Attending games 2020-21

OutByEaster?

Many of you will have received a survey from the club about your feelings on attending games in the coming season.

Given that we've got 30,000 season ticket holders and more than 20,000 members but will only be able to accommodate around 10,000 people per game by the looks of things, what are your thoughts on the best way to do it?

• Sad 1

Personally, I'd limit attendance only to people who held a season ticket last season - then ballot those 30,000 people and select the 10,000 winners for the first game, ballot the remaining 20,000 for the second game and then invite the last 10,000 to the third game, before starting the whole process again. With a couple of home cup draws that would mean each season ticket holder would get to go to seven home games.

However, there's an argument that says that within that group of 30,000 some priority should be given to the most long standing - so for example those with more than ten years with a season ticket should get to see more games - for me the problem with that is that I reckon we probably got more than 10,000 season ticket holders with more than 10 years behind them - imagine not being able to go until Christmas because you've only held a season ticket for nine years.

It's going to be tricky and I think there will be people that miss out.

• Like 3

Being diabetic I'm not going anywhere until I've been vaccinated or proven that I've had it and can't get it agqin/worse. 

We're months away from either of those scenarios so I've got a wait. 

Then again I'm not sure I would like to attend such an empty Villa Park anyway. 

4 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Personally, I'd limit attendance only to people who held a season ticket last season - then ballot those 30,000 people and select the 10,000 winners for the first game, ballot the remaining 20,000 for the second game and then invite the last 10,000 to the third game, before starting the whole process again. With a couple of home cup draws that would mean each season ticket holder would get to go to seven home games.

However, there's an argument that says that within that group of 30,000 some priority should be given to the most long standing - so for example those with more than ten years with a season ticket should get to see more games - for me the problem with that is that I reckon we probably got more than 10,000 season ticket holders with more than 10 years behind them - imagine not being able to go until Christmas because you've only held a season ticket for nine years.

It's going to be tricky and I think there will be people that miss out.

I’ve voted similar saying if you attend you don’t attend for 3 matches. For me only fair way of getting everyone to game who has had a ST last few years 

• Like 1

There are a couple of worrying things for me in the survey:

• If this has gone out to everyone registered in the ticket system, non-season ticket holder will be in the majority - if they vote for a completely random ballot of everyone, member or not, then as a 20 year season ticket holder, I could end up getting tickets to more than a couple of games over the course of the season - there will be 60,000 people in that ballot and 10,000 tickets.
  • There's an option where you pay to be in the ballot - essentially turning attendance at Villa Park into a money spinning lottery - that one is taking the piss I think.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

• If this has gone out to everyone registered in the ticket system, non-season ticket holder will be in the majority - if they vote for a completely random ballot of everyone, member or not, then as a 20 year season ticket holder, I could end up getting tickets to more than a couple of games over the course of the season - there will be 60,000 people in that ballot and 10,000 tickets.
  • There's an option where you pay to be in the ballot - essentially turning attendance at Villa Park into a money spinning lottery - that one is taking the piss I think.

I'm in the system, not been a ST holder for many years (well, not ever on this account), and I haven't had an email.

Edited by fightoffyour
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I'm only a member as I couldn't get a season ticket this year, now on that possibly never ending waiting list 😪. I voted for season ticket holders, it's the only fair way to do it. Would be a farce if I got a ticket over a season ticket holder, let a lone one who'd had one for years!

• Like 2

Last season was my 32nd year on the spin as a season ticket holder so I guess from a purely selfish point of view I could say give priority to those who have been st holders for the longest. I don't see that as fair though as I have just been fortunate enough to have been able to find the money and the time to attend regularly over a long period of time and am also fortunate that I am now becoming an old bastard. That shouldn't mean I get an advantage over a much younger supporter.

You also have to consider a lot of people go together with family and friends and wouldn't want to now go on their own and it is likely in a ballot you would not be picked alongside the people you regularly sit with.

If there are going to be 190k tickets available for prem games next season then I'd give each ST holder from last season 4 or 5 games then the remaining 40k-70k tickets are given to members/none st holders with a decent booking history.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, markavfc40 said:

Last season was my 32nd year on the spin as a season ticket holder so I guess from a purely selfish point of view I could say give priority to those who have been st holders for the longest. I don't see that as fair though as I have just been fortunate enough to have been able to find the money and the time to attend regularly over a long period of time and am also fortunate that I am now becoming an old bastard. That shouldn't mean I get an advantage over a much younger supporter.

You also have to consider a lot of people go together with family and friends and wouldn't want to now go on their own and it is likely in a ballot you would not be picked alongside the people you regularly sit with.

If there are going to be 190k tickets available for prem games next season then I'd give each ST holder from last season 4 or 5 games then the remaining 40k-70k tickets are given to members/none st holders with a decent booking history.

Hmm, so how about this, as some kind of compromise... only ST holders for about 75/80% of the home league games and only non-ST holders (just members or mainly members with a few non-members too, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory lucky golden ticket style) for the remaining 20/25%? But for the non-ST holders just one match each maximum? That way some younger fans can maybe attend a match, with a bit of luck. Maybe their first ever in some cases.

I'm not an ST holder or a member. I've only been to three home games before. And I agree with and respect ST holders and members having priority over me.

Edited by robby b
  • Like 1

I have my views, none of them strong, on how things could/should/would work but what would be really interesting is what peoples views about attending are first and foremost. Can someone add a poll to this thread;

Would you attend Villa Park for a game in 20/21?

Yes, in any circumstance

Yes, in a reduced crowd

Yes, once there is a vaccine/ lockdown has been entirely lifted

No, not until full crowd (atmosphere)

No, it's not safe

I am a season ticket holder, about 7 years in this stint (have been before also), and haven't had a questionnaire.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Many of you will have received a survey from the club about your feelings on attending games in the coming season.

Given that we've got 30,000 season ticket holders and more than 20,000 members but will only be able to accommodate around 10,000 people per game by the looks of things, what are your thoughts on the best way to do it?

Wow. :s So, in normal times, do nearly all the 20,000+ members go to the same game often? If so it must be really hard for people who are neither ST holders or members to get a ticket. I think I might become a member afterall! (I nearly did two years ago but then wasn't sure if I could afford it at the time).

Assuming they start with ST holders, I think they should ask each person if they intend on attending first. Then, based on the number of 'Yes' answers; they could allocate an equal amount of matches randomly. There would need to be the option to 'trade' back matches (similar to the resale system last season) in case of clashes with prior commitments (e.g. you'd be pretty annoyed if you were allocated three matches for the season and one clashed with a family wedding) or if people are self-isolating - something that could be commonplace if track & trace is ever going to be successful (ha!).

They wouldn't have to allocate to ST holders only if they wanted to hold some back for members and maybe even non-members - but they could weight it so that ST holders get to attend the most games, then members and so on. As a ST holder, I would be hoping to get to at least 4 matches this season, bearing in mind there are 18 league games available at a maximum - less if they start later into October.

Not sure how they will work around people that want to go in a group. It was interesting that the question in the survey mentioned household/social bubble members of up to 6 - maybe they will ask fans to nominate other client ref numbers that they would like to sit with and allocate those people to the same matches - quite a lot of logistics involved in planning that though as it would affect gaps left between people in rows etc. I go on my own anyway so wouldn't be bothered by this but I know it's a real social thing for a lot of fans and many wouldn't want to go alone. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

I'm in the system, not been a ST holder for many years (well, not ever on this account), and I haven't had an email.

Yep, same. I’m in the system, haven’t received an email. Obviously I wouldn’t feel right taking the survey even if I had gotten it, my location makes it virtually impossible to get to VP until a vaccine pops up.

I've had my e-mail. I suggested the club could try to arrange for the purchase of match passes with Sky/BT to be made available via the club for home and possibly away games. I also suggested that AVTV live streams be made available for purchase by the club for none televised games (as a means for them, to get some more money in for home games (which could also do the same for away clubs, who would not get ticket sales from away fans). Otherwise even ST holders are likely to see 1 home game in every 4, at best it seems and the odd game on TV. 

Edited by John
  • Like 3

Â