Emiliano Martínez

hippo

Dangerous times. EMI has achieved possibly the pinnacle of his career by winning the World Cup. He now returns to a mid table premier league team (who he loves, I know that) but who are unlikely to win much in the next 5 months, possibly ( very likely) a lot longer. His mentor since he joined the club has left and the new manager ‘didn’t  fancy him much ‘ at a previous club (apparently). Will he find the motivation to achieve the levels that we need him to achieve in order to earn the points we desperately need to finish as high as possible ? Or will he subconsciously go through the motions and perform at a mediocre level.? I have no idea but if a massive bid is offered then we should sell. I know our second choice is not a replacement but if the recruitment team are doing their job properly there must be a list of replacements for every position that can be persued in January.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, smg said:

Dangerous times. EMI has achieved possibly the pinnacle of his career by winning the World Cup. He now returns to a mid table premier league team (who he loves, I know that) but who are unlikely to win much in the next 5 months, possibly ( very likely) a lot longer. His mentor since he joined the club has left and the new manager ‘didn’t  fancy him much ‘ at a previous club (apparently). Will he find the motivation to achieve the levels that we need him to achieve in order to earn the points we desperately need to finish as high as possible ? Or will he subconsciously go through the motions and perform at a mediocre level.? I have no idea but if a massive bid is offered then we should sell. I know our second choice is not a replacement but if the recruitment team are doing their job properly there must be a list of replacements for every position that can be persued in January.

Good post - my thoughts as well. 

We all know that Jack at his best playing regularly always comes out near the top for chance creation, key passes, ball carries etc.

You can't compare how effective he is to Martinez. Different leagues. Martinez had a 46% save ratio during the World Cup. Great in shootouts but he's not some elite keeper, unfortunately.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, est1874 said:

He will leave at the first sniff of playing Champions League football for an elite club and it will be no surprise to realists, or anyone with a brain.

And we won't say no because we are a selling club.

He played for Arsenal for 7 years or so and they were in the Champions League

From your posts you sound like you would be delighted we sold him

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, smg said:

We just hired one of the most successful managers in European football. Mourinho, Pep, Klopp, Ancelotti and Conte are the only managers about with better CVs

Edited by Zatman

22 minutes ago, Zatman said:

He played for Arsenal for 7 years or so and they were in the Champions League

From your posts you sound like you would be delighted we sold him

This is the most disingenuous post I've seen on here, which is saying a lot.

23 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Quite like the absolute BS narrative picking up steam everywhere that he's fairly average.

Same happened with Grealish until it simply couldn't be denied anymore. People hate Villa having a top player. It confuses them, so they justify it by talking the player down.

Emi is absolutely brilliant. Hasn't played his best for a while, but he's a very very good player. Only keepers markedly better than him in the league are Ederson and Allison. 

When was he last at his best? As you only have a very small sample size to pick from as it is.

2 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

When was he last at his best? As you only have a very small sample size to pick from as it is.

You are making some correct points - Martinez has not been at his best this season. However, I fear you are being blinded by your dislike of the guy and are drawing too many conclusions.

He is the best keeper we have had in a very long time and is vital to this team as he showed in 21/22. I wouldn't be surprised if he became captain in the future.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Catapulted him to another 50 million on his price then.

His ability hasn't suddenly skyrocketed due to winning the World Cup.

Just his " star quality "

We now have the Messi of Goalkeepers! 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Steero113 said:

If Emi is sold, with or without you mate I think we should get in Bono. Sure would make it a beautiful day at VP, would be a magnificent signing and wouldn't surprise me as we know Lange works in Mysterious Ways. 

Get out!

• Like 2

13 hours ago, est1874 said:

He will leave at the first sniff of playing Champions League football for an elite club and it will be no surprise to realists, or anyone with a brain.

And we won't say no because we are a selling club.

Fancy a friendly bet he will be here at least another season?

3 minutes ago, VillaLion63 said:

Got to admit I am not happy reading about his antics and all the "baggage" surrounding him at the moment.

Does make me think if we get a really good offer whether it would be a good time to cash in.

What baggage and antics? 

Our previous captain done a lot worse

• Like 3

Â