Emiliano Martínez

hippo

1 minute ago, duke313 said:

Even the "elite" lose players to bigger clubs, there is a hierarchy no matter how big your club is.  United lost Ronaldo to Real Madrid, Liverpool lost Coutinho to Barcelona, Arsenal lost half a squad to Man City over the years. 

I want Emi to stay, but if someone comes in for him, and meets our valuation then Emi will go.  

I mean, the football 'hierarchy' is an abstract theoretical concept. This aside, you can move up a hierarchy (as Man City have seemingly done), so this is what we need to be aiming to achieve and you can't achieve this by having an inferiority complex. The club needs to conduct itself like a major force, both to attract and to keep players. The fans need to believe it too.

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, robby b said:

Because Emery left him out of the team at Arsenal I've wondered if he might have made an apology to him or tried to patch things up somehow... and if there's a rift between them and if Emi wants to leave Villa asap, e.g. in January, because of it. :s

What?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Beastmix said:

I mean, the football 'hierarchy' is an abstract theoretical concept. This aside, you can move up a hierarchy (as Man City have seemingly done), so this is what we need to be aiming to achieve and you can't achieve this by having an inferiority complex. The club needs to conduct itself like a major force, both to attract and to keep players. The fans need to believe it too.

Hopefully we've made a start on that with rejecting Arsenal bids for Luiz in January.

But we've been stung too many times in the past as Villa fans, once we get something good someone always comes along to take it.  

Man City could afford Grealish and he had a release clause. I would imagine the club would be more like Spurs and Kane if anyone came for one of our players who has 4 and a half years left on his deal. 

If we don't make progress in next 18 months of course our top players would be more keen on leaving. 

Just now, duke313 said:

Hopefully we've made a start on that with rejecting Arsenal bids for Luiz in January.

But we've been stung too many times in the past as Villa fans, once we get something good someone always comes along to take it.  

We need to become the club players heads are turned towards, rather than away from.

As you say, we really don't deserve this cycle of buy/grow to love/sell all the time.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

His stock as a goalkeeper is about as high as it gets now. It actually eclipses his ability, and that's coming from someone who rates him very highly.

It'll be interesting to see what happens in the Summer. If he's happy at Villa then we carry on having the best goalkeeper in the world, on reputation, playing for our club.

If somebody wants to buy him it's going to cost them a world record fee for a keeper

There are only about 10 clubs in the world that could currently afford him, and most of them don't need keepers currently.  Our best hope in keeping him is that we price him out of a move from the 2-3 that will need a keeper, in the hope they look for cheaper options.  Emi won't kick up a fuss, so we hold all the cards. 

1 hour ago, UpTheVilla26 said:

I saw it on the BBC 'gossip' column and apparently they've lifted it from Lefoot. 

Thanks - I double checked the article and the journalist admits Emi doesn’t leave but apparently we couldn’t refuse Bayern 🙃🙃🙃

In reality what’s Emi worth right now? WC winner, WC golden glove winner, Copa America winner, long term contract. 

You’d have to think record fee for a keeper, so minimum £75m. I think if any club comes in with that type of money he’ll go. I just can’t see that happening in Jan. Maybe next summer! 

2 minutes ago, Herman22 said:

In reality what’s Emi worth right now? WC winner, WC golden glove winner, Copa America winner, long term contract. 

You’d have to think record fee for a keeper, so minimum £75m. I think if any club comes in with that type of money he’ll go. I just can’t see that happening in Jan. Maybe next summer! 

Unless we can spend big in the Summer and give ourselves the potential to win a trophy and finish top six.

This may convince him to stick around, that is if he needs convincing?

6 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Unless we can spend big in the Summer and give ourselves the potential to win a trophy and finish top six.

This may convince him to stick around, that is if he needs convincing?

I don't think he needs convincing to stay> i think he's happy.

The challenge is IF a club who can afford to spend 70-80m on a keeper comes in, they're going to be an elite club. Keeping him with that kind of interest is a whole other challenge

12 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Who have we cashed in on since new owners came in? Clause was met for Grealish. The club had no choice. 

Did the contract with the buyout clause just fall out of the sky? We didn't have to do that deal, but we did it content in the knowledge we'd probably be forced to sell him. The plus side was getting 100m for him, so we were happy enough to do that.

Which supports what I've said - when faced with a choice to hold on to a player a bit longer or sell, we sell.

Spurs will probably lose their biggest assets for nothing, or a lot less than they're worth at least. They're content to do that as they know they're better off with them than without them for the short term. 

With Grealish, we'd have finished top 10 and maybe pushed for Europe last season. Without him - damp squib. But hey, 100m in the bank and the Excel spreadsheet turned green for a year. Yayyyyy

We'll do the same with Emi. Might even replicate the situation, sign him up to a new contract for the PR / fan service and not tell everyone that there's a nice fat release clause in there for £80m which gets triggered after a year.

8 minutes ago, est1874 said:

Did the contract with the buyout clause just fall out of the sky? We didn't have to do that deal, but we did it content in the knowledge we'd probably be forced to sell him. The plus side was getting 100m for him, so we were happy enough to do that.

Which supports what I've said - when faced with a choice to hold on to a player a bit longer or sell, we sell.

Spurs will probably lose their biggest assets for nothing, or a lot less than they're worth at least. They're content to do that as they know they're better off with them than without them for the short term. 

With Grealish, we'd have finished top 10 and maybe pushed for Europe last season. Without him - damp squib. But hey, 100m in the bank and the Excel spreadsheet turned green for a year. Yayyyyy

We'll do the same with Emi. Might even replicate the situation, sign him up to a new contract for the PR / fan service and not tell everyone that there's a nice fat release clause in there for £80m which gets triggered after a year.

I don’t think Jack would have signed a new deal without the clause. Plus I don’t think anybody for a second really believed a team would pay 100m for him. City did it for commercial reasons and are most likely regretting it.  They’ll take a massive loss on him eventually, 

Emi may have a release clause but for a club in our situation that may be the only way to to tie people down. Bit unfair to compare us to Spurs at the moment. I think the owners are doing more than most clubs in our position to keep our better players.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

After we win the FA Cup this season thanks to Emi saving loads of pens won’t we be playing in the Champions League next year anyway? Or did I make that up?

You made it up.  Winning the FA Cup gets you into Europa League.

49 minutes ago, est1874 said:

Going to keep this short since it's the Emi thread. You act like after blocking Grealish of a massive contract with city he would have bothered turning up. Grealish wanting to leave was an open secret. The only reason he got that contract with the release clause is because we almost lost him to Manchester United for a lot less that previous summer. 

I don’t think either Emi were great fans of Jack, Dibu was late to wish him well when he left and Emi2 didn’t even post anything. I think there’s a very clear difference in attitude. He has all he needs to be a success here. 

Â