Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

3 hours ago, nick76 said:

Yes very true until it isn’t.  While history gives us a guide to the future it’s far from certain.  Relying on Ollie continuing to being fit 99% of the time is incredibly risky, one bad moment and we are in trouble.  Fortunately according to Emery this is a minor injury currently but not having a significant back up could hinder a season that has started so well.  Duran is so raw.

Spurs haven't replaced Kane. Liverpool not relying on a striker. City don't have Haaland back up, Alvarez is no different to likes of Diaby and so on and so on

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Spurs haven't replaced Kane. Liverpool not relying on a striker. City don't have Haaland back up, Alvarez is no different to likes of Diaby and so on and so on

So other clubs taking that chance means we should too? City once thought 3 top centre halves was enough and then 2 got injured. Cost them the title. Ollie might be fit all season and then nothing to worry about. But if he gets injured you can kiss any hopes of top 4 goodbye.

10 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

So other clubs taking that chance means we should too? City once thought 3 top centre halves was enough and then 2 got injured. Cost them the title. Ollie might be fit all season and then nothing to worry about. But if he gets injured you can kiss any hopes of top 4 goodbye.

Why did Emery get rid of Ings? He must be clueless

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

We’ve had this discussion before and we don’t agree.  I don’t agree on your interpretation of it so I’m not going rehash it.

38 minutes ago, nick76 said:

We’ve had this discussion before and we don’t agree.  I don’t agree on your interpretation of it so I’m not going rehash it.

Fair enough. I genuinely believe we can challenge for the title with current squad

2 hours ago, Frodo said:

Just thought I'd pass this on ...... customer of mine was at the Priory hospital yesterday & walked out the toilet to see Ollie Watkins, not sure what it means, just thought I'd pass it on 👍

A scan maybe?

Im guessing he wasn’t limping or on crutches/booted up or your customer would have mentioned it.

2 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Fair enough. I genuinely believe we can challenge for the title with current squad

For the title? Wow that’s beyond what I was thinking. I don’t think we can make a serious challenge for the title with the current squad, that would mean about 90 points plus, I think we are 70-80 point team if things go well and I think the top three are the next level up with City being 90+ points this season because they haven’t even got out of second gear yet which they generally do second half of the season so expect them to go on the run.  I still think we are a bit short of top top quality in a couple of places to even consider a serious title challenge imo.

13 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Why did Emery get rid of Ings? He must be clueless

Because an opportunity arose to get money for him that wasn’t likely to arise again. That’s what we’ll run management is all about. It was a good decision at the time and fairlylow risk for us, WestHam and the player. Grown up thinking,I’m sure you could ask an adulting your house to help?

I'd have him in the squad even if he isn't 100%. As long as it isn't a injury that they feel might get worse if he plays. He is so important that even a 20 min cameo might change the result of the game. With Kamara out we have a spot on the bench that will be made up by a player who is unlikely to play regardless. Ideally we can leave Watkins on the bench if he's not 100%. But I'd still feel more comfortable with having him as an option if all possible.

4 hours ago, Frodo said:

Just thought I'd pass this on ...... customer of mine was at the Priory hospital yesterday & walked out the toilet to see Ollie Watkins, not sure what it means, just thought I'd pass it on 👍

A couple of years ago I took my wife to the Heath Lodge Clinic in Knowle which is just for scans only and saw Trarore there so assumed that was where Villa got their scans done but maybe things have changed since Unai replaced all the medical staff.

At the Priory, you could get a scan and / or a consultant appointment.

Edited by Deano & Dalian's Umbrella

John mcginn had started Watkins in his FPL team, as club captain and teams usually picked prior to matchday you would expect him to be ITK with regard to this matter so hopefully we see him in the starting lineup tommorow and he bags a couple 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Frodo said:

More than a "knock" by the sounds of it if he's having scans at the Priory.

Let's hope he's not out for too long, losing him over the xmas period would stall the season a bit I think.

29 minutes ago, Villatillidie95 said:

John mcginn had started Watkins in his FPL team, as club captain and teams usually picked prior to matchday you would expect him to be ITK with regard to this matter so hopefully we see him in the starting lineup tommorow and he bags a couple 

Oh god, are they still doing that? Haha. Who was it we found out was injured seriously because Targett took him out his team?

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, turvontour said:

Oh god, are they still doing that? Haha. Who was it we found out was injured seriously because Targett took him out his team?

Biscuit shins 

10 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

Because an opportunity arose to get money for him that wasn’t likely to arise again. That’s what we’ll run management is all about. It was a good decision at the time and fairlylow risk for us, WestHam and the player. Grown up thinking,I’m sure you could ask an adulting your house to help?

Everyone is for sale at the right price. Gotta hit the bid when it's aggressive.

• Like 1

The talk of getting another striker is great in theory, and if you were playing football manager it could even be a reality.

Unfortunately in the real world... It doesn't work because even the top teams (so called 😁) can't even find a capable striker to sit on the bench on the off chance he might get a run of games if no.1 striker gets injured.

Duran is 19 years old and he's already kicked off about being on the bench!!!

If Watkins got a serious injury before the end of January I am certain there would be the cash to lure someone in, even a 6 month loan. If he was to get injured after the window shuts then we have to back our squad in.

Now there are no other "Ollie Watkins" to just come off the bench but we have players that could more than suit the makeshift striker role at a pinch.

Then another reason why I don't feel we need to rush to sign a striker is the fact that we have this reasonably good manager named Unai Emery! I would back him with all his managerial experience over several countries and his proven success to have a solution.

Look at the success he has had with weakened squads in other leagues.

The concept to our top 4 chances being blown if Watkins was to be out for a lengthy period could be applied to other players too. Martinez for one would be a far bigger concern to me.

You build a squad for the long game, you don't panic buy for any short term ifs, buts and maybes.

Edited by Villan_of_oz
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Â