Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

7 minutes ago, PaulC said:

I bet a lot of teams would love to have Watkins leading the line for them. Touch wood he's hardly ever injured. Runs for 95 minutes. How much money have the likes of chelsea and Liverpool spent on forwards

Agree. I used to only really assess Watkins of why he’s not scoring more, but he looks like a nightmare to play against especially off the ball. I think he’s a real asset for us and we’d have been silly to sell him. 

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

The funny thing is, Watkins rarely makes intelligent runs off defenders. It limits what Buendia's game is all about so much.

Watkins has 3 goals and 2 assist in 7 games. He's far from the worst of our attacking players.

14 minutes ago, WHY said:

I reckon he will get into double figures again this season. That will be his 3rd on the trot in the PL, he gets slated but there aren’t many strikers that do that. He isn’t perfect but the kid works hard and keeps on trying. We need better but trying to find a striker that will return more goals than him isn’t easy. Plenty of strikers who have cost a lot more than him have failed. 

You are right when you say that there are not many strikers who will score more - but unfortunately that still does not equate to him being good enough. Certainly not for where we as supporters wish us to aspire too.

Ollie is average - harsh maybe ? But it’s true. He is more miss than hit. 
To go where we would like to go, we need a striker who averages approx 18 per season and yes you are right - these are hard to find.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, MCU said:

Agree. I used to only really assess Watkins of why he’s not scoring more, but he looks like a nightmare to play against especially off the ball. I think he’s a real asset for us and we’d have been silly to sell him. 

Yes, again Watkins is a machine. Quick, strong and tireless.

Works so hard it is infectious, will only improve under the guidance of Professor Emery.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, ChesterDad said:

You are right when you say that there are not many strikers who will score more - but unfortunately that still does not equate to him being good enough. Certainly not for where we as supporters wish us to aspire too.

Ollie is average - harsh maybe ? But it’s true. He is more miss than hit. 
To go where we would like to go, we need a striker who averages approx 18 per season and yes you are right - these are hard to find.

This is such a weird, random comment to make. Goes well with the nonsense about him being more miss than hit. What is it? 7 games, 3 goals and 2 assists under Emery? That's pretty good. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, lexicon said:

This is such a weird, random comment to make. Goes well with the nonsense about him being more miss than hit. What is it? 7 games, 3 goals and 2 assists under Emery? That's pretty good. 

Please - come on, you’re not seriously trying to suggest Ollie is anything more than average are you? Ollie is what he is - it’s there for all to see.

If you see anything more than this - then fine that’s entirely your prerogative and opinion which you are perfectly entitled too.

Ollie is far above average if we’re talking overall contribution. Whenever a high ball is lumped towards him and he’s alone with two opposition players climbing over him, I bet on him to come away with the ball most times. 

His finishing obviously isn’t good enough but we’d be stupid to get rid, get a good finisher to play off him.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

I go off watching him rather than the numbers.

Funnily enough I watch him too. I've never rated him and always called for Ings to start but if you can't see what Watkins offers now under Emery then you're lost. If the midfield behind him and his partner up top can start feeding him more chances he'll score a lot more.

What I thought I saw today was:

1. Watkins got shouldered off the ball quite a bit when chasing the ball by bigger defenders
  2. Watkins getting mauled by defenders and not getting called
  3. Watkins scoring a goal off a set piece. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Ollie is far above average if we’re talking overall contribution. Whenever a high ball is lumped towards him and he’s alone with two opposition players climbing over him, I bet on him to come away with the ball most times. 

His finishing obviously isn’t good enough but we’d be stupid to get rid, get a good finisher to play off him.

About that....

West Ham seal signing of Danny Ings from Aston Villa | The Bolton News

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, AV82 said:

Funnily enough I watch him too. I've never rated him and always called for Ings to start but if you can't see what Watkins offers now under Emery then you're lost. If the midfield behind him and his partner up top can start feeding him more chances he'll score a lot more.

He doesn't get fed chances because he doesn't make intelligent runs or make the space for himself. Hence why Buendia used to create loads of chances for Ings.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

He doesn't get fed chances because he doesn't make intelligent runs or make the space for himself. Hence why Buendia used to create loads of chances for Ings.

Intelligent runs you say…

D83D5B6A-F678-41C7-BDD4-C65214A20147.jpeg

Edited by Delphinho123
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Indeed - a wide forward with killer instinct. A Salah to Watkins' Firmino if you like (thinking in terms of compatibility rather than quality of player, but we can dream)

Edit: If Bailey does more of what we know he can when he blows hit and starts scoring some of those chances...

Edited by one_ian_taylor

Â