Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

With performance’s like that he’l be one of the first on the sheet ! Worked his socks off ,was a menace , brought the midfield into the attacking areas , no he may not score 20 goals a season but wel have plenty of chances as a team with Ollie playing that way , superb 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, messi11 said:

2 goals and 2 assists in his last 4 games since Emery took charge. Can't ask for more. Keep it up 

The assists thing is the biggest plus for me.  If I remember correctly this means that Ollie has more assists in the last 4 matches than in the last two seasons (at least prior to the start of this season).  The fact that he seems to be getting his head up more and spotting other players is a big plus.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, allani said:

The assists thing is the biggest plus for me.  If I remember correctly this means that Ollie has more assists in the last 4 matches than in the last two seasons (at least prior to the start of this season).  The fact that he seems to be getting his head up more and spotting other players is a big plus.

4 assists total this season.

2 last season.

5 the season before.

I do have to wonder where we’d be with a proper finisher in his place. The stats say he has missed 9 big chances and his xg to goals is awful. I don’t care that much for stats but it’s also there for all to see every game. 

Unfortunately clinical finishers don’t grow on trees. 

And some can be completely anonymous like Kane today.  

Of the teams above, how many have clinical finishers?

City - Haaland 

Spurs - Kane 

Arsenal - I wouldn’t necessarily call Jesus or Nketiah clinical

Chelsea - Havertz far from clinical

United - Rashford? Martial past it

Liverpool - Nunez (maybe one day)

Of the rest - maybe you would take Toney and Callum Wilson?

It will cost a lot of money to improve on Ollie

Edited by DJBOB
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Did the same for second stealing the ball off Kane? in Spurs half

I thought that as well but it was Kamara. Speaks volumes when you see that and think it's probably something our striker would be doing.

1 hour ago, Spoony said:

I do have to wonder where we’d be with a proper finisher in his place. The stats say he has missed 9 big chances and his xg to goals is awful. I don’t care that much for stats but it’s also there for all to see every game. 

Is this proper finisher also running the channels like Ollie, chasing lost causes, holding up the ball effectively and unselfishly sharing the ball for better scoring chances for his teammates. Don't think it's that simple of replacing Ollie with a proper finisher. Same reason why Ings is the far better finisher but is starting most games on the bench in our current setup. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

Is this proper finisher also running the channels like Ollie, chasing lost causes, holding up the ball effectively and unselfishly sharing the ball for better scoring chances for his teammates. Don't think it's that simple of replacing Ollie with a proper finisher. Same reason why Ings is the far better finisher but is starting most games on the bench in our current setup. 

Spot on.

In the 96th minute Watkins was closing down spurs left back in their half to stop them launching a last attack.

You can't ask for a "clinical finisher" and simply dismiss all that Watkins brings to the team.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, duke313 said:

Thought he did well today, his play in setting up Buendia was good.

That was so good. Many a player wouldn’t of chased that down. He was running down dead ends under Gerrard. Looks interested again. He has that nastiness back too where he was physically very imposing for centre halves in his maiden premier league season. He had lost that. 

21 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

My brother said this to me too “ why ings , who scored twice against Brighton is benched for Ollie “ Team game. Ollie is a more complete player. Danny probably doesn’t chase down Lloris’s spilled shot, loads of stuff he doesn’t do that needs doing and the whole thing falls apart if the work don’t come from up top.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Spoony said:

We have one of the best finishers in the Premier league on the bench.  We known exactly where we'd be with a proper finisher in his place.

The real question you want to ask is where can we find a player that can do what Ollie does, but can ALSO finish, and how much does this kind of player cost?

4 hours ago, Spoony said:

You are assuming another striker would get into the same goal scoring positions.

When Ings plays he barely gets involved or have touches.

It's Ollies hard yards and intensity which allows him to get into all these goal scoring positions.

Â