Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

Thought he was excellent today, probably his best game of the season, following on from a mostly positive performance last week. Really encouraging signs for his partnership with Ings, too. A lot of us had all but written them both off, but if they keep this up then we have ourselves a strike partnership that works. 

Hopefully he’s turned a corner, and keeps playing like this. Also, double digit league goals in successive seasons is a very good achievement for a club in our position. He still needs to work on his finishing, but if he keeps this work rate up, his occasional poor technique will be forgiven by the fans. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, nick76 said:

I think because he was just outshined by Ings and Buendia attacking wise.  Thought he did well today, it was just the other two were better…that’s no diss on him, the three played well together.

would be nice to try this out for the rest of the season

• Like 1

Played 37 and scored 14 last season and his overall game was good.

Has scored 10 in 31 or 29 games worth of mins this season, another couple of goals and it will have been a decent finish to the season for Ollie, despite a slow start.

As a comparison Ivan Toney is the same age, has scored 12 this season and 5 of those have been pens.

• Like 1

As said before and again why has it taken this long to work out? He's at his best when he doesn't have to do much. When there is someone else there to link the play and play one touch and so forth.

He can run channels he can sniff a goal. Use him like that.

• Like 1

I’ve been his biggest critic but I’m glad to see he’s turning a corner. Still drives me insane though, he wastes build up play far far too often. I would still want to see him replaced tbh. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Spoony said:

I’ve been his biggest critic but I’m glad to see he’s turning a corner. Still drives me insane though, he wastes build up play far far too often. I would still want to see him replaced tbh. 

My thoughts exactly

Nailed on for the world cup. He is a managers dream with his running.  Missed Jack hugely the first half of the season and becoming a dad at the same time.  But you can see his real strengths . Alongside his weaknesses . As always the problem is how do we get better without spending 50 million. Because thats what it would take. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Nailed on for the world cup. He is a managers dream with his running.  Missed Jack hugely the first half of the season and becoming a dad at the same time.  But you can see his real strengths . Alongside his weaknesses . As always the problem is how do we get better without spending 50 million. Because thats what it would take. 

Agreed on all counts apart from the first sentence. Oddly underappreciated considering how often as a fan base we have celebrated worse strikers.

7 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

and obviously kane 3rd

I must be misreading this, I've come back to it a couple of times. You think Kane should be the 3rd choice striker?

I'm sure he'll sign a new contract and extend to 2027. He's a 1 in 3 CF who does a huge amount of work. He will improve next season when we have that solid CDM which allows us more support from Ramsey and McGinn getting into attacking areas. 

50 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I'm sure he'll sign a new contract and extend to 2027. He's a 1 in 3 CF who does a huge amount of work. He will improve next season when we have that solid CDM which allows us more support from Ramsey and McGinn getting into attacking areas. 

Depends if he is told he's the main striker. Either him or Ings will be sold I think, neither of them will want to be rotated when we only have league games to play. Gerrard does not want to play with 2 strikers, it turns his compact 4-3-3 into a 4-3-1-2 and we clearly have a big issue playing through midfield. We need better supporting players around our forward.

I think Gerrard has changed his mind on the two 10s and sees the 4 3 1 2 as one of the formations for next season. I can't see Watkins or Ings being sold as they're top Premier League strikers. Adding another Striker, yes definitely but keep the two we have. 

On 21/04/2022 at 23:49, skarroki said:

There are currently a few teams above us in the table whose forward line he would walk into. Letting him go for a loss is Everton mentality. Just because he's not good enough for where we want to be doesn't mean he's not good enough to get us higher than we are, whilst also offering stability, continuity and a good squad option if we do upgrade. 

I really rate him still. His work rate is Rooney-esque, he just keeps going all game every game and gives us something up top in every minute of the match.

Ive said it on and off every time for about a year or more now but the only thing he needs to improve is getting some counselling, or changing who he gets counselling from. If he could get out of his own head on occasions he'd be sublime. He looks like Henry in some build-ups and then he'll just make a poor decision out of nowhere or take a touch like his foot is bolted to the pitch, or pick the worst possible shot or area of the goal to aim for. 

I don't think he lacks the instinct, I just think he drowns out that instinct if he has a second to think about what he's doing. 

I think the defensive improvements in the summer, will impact on him.

It might sound paradoxical, but I believe it to be so......When this team has more confidence behind them, they will respond to the task of attacking with more vigour and freedom.

Ollie will be ok...as will a few others.

Edited by TRO

6 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I think Gerrard has changed his mind on the two 10s and sees the 4 3 1 2 as one of the formations for next season. I can't see Watkins or Ings being sold as they're top Premier League strikers. Adding another Striker, yes definitely but keep the two we have. 

Could possibly see Archer as back-up/rotation next season, with the addition of Suarez.  Watkins and Ings a first-choice, Suarez and Archer coming on to replace.

1 hour ago, duke313 said:

Could possibly see Archer as back-up/rotation next season, with the addition of Suarez.  Watkins and Ings a first-choice, Suarez and Archer coming on to replace.

Agreed. I would be surprised if Suarez didn't join Villa in summer tbh. Just makes so much sense. It's a free transfer, he has a wealth of experience, there are 5 subs. We need another top quality option up front.

Watkins and Ings partnership is looking good. Having the option for Suarez in with those two is very exciting. Archer getting some game time too before another loan in January. 

Â