Emiliano Martínez

hippo

12 minutes ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

The prudes are coming out in full force I see.

Sportsmanship is a virtue. His pelvic thrusts with his award on stage post match disrespects his opponent and his hosts.

I can excuse it in the heat of the moment, and enjoyed it the first time or two. But during the ceremony after the biggest match most of those players will ever play and in front of 1.5 billion viewers whilst representing Villa...it's entirely different and it's embarrassing. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Zatman said:

On the lack of sportsmanship rubbish, is players not bringing the ball to the corner flag also not unsportsmanlike

He didnt break any rules or he would have been stopped

It's exactly like any player throwing a ball a few yards out for opposition throw in. Or standing in front of the ball when opposition have a free kick. 

Nothing "unsporstaman" like about it. It was smart, as it was a psychological game. 

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

I don't think Emi will be back for the Liverpool game. He will want to soak it all in back in Argentina and spend a bit of time celebrating. It might be the only time he gets to win a World Cup, so who can blame him?! 

I don’t think anybody expects him back to be fair.  Hopefully back for the Spurs game.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

It's exactly like any player throwing a ball a few yards out for opposition throw in. Or standing in front of the ball when opposition have a free kick. 

Nothing "unsporstaman" like about it. It was smart, as it was a psychological game. 

Quite right.  Shit talking goes on in all sports. Goes on in every walk of life, from banter on a message board to taking the piss on the pitch, on a park pitch, on a professional pitch, it doesn't matter. Throwing the ball away in football happens in every game, throw ins and freekicks being a perfect example of this. Yet in this instance it's a problem. Those moaning need to seriously get a grip.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Sportsmanship is a virtue. His pelvic thrusts with his award on stage post match disrespects his opponent and his hosts.

I can excuse it in the heat of the moment, and enjoyed it the first time or two. But during the ceremony after the biggest match most of those players will ever play and in front of 1.5 billion viewers whilst representing Villa...it's entirely different and it's embarrassing. 

😴😴😴😴😴

1 hour ago, maqroll said:

Not to put a damper on things but I can't escape the feeling that Emi's  antics don't reflect particularly well on AVFC.

I understand he's a bit eccentric and whatnot and I enjoy his goofiness..to a point. The thing with the glove  and when he does that after a big save is getting old fast. It was funny the first time. But now it makes him look like an idiot.

An idiot who has just won the WC and will probably have a statue made of him.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Zatman said:

On the lack of sportsmanship rubbish, is players not bringing the ball to the corner flag also not unsportsmanlike

He didnt break any rules or he would have been stopped

Apples and oranges for me.

Martinez throwing the ball away is closer to kicking the ball away after the ref has awarded a free kick. 

Taking the ball into the corner is more “I’m going to try and nullify the game, your job is to try and stop me”. I don’t think it’s unsportsmanlike as such. 

You can argue they’re both a kinda game management in oneupmanship I suppose. I think one is pettier than the other.

For the record, while I think throwing the ball away is unsportsmanlike, I think the whole thing has been blown up way out of proportion and it was ultimately on the French player to at least hit the target.

Edited by Mark Albrighton
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Frankly, the disgusting regime who bought, murdered and sportswashed their way to gaining those 1.5 billion viewers deserved every ounce of disrespect that came their way. 

Beckham, Infantino and the other hypocrites are the ones who aught to be embarrassed. 

• Like 4

The gesture at the ceremony was classless. It's one thing to do it on the field; it's another to do it at a moment that should be dignified.

That said, I can overlook it because I know that Emi wasn't trying to be classless. He simply is a little nutty.

2 hours ago, romavillan said:

Italian media making a big deal out of his phallic trophy moment. Wonder if that's the same elsewhere in Europe. In Naples at least he will be a legend for a very long time, Argentina victory celebrated all night down there!

Are they pro-Argentina because of Maradona's legacy, because so many people from there emigrated to Argentina, or a little of both?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TomC said:

Are they pro-Argentina because of Maradona's legacy, because so many people from there emigrated to Argentina, or a little of both?

the South dont associate themselves with Italy and Maradona is the biggest hero in Napoli. Italy vs Argentina in Naples in 90 they booed Italy and cheered for Argentina because Maradona was playing and he made some famous quote that Italians treat them like shit except this one day of the year so the fans turned on Italy

Â