Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

9 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Make of this what you will:

Ollie averages a goal every 264 minutes for us in the PL.

Since we lost Grealish (because I thought it would be interesting to compare), he averages a goal every 287 minutes.

He's scoring less goals.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

but that first season when Ollie got a chance you’d put your house on him to score

Nah, he may have scored more goals but his finishing was bang average even in that season. He had more chances and there were probably a fair few that should have been saved.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

Out of interest who do you think is near it?

Tbh I don't know anywhere near enough about world football these days to give you a list, I just think his level is a lot lower than the players you listed.

Edited by Tom13

11 hours ago, Tom13 said:

No surprise that Mitro has a higher xG. Not saying he's better than Ollie overall but his instincts and attacking positioning are better.

Ollie had to play Gerrard ball for half the season. No striker would have a high xg playing that shit. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, gwi1890 said:

I think given we also wanted him the same summer Wilson is a good player to compared him to given his style is to play on last shoulder aswell.

First season at Newcastle he scored 12 in 26 games then in 21/22 he scored 8 in 18. Actually scored more last season under Bruce than Howe. This season he's currently on 7 in 16. Way he took the goal v West Ham is what I want to see more from Ollie when he's through on goal.

We need a finisher in the squad regardless with Ings going even if we will give Archer a proper chance next season.

Obviously elite ones are Haaland, Son, Kane, Salah as these guys hit 20 in premier league more often than not.

Edited by VillaChris

3 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Also a fair point.

The only game where I can honestly say he should have scored under Gerrard was Leeds away. That was almost half his xg under Gerrard this season. He’s been living on scraps. 4 in the 10 since is fine imo. 

I wouldn't call Watkins a 'last shoulder' player. How often do you see him opening up a dangerous passing lane for Buendia? Ings did it all the time when he played, Watkins hardly ever does it in dangerous areas.

8 hours ago, gwi1890 said:

In Premier League after Haaland and Kane is a big drop in quality for the rest of the league with Haaland showing a great striker can make a team go backwards

After them is a gap to similar level players which Ollie is in like Toney, Wilson, Mitrovic even Jesus I would add in there

Chelsea, Liverpool and United have shown that signing a striker isnt easy in recent seasons

• Like 4

- Ball rebounds and a hustle to get in quick and tap it in? Ollie Watkins.
- Slid through on goal on the right hand side of the penalty box? Wally Watkins.
- A cross is fired across goal for the tap in? Wally Watkins.

Says it all really. I'm glad he's industrious and he's definitely an asset right now but he is in no way shape a forward who will win you matches.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Rolta said:

He always missed chances. I am a fan, but it's also just a part of his game.

... He missed a tap in on Saturday—so what. Players miss easy chances. 

Yes, this. As pointed out elsewhere, the league's top scorers are also the top big-chance missers.

16 hours ago, Philosopher said:

Ollie looks to be gaining confidence. Think he is finding his feet again.

It can come back. There is research showing that individual sport performance and confidence have a complex relationship, too. They're intertwined, but sometimes, they're not, too. The X factor is team confidence. Team confidence can offset and ameliorate problems of individual confidence. I think it stands to reason that a better overall team vibe from Emery's influence is able to help players like Ollie.

It's a fact that Rashford went for an entire campaign in a mysterious slump, with injury only partly an explanation and Manure fans slagging him off like crazy. And now ... What changed at United? First, getting rid of the toxin (Ronaldo). Secondly, better manager.

Edited by Marka Ragnos

20 hours ago, Philosopher said:

Ollie looks to be gaining confidence. Think he is finding his feet again.

Thinks it's because Emery has told him to stay in position and not come deep to get touches on the ball like he was doing. I'm hopeful he'll hit double figures this season for 3rd season in a row. He's got 5 goals and 2 assists in his last 9 starts - there's 17 games left in season so 5-7 goals please Ollie. I like how he's also getting more assists, so he would match his debut season in goal contributions of he got 6 goals and 4 assists from these last 17 games. 

16 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Thinks it's because Emery has told him to stay in position and not come deep to get touches on the ball like he was doing. I'm hopeful he'll hit double figures this season for 3rd season in a row. He's got 5 goals and 2 assists in his last 9 starts - there's 17 games left in season so 5-7 goals please Ollie. I like how he's also getting more assists, so he would match his debut season in goal contributions of he got 6 goals and 4 assists from these last 17 games. 

I’m confident UE can get the best out of him, there is still a good striker there, and harrying the opposition is part of that, but not at the expense of actually being up front. it’s almost like Emery is a coach who actually knows what he’s doing!? Now that’s been a rare commodity around here 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, AV82 said:

- Ball rebounds and a hustle to get in quick and tap it in? Ollie Watkins.
- Slid through on goal on the right hand side of the penalty box? Wally Watkins.
- A cross is fired across goal for the tap in? Wally Watkins.

Says it all really. I'm glad he's industrious and he's definitely an asset right now but he is in no way shape a forward who will win you matches.

Yes you'd have to back all the way back to Southampton away when he won a match for Villa.

Â