple of people said. Go back in this thread by the time we signed him and you'll see my post where I went through quite a few Lyon fans communities and you can see that the picture was more nuanced.

I think it was Delphino too, hence the doubling down!

On 19/02/2023 at 00:14, gwi1890 said:

Really where did you look?  

33 in all comps. 21 league goals in Ligue 1 over 3 seasons. His last season only 1 goal in 1251 mins

17 of his goals all comps were playing centre forward

Edited by Kiwivillan

2 hours ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

I remember seeing Lyon fans comment on r/soccer on him before he signed for us. There were definitely a significant contingent of Lyon fans who were over the moon with him leaving although I’m sure there were also some with more nuanced opinions.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

4 hours ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

Lyon is a team I've always followed closely and I was very critical of the signing, mostly due to the fee.  Traore was in the Lyon doghouse, their fans despised him and he was getting limited playing time.  We could have easily signed him for under $10M and at that price I feel he would have been worth a punt.  How we ended-up paying close to $20M for him and including a 20% sell-on clause absolutely baffles me and part of the reason I remain a bit skeptical about Purslow and Lange's financial/negotiating nous. 

Similar to Bailey, for all the magic Traore creates, I feel he has too many liabilities and is a net negative.   

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

33 in all comps. 21 league goals in Ligue 1 over 3 seasons. His last season only 1 goal in 1251 mins

17 of his goals all comps were playing centre forward

I think his last season the manager tried play him as a wing back as he didnt play wingers

7 hours ago, Tom13 said:

He's way above the levels of Trez and AEG. Everything says that - his stats, the eye test. I asked you in another thread specifically why you don't rate and have so much hate for him and you haven't replied.

If you don't back your extreme opinions up with something, people will start ignoring you.

I don’t hate him I just don’t rate him. He may be slightly better than Trezeguet and El Ghazi but that’s all it is. Too slow, too weak and often finds himself in a good position only to completely mess up the situation. 

He’s not good enough, hence why we replaced him in the window we signed Bailey and Buendia. At that point, it was expected he’d be on the bench because the manager and the club knew he wouldn’t take us forward. Fast forward 12 months and the club made the decision it would be better to pay his wages to play for somebody else.

We can all romanticise about him coming back and suddenly being good enough to fire us into Europe but nothing will have changed. A couple of very good goals aside (El Ghazi scored better), he’s worth nowhere near what we paid for him and not of the level to help us get into the top half of this division. Probably not even good enough for a 15th/16th place side. 

You can disagree all you like and try to convince yourself using stats that he’s this brilliant wide player we’ve been missing but absence has just made your heart grow fonder. Emery will hardly play him and he’ll be shipped out to some no mark European team at the end of the season while we continue to pay him. 

He can take Buendia and Bailey with him too and finally, finally the club may actually sign a decent wide player with a bit of pace. 

Edited by Delphinho123

4 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

he’s worth nowhere near what we paid for him and not of the level to help us get into the top half of this division. Probably not even good enough for a 15th/16th place side. 

In last 5 years market he is cheap AF and 7 goals 6 assists first season paid for himself. I'd like all of our squad to improved by Emery and if they're not they'll be moved on. Every new signing at any club is a risk but I look forward to this unicorn wide player that you'll no doubt shit on eventually

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

I don’t hate him I just don’t rate him. He may be slightly better than Trezeguet and El Ghazi but that’s all it is. Too slow, too weak and often finds himself in a good position only to completely mess up the situation. 

He’s not good enough, hence why we replaced him in the window we signed Bailey and Buendia. At that point, it was expected he’d be on the bench because the manager and the club knew he wouldn’t take us forward. Fast forward 12 months and the club made the decision it would be better to pay his wages to play for somebody else.

We can all romanticise about him coming back and suddenly being good enough to fire us into Europe but nothing will have changed. A couple of very good goals aside (El Ghazi scored better), he’s worth nowhere near what we paid for him and not of the level to help us get into the top half of this division. Probably not even good enough for a 15th/16th place side. 

You can disagree all you like and try to convince yourself using stats that he’s this brilliant wide player we’ve been missing but absence has just made your heart grow fonder. Emery will hardly play him and he’ll be shipped out to some no mark European team at the end of the season while we continue to pay him. 

He can take Buendia and Bailey with him too and finally, finally the club may actually sign a decent wide player with a bit of pace. 

'Finds himself in a good position to completely mess up the situation' is simply not true mate.

1 hour ago, Kiwivillan said:

In last 5 years market he is cheap AF and 7 goals 6 assists first season paid for himself. I'd like all of our squad to improved by Emery and if they're not they'll be moved on. Every new signing at any club is a risk but I look forward to this unicorn wide player that you'll no doubt shit on eventually

I'll shit on who I please, thank you very much. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tom13 said:

'Finds himself in a good position to completely mess up the situation' is simply not true mate.

In your opinion. Just as in my opinion, he does. 

Either way. It's cool. Love a good, healthy debate. Can't we just go back to arguing over Buendia instead...?

• Like 1

Â