Emiliano Martínez

hippo

What I don’t get about Emery criticising his time wasting is that Emi’s done it numerous times under Emery’s reign and started in the first half today. So what has Emery been saying to him about it? Has he ever actually addressed him about it and said to stop it. Did he tell them as a team to not do it during the half time talk. Cos if he didn’t and has not addressed it previously then he shares a bit of the responsibility.

Its become a bit of a trademark Emi move, the slow goal kicks/fake injuries etc so what is the goal keeping coach doing to stop it because given that he does it every time we are ahead, I would suggest that they have been pretty happy with it up to now. Or Emi has gone completely rogue and just does what he wants in matches which I doubt. 

It is embarrassing though and I don’t mind a bit of it from the 80th minute when you’re defending a narrow lead but not from the 10th.

4 hours ago, paul514 said:

Lol at the comments on here tonight.

This is the best keeper we have had for at least 25 years.

World Cup winner, best keeper at that world cup, just been voted the 2nd best keeper in the world

"get rid"

Would say it's madness but unfortunately it's also typical villa

• Like 2

3 hours ago, WallisFrizz said:

What I don’t get about Emery criticising his time wasting is that Emi’s done it numerous times under Emery’s reign and started in the first half today. So what has Emery been saying to him about it? Has he ever actually addressed him about it and said to stop it. Did he tell them as a team to not do it during the half time talk. Cos if he didn’t and has not addressed it previously then he shares a bit of the responsibility.

Its become a bit of a trademark Emi move, the slow goal kicks/fake injuries etc so what is the goal keeping coach doing to stop it because given that he does it every time we are ahead, I would suggest that they have been pretty happy with it up to now. Or Emi has gone completely rogue and just does what he wants in matches which I doubt. 

It is embarrassing though and I don’t mind a bit of it from the 80th minute when you’re defending a narrow lead but not from the 10th.

Opposite

He does it so much that it must be under instruction, there's no way he does it that much on hia own accord

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

So why be critical of our timewasting if it’s under instruction?

I think we do too much of it but at the same time don't think it's Emi alone

And I think we do it because it slows the game and momentum down, if we were a better team / when we are a better team I'd expect the midfield to make that happen

As it is at the moment we've replaced grealish winning soft free kicks and taking a minute off the clock to Emi holding on to the ball for a minute instead, both are rooted in the same problem which is our passing and moving the ball aren't good enough

I think all of our problems are rooted in our ability to pass and keep the ball, a top midfielder who is comfortable on the pass improves our attack and defence and reduces our time wasting

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Where was he critical of time wasting?

I only saw him say about not sending a keeper up for a corner.

I’m trying to find it, it may have been in the BT Sport or Sky sports post match interview.

There a long article in The Athletic today. It does sound a bit like Emery is on collision course with Martinez.

”Perhaps even more telling, though, is that Unai Emery, his own manager, is not a fan of his antics, believing that his side are slowing things down too often.

“We are not taking enough risks,” Emery said after the game.

“Football is to play, with combinations and to get the better of the player in front of you. We have to be the protagonists but we are not.

“We are also wasting more time than I want. I want us to impose ourselves on teams and to take responsibility.

“I’m disappointed, frustrated and embarrassed to concede four goals again. Eight goals at home in two matches is not normal and the performances cannot continue like this.”

It’s also unlikely Martinez will be going up to for corners in the future with Emery saying: “He decided himself to go up but I told him I don’t like it,” before correctly adding that the chances of scoring from such a situation are slim.”

https://theathletic.com/4225559/2023/02/19/emi-martinezs-antics-backfire-as-he-unwittingly-reboots-arsenals-title-bid/?source=user_shared_article

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

There a long article in The Athletic today. It does sound a bit like Emery is on collision course with Martinez.

”Perhaps even more telling, though, is that Unai Emery, his own manager, is not a fan of his antics, believing that his side are slowing things down too often.

“Football is to play, with combinations and to get the better of the player in front of you. We have to be the protagonists but we are not.

“We are also wasting more time than I want. I want us to impose ourselves on teams and to take responsibility.

“I’m disappointed, frustrated and embarrassed to concede four goals again. Eight goals at home in two matches is not normal and the performances cannot continue like this.”

It’s also unlikely Martinez will be going up to for corners in the future with Emery saying: “He decided himself to go up but I told him I don’t like it,” before correctly adding that the chances of scoring from such a situation are slim.”

https://theathletic.com/4225559/2023/02/19/emi-martinezs-antics-backfire-as-he-unwittingly-reboots-arsenals-title-bid/?source=user_shared_article

Gregg Evans stirring up trouble by any chance? Focussing on the negative?

let-me-show-you.gif

In case anyone is wondering about "for his career...he knows" he clearly means for the future he knows.

Bottom line is, a Goalkeeper is employed by a football club to first and foremost keep the ball from going in the net. 

At the moment, Emi seems more interested in theatrics & time wasting. 

The OG was a freak thing, you could watch another 100 games today and not see that but what you won't see is a GK constantly wasting time - he seems to do it every game, every goal kick, every time he has the ball and inviting uneeded pressure onto the back line with poor decision making with distribution. 

It's them things he needs to cut out as it is costing us massively. 

Just now, UpTheVilla26 said:

Bottom line is, a Goalkeeper is employed by a football club to first and foremost keep the ball from going in the net. 

At the moment, Emi seems more interested in theatrics & time wasting. 

Sure, I'm sure when he comes out for yet another cross that no other keeper in the league would handle, his mind really is on that 10 extra seconds he can waste later on.

This thread is bonkers.

Yeah, it's an annoying habit. But it doesn't cost us games. 

49 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

And I would agree with all that. Therefore in my humble opinion criticism of Martinez is valid. 

I'm not saying get rid at all, it's OK to criticise a player without thinking he's shit or want him out.  Doing nothing but blowing smoke up someone's arse regardless of how talanted they are is not good for them. 

• Like 1

Nobody is saying sell now. People are criticising his theatrics and the fact that he’s blatantly ignoring Unai’s instructions. I could only imagine how livid he would have been seeing him run up for the like that. The best case scenario is that he actually listens to Unai moving forward. We don’t want a situation where there’s more tensions. I think the possibility of cashing in remains slim, but it’s ultimately Unai’s call, and only if we find a top quality replacement. 

Edited by The_Steve

Â