Emiliano Martínez

hippo

52 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I dont understand how its strange and 'wierd'. You seem to throw the world 'wierd' alot and its abit annoying. Someone that doesn't agree with your opinion you call wierd when its just someone having a opinion.

It was clear and obvious avoidable error that led to the defeat. Of course he will receive criticism for that like any player that makes a error. If olsen did that he gets pelters.  So consistency is key. When emi does well he gets praised when he makes avoidable mistakes like this he gets criticised.

Its not that difficult to understand or 'wierd'/ 'strange'

I specifically said he did deserve criticism.

What I said was weird was giving him the same sort of pelters you'd give Olsen. I don't agree that you can be consistent with that. Emi has built up credit from being excelelnt for us for a long time. Olsen makes errors every single time he plays for us. He's far more deserving of the "pelters" than Martinez

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

This is exactly what's happened.

I don't know if he's consciously done that. Maybe it moved in the air and at first he thought it was going further to his right.

But ultimately he didn't need to do a flying one handed save. He could have got two hands to it.
And to be fair even when he does go with one hand there's no excuse for not tipping it over.

It's a shocker, but it happens. We move on

I've not seen a great slo-mo replay of it but at first I thought it took a slight knick off Kamara which made the ball travel a bit higher than he expected.  Still should have saved it, mind you.

What I said was weird was giving him the same sort of pelters you'd give Olsen. I don't agree that you can be consistent with that. Emi has built up credit from being excelelnt for us for a long time. Olsen makes errors every single time he plays for us. He's far more deserving of the "pelters" than Martinez

Don’t drop to his level 🤣

Sorry 😙

• Haha 4

I'm really not convinced he was trying to do 'a save for the cameras' tbh. I think he got caught in two minds as to which hand to attempt the save with. I think for certain angles keepers are encouraged to use the hand that doesn't look like the natural one to use.

Edited by Tom13

19 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

I'll be honest I think he's tried to make that save look harder and better than it had to be.

I could never slate Emi for this, as it's actually the secret-but-not-really-that-secret goalkeeping rule #1 that we just don't actively tell people about.  Think we actually need to be doing all those rolls on the floor after dives?

But I've already said too much, they'll be sending Harald Schumacher round to take my gloves off me and running-knee me in the face just for typing that.

• Like 1

I specifically said he did deserve criticism.

We all know olsens a poorer keeper than martinez any one can see that but the point was martinez deserves some balanced criticism as that was poor from him. It completely changed the game and killed us.

We literally went on a attack the minute or so before the goal and were looking more dangerous.  When that went in it completely deflated us and killed any momentum.  We lost all belief. 

He knows it was poor so we wont focus too much on it. But we cant afford many more of these types of errors of we want to be challenging for  a CL spot.

Im confident emi will save us points more than cost us more like olsen would momd you. We move on to the next one where we expect his normal high standard 

15 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Touch of offside/player interfering with the view of Martinez for the first, that was tough.

But the flap for the second was awful, really embarrassing to be honest.

i dont think so, i think the villa players were blocking his view. The forest player is not in his line and moves away from the ball.

1 hour ago, Tom13 said:

I'm really not convinced he was trying to do 'a save for the cameras' tbh. I think he got caught in two minds as to which hand to attempt the save with. I think for certain angles keepers are encouraged to use the hand that doesn't look like the natural one to use.

agree, i think its just a poor save. Maybe hes not really concentrating, maybe the ball moves. I dont see him as a "camera save" keeper, he just didnt do very well for this one.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GarethRDR said:

they'll be sending Harald Schumacher round to take my gloves off me and running-knee me in the face just for typing that.

Quicker than going the dentist. 

he can put you out and remove teeth as quick as a flash 😬

• Like 1

Has been great sweeping and commanding his area, but has definitely let in a few that you scratch your head at.

Got enough credit at the bank sometimes I think the paucity of shots he faces (only Arsenal, Chelsea, and City face fewer shots than we do) is a different task than his keeping of previous years. He has to stay sharp no matter how uninvolved he is for most of the match.

On 05/11/2023 at 16:48, Steero113 said:

Man Utd in January. Let the ball go through his legs for Fernandes goal. 

August 2022 dropped the ball to Jesus against Arsenal. 

3 errors a year. I'll take it.

I've seen Olsen, Nyland, etc have 3 errors in one game😅

• Haha 3

29 minutes ago, ender4 said:

3 errors a year. I'll take it.

I've seen Olsen, Nyland, etc have 3 errors in one game😅

Yeah I never wonder “what the hell is Emi doing?”

I feel bad for him in general. Should have far more clean sheets to his name but some freak things (Konsa heading it in goal, Bowen deflection) and some shots you think have no chance (AZ long shot and Forest goals)

1 hour ago, Mic09 said:

I'm a goalkeeper myself and this is my take.

His attempt at saving the shot was better than the shot itself. 

He jumped so high and got a strong hand on it, instead of just tipping it over the bar. If the keeper was worse, that's what would have happened. 

Instead of using his fingers/palm at an angle, he was too high and literally stopped the ball from having any momentum to go across the bar. 

It's not a rookie mistake, it's not even a shitty goal in my opinion. It's that Emi attempted something too ambicious for what needed to be done.

In the grand scheme of things, I want a keeper that's a bit loco. He can have 2-3 "mistakes" a season in my opinion, because what he tries to do will save us 6-7 goals no normal keeper would save.

And since we didn't score ourselves, no point in putting any blame on him.

How often does it spin back like that though ?  He was a bit unlucky in that sense.

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

How often does it spin back like that though ?  He was a bit unlucky in that sense.

You can't judge the spin - you don't know what's gonna happen once it bounces off a hand. 

I once saved a pen, and the ball did exactly what happened with Martinez. It went in after flying 10 feet in the air. 

6 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

You can't judge the spin - you don't know what's gonna happen once it bounces off a hand. 

I once saved a pen, and the ball did exactly what happened with Martinez. It went in after flying 10 feet in the air. 

I knew I’d seen you somewhere before! 

Edited by It's Your Round
I know, I know, this wasn’t a save. Shows you what spin can do though.

Top, top goalkeeper, very happy he's with us and getting him at 20 million was a steal

Emi Martínez: “I had a discussion with Mikel Arteta, my coach at Arsenal, and I told him that my dream was to play for the national team and that for that I had to leave. He didn’t like it, but he understood, he told me he would give me an exit voucher and Aston Villa took a gamble on me. Thanks to this club, I was able to achieve my goal and this year we are playing in a European cup for the first time in thirteen years. It’s win-win.”

• Like 2

On 06/11/2023 at 17:44, DJBOB said:

Yeah I never wonder “what the hell is Emi doing?”

I feel bad for him in general. Should have far more clean sheets to his name but some freak things (Konsa heading it in goal, Bowen deflection) and some shots you think have no chance (AZ long shot and Forest goals)

That period when we conceded a deflection or a wonder strike in what felt like every game for about six months was insane.

The only weakness i have ever seen is low shots across his body. And even then the ones he has conceded have been drilled right into the corners. He will also make a gaffe once or twice a season. 

On the plus side. I have never worried less about a villa keeper coming flying out of his area or flying off his line.  I have never watched a villa keeper so brilliant at commanding his area. A villa keeper so great at catching crosses and freekicks. A villa keeper so good at making one on one saves.  A Villa keeper with so much athleticism for his build. And a keeper so good at penalties ( for his national team ) A Villa keeper so good with the ball at his feet ( he can give u a few palpitations but never a heart attack. )  and a keeper that exudes so much confidence in his defenders. They never lose their calm with him at the back no matter what happens. 

Pros far far outweigh any cons . He is a Villa legend already in the making that we will wax lyrical about to our grandkids

• Like 2

Â