Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

57 minutes ago, Brumstopdogs said:

That's his problem though, he takes too many touches before pulling the trigger and gives defenders time to get a foot in.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, QldVilla said:

That's his problem though, he takes too many touches before pulling the trigger and gives defenders time to get a foot in.

Correct. Touch then shoot has been the classic striker mantra. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brumstopdogs said:

Problem is, most of these touches end up back nearer our own penalty area.

I jest, actually am quite surprised at this stat. Interesting to see Ings there as well given his limited minutes.

2 hours ago, MrBlack said:

Is this a good thing or a bag thing... when he has scored relatively few goals. 

Edit: going for bad.  Not a single Man city, Liverpool, Chelsea,  Arsenal, Tottenham or United player in that list so not sure it has any real value.

Yeah, it's a list for players from the other 14 clubs outside the top 6.

• Thanks 1

Also, they really should be showing that list in per 90 terms. According to the most fbref stats, a similar list per90 would be.

1-Christian Benteke-6.80 (touches in the opp pen per 90)

2-Joe Gelhardt-6.72

3-Fabio Silva-6.45

4-Salomon Rondon-6.12

5-Harvey Barnes-5.99

6-Danny Ings-5.96

7-Ollie Watkins-5.84

8.Patrick Bamford-5.81

9-Matej Vydra-5.73

10-Ademola Lookman-5.65

The fact that the top 4 aren't even on the original list kind of highlights how it's really more of a measure of how many minutes a player has played so far. Those players at the top of the original list are all forwards outside the big 6 who've played the most minutes this season.

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Also, they really should be showing that list in per 90 terms. According to the most fbref stats, a similar list per90 would be.

2-Joe Gelhardt-6.72

3-Fabio Silva-6.45

4-Salomon Rondon-6.12

5-Harvey Barnes-5.99

6-Danny Ings-5.96

7-Ollie Watkins-5.84

8.Patrick Bamford-5.81

9-Matej Vydra-5.73

10-Ademola Lookman-5.65

The fact that the top 4 aren't even on the original list kind of highlights how it's really more of a measure of how many minutes a player has played so far. Those players at the top of the original list are all forwards outside the big 6 who've played the most minutes this season.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Laughable Chimp said:

2-Joe Gelhardt-6.72

3-Fabio Silva-6.45

4-Salomon Rondon-6.12

5-Harvey Barnes-5.99

6-Danny Ings-5.96

7-Ollie Watkins-5.84

8.Patrick Bamford-5.81

9-Matej Vydra-5.73

10-Ademola Lookman-5.65

Assume the 3 other than benteke haven't had 65 touches in total so don't qualify.

Given both our strikers are there per 90 says something isn't right about the way we are playing in the final third.

6 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Assume the 3 other than benteke haven't had 65 touches in total so don't qualify.

Given both our strikers are there per 90 says something isn't right about the way we are playing in the final third.

I mean, is it really? No one else on that list(aside from Lookman who's at the bottom) has a high goal scoring rate this season so why should we expect Watkins or Ings to have a good goal scoring rate just from this?

In fact, I might do a deeper dive to see whether there's actually any correlation at all between goal scoring rate and number of touches in the penalty area for players from the other 14 clubs. 

49 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

I mean, is it really? No one else on that list(aside from Lookman who's at the bottom) has a high goal scoring rate this season so why should we expect Watkins or Ings to have a good goal scoring rate just from this?

In fact, I might do a deeper dive to see whether there's actually any correlation at all between goal scoring rate and number of touches in the penalty area for players from the other 14 clubs. 

I think assists and chances created might be a good addition to the stats.? 

1 hour ago, Sulberto21 said:

I think assists and chances created might be a good addition to the stats.? 

So yeah, for both non penalty goals and assists, there is a positive correlation with the number of touches a player has in the opposition penalty box. However, in both cases the correlation is quite weak. It is so weak in the case for assists that you might as well consider there to be no correlation at all there.

For this analysis, I was only looking at players from the other 14 teams. For convenience sake, I only looked at players who were classified as pure forwards and who played at least 900 minutes. This left me with 26 players which I feel was enough. Although I'm interested to see if the correlation between touches in the opposition penalty box and assists becomes significant once we look at more players than just forwards.

This graph below here plots touches in the opposition box per 90 at the horizontal axis and non-penalty goals per 90 on the vertical axis.

image.png.bebf07831e28a230f93fb0e5600b1aa6.png

This graph below instead plots assists per 90 on the vertical axis whilst keeping the horizontal axis the same. You can notice how the correlation in this graph is much weaker than in the one above.

image.png.e211b00fa0696c6ea8958891b62ccda8.png

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

So yeah, for both non penalty goals and assists, there is a positive correlation with the number of touches a player has in the opposition penalty box. However, in both cases the correlation is quite weak. It is so weak in the case for assists that you might as well consider there to be no correlation at all there.

For this analysis, I was only looking at players from the other 14 teams. For convenience sake, I only looked at players who were classified as pure forwards and who played at least 900 minutes. This left me with 26 players which I feel was enough. Although I'm interested to see if the correlation between touches in the opposition penalty box and assists becomes significant once we look at more players than just forwards.

Cracking stuff  thanks. 

Really happy with his performance today. He's not had the best of seasons but there is a player in there. We should be aiming for better long term but in the right system he's a real asset. 

I do wonder if being a father for the first time had an impact on him, as he's been much better recently and closer to what he was last season. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Sadly unsurprising how few comments there are in here after today’s game. Thought he played very well. 

I think because he was just outshined by Ings and Buendia attacking wise.  Thought he did well today, it was just the other two were better…that’s no diss on him, the three played well together.

• Like 1

His main strength is running in behind. It is not link up play. 

The last couple of matches he's flipped the ratio of how much he is doing each of these and it's more like what we saw last season.

Keep it going Ollie!

• Like 1

Â