Emiliano Martínez

hippo

25 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

I wouldn’t sell him. He is a leader in the team and not someone who shirks when things get difficult.

We should've made him captain in the summer. He was obvious choice once it was deemed Mings would no longer have the role.

He was captain v Man. United wasn't he with McGinn dropped so in short run that is easy decision for club to keep him engaged with us.

Do worry someone like Atletico Madrid might be interested. Oblak contract is running down, they're always in CL, he's previously lived in Madrid playing for Getafe on loan and they have argentine manager and many players.

Hopefully he's miles out of their price range as we're in nice position as he signed new long term deal exactly a year ago IIRC.

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

We should've made him captain in the summer. He was obvious choice once it was deemed Mings would no longer have the role.

He was captain v Man. United wasn't he with McGinn dropped so in short run that is easy decision for club to keep him engaged with us.

Do worry someone like Atletico Madrid might be interested. Oblak contract is running down, they're always in CL, he's previously lived in Madrid playing for Getafe on loan and they have argentine manager and many players.

Hopefully he's miles out of their price range as we're in nice position as he signed new long term deal exactly a year ago IIRC.

Atletico can’t afford him. If he goes it’s for a record fee to probably someone like United or Chelsea

4 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Atletico can’t afford him. If he goes it’s for a record fee to probably someone like United or Chelsea

Yes for sure. With his long term contract and all he's achieved in last 18 months the ballpark figure will be in Grealish category.

Can see Chelsea signing the Brighton keeper if Potter survives until the summer.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Utd won't shift de gea because of his wages and don't get me wrong Chelsea are bat shit crazy but mendy won fifa keeper of thr year last year and his back up is the most expensive keeper in history (who I'm also guessing is still there because they can't shift him)

1 hour ago, Osirus said:

Thought he should have saved both Mbappe goals, 5/10 

I expect better come Boxing Day 

Nah. He got a hand to the first penalty but it just had too much on it. I don't think Neuer would have stopped that one.

On the one from open play, Mbappé could have gone to either side. Emi guessed to his own right, which was wrong, and his weight was going the wrong way, but he still recovered and got a hand to it. It was excellent reflexes to get even a hand to it.

He guessed the wrong way on the penalty for the third goal, but hey, that happens.

I can't really fault much in his performance.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

spacer.png

If this didn't happen we likely would've been relegated, Emi wouldn't have come to Villa, he wouldn't have been selected for Argentina and he wouldn't have been able to carry them to three trophies in a row.

When you think about it, both Emi and Messi have a lot to thank Nyland for.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

No idea about the translation but there seems to be a bit of a backlash about this already.

What are we saying? A bit of a rude gesture? Caught in the moment? Funny as ****?

Caught in the moment for sure. Things like this should be excused when endorphins and adrenaline are firing like crazy.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I think he'll give it a go. Will get an amazing reception from Holte End when he runs over which will send the atmosphere up a notch.

I presume the timetable is Argentina fly back tomorrow, do trophy presentation to crowd on the Tuesday and then players go back to clubs Wednesday/Thursday and then decide when they next play but he'll have time to train.

Remember last season with the quarantine rules at the time he was coming back off planes from Greece and playing for us a few hours later.

Is Steer fit yet? Don't really want to see Olsen against any top level attack after the Man. United debacle. 

I hope he does make it back, our backups aren't even close to his level, fit or not. I just meant I could understand if he didn't.

I can't see Messi being back in Paris a week on Wednesday.

5 minutes ago, Greenfly said:

If this didn't happen we likely would've been relegated, Emi wouldn't have come to Villa, he wouldn't have been selected for Argentina and he wouldn't have been able to carry them to three trophies in a row.

When you think about it, both Emi and Messi have a lot to thank Nyland for.

Except there were still God knows how many games left that season, and a lot of football left in that game. If that goal had counted, it doesn't anywhere near guarantee we'd have gone down.

• Like 1

Â