Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

On 01/05/2022 at 08:46, HalfTimePost said:

The truth is people are chasing and hoping for a player that A) doesn't exist. B ) wouldn't join us if they did and C) We don't necessarily need to get to where we want.

Chelsea: Lukaku (5 Goals), Werner (4), Havertz (7)

Arsenal: Auba (4), Lacazette (4), Nketiah (4)

City: Jesus (8) (5 of them in the last week)

Liverpool: Firmino (5), Jota (15)

Even Spurs: Kane (12) 

West Ham: Antonio (8)

Wolves: Jimenez (6), Hwang (5), Silva (0).

Aston Villa: Watkins (9), Ings (6).

The 20-Goal-A-Season striker is virtually dead in the Premier League. Kane & Ronaldo the best examples of players that should or will be that player - but it is nowhere near a necessity to have the all-encompassing Striker in a team challenging for trophies anymore. 

They need to be able to work hard, drift wide (Jota the top scorer in this list notibly is the one least like a Striker), hassle players by pressing from the front, create room for and bring others into play.

Watkins is just fine for where we are but, crucially, where we want to be going too. He may not always be first choice but it would be stupid to sell him.

thats great, so if we are saying we "dont need a 20 a goal season striker", which tbh, i do agree with, then the automatic assumption from that, is that this is because they offer more to the wider team, like intelligent build up play, excellent ball control, vision for a pass to benefit the team and build up, none of which Watkins has imo.

I agree he works hard, very hard, but he doesnt have much else in terms of vision, football IQ, good tight control, strength to hold the ball up, excellent passing....etc etc etc.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MaVilla said:

thats great, so if we are saying we "dont need a 20 a goal season striker", which tbh, i do agree with, then the automatic assumption from that, is that this is because they offer more to the wider team, like intelligent build up play, excellent ball control, vision for a pass to benefit the team and build up, none of which Watkins has imo.

I agree he works hard, very hard, but he doesnt have much else in terms of vision, football IQ, good tight control, strength to hold the ball up, excellent passing....etc etc etc.

I agree he can be improved on, I even say in that post he may not always be first choice. I just didn't think we should be chucking him aside and selling him like some of the posts were suggesting at the time

18 hours ago, Zatman said:

Apparently West Ham enquired about him in January 

"However, they were quoted an extremely high valuation of the player and did not end up pursuing him. Speaking on the West Ham Way Podcast, Ex said, “Moyes really likes Ollie Watkins at Aston Villa. We made a tentative enquiry for him in January and were quoted ridiculous figures.”

https://www.westhamzone.com/news/david-moyes-wants-to-sign-aston-villa-forward-ollie-watkins-after-january-west-ham-enquiry/

I wonder how high a ridiculous figure is, as West Ham have given Rice a pricetag of 150m.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

"However, they were quoted an extremely high valuation of the player and did not end up pursuing him. Speaking on the West Ham Way Podcast, Ex said, “Moyes really likes Ollie Watkins at Aston Villa. We made a tentative enquiry for him in January and were quoted ridiculous figures.”

https://www.westhamzone.com/news/david-moyes-wants-to-sign-aston-villa-forward-ollie-watkins-after-january-west-ham-enquiry/

I wonder how high a ridiculous figure is, as West Ham have given Rice a pricetag of 150m.

£151m 😂.

5 minutes ago, rbcuk said:

He’s usually reliable that one who said it, I’d happily sell at a decent price 

I agree it’s all about the numbers but I think he’s able to find his form again and be the player he was last season.

His work rate has been better recently and he’s shown a few moments of sublime skill. But he needs to be consistent with the technical side of the game. Too many 1-2’s, quick counters, one touch passing moves have gone astray (this season) because of Ollie. 

Last season he much better at the technical side of the game.

The guy who tweeted that is hugely reliable and the go-to guy for West Ham fans re. transfers. I imagine it’s true and I imagine they’ll come knocking again in the Summer. 

It might be one of those transfers that works for all parties as long as we get the right price. Personally, anything over £40m and I think we could find better. 

14 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

The guy who tweeted that is hugely reliable and the go-to guy for West Ham fans re. transfers. I imagine it’s true and I imagine they’ll come knocking again in the Summer. 

It might be one of those transfers that works for all parties as long as we get the right price. Personally, anything over £40m and I think we could find better. 

Well we bought him for over 30mil with add one and now he’s capped and proven in the PL. No way we would have quoted under 50 mil for him. 

If he’s happy, I’d keep him, especially if him and Ings start to click.

1 minute ago, WallisFrizz said:

Well we bought him for over 30mil with add one and now he’s capped and proven in the PL. No way we would have quoted under 50 mil for him. 

If he’s happy, I’d keep him, especially if him and Ings start to click.

Perhaps, but I don’t think he’s happy. Or at least, I don’t think he’d turn down a chance to move back to London on better wages than he’s on here. Who knows.

Im of the opinion that Watkins is probably our best striker but he’s had a very average season and technically he’s not quite good enough. Not sure how high we can climb with Watkins up top. 

5 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Perhaps, but I don’t think he’s happy. Or at least, I don’t think he’d turn down a chance to move back to London on better wages than he’s on here. Who knows.

I think you’re possibly right. 

3 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

We could get good money for him from West Ham 

i dunno, werent Spam linked with a player in the summer, who they didnt want to pay a "reasonable fee for" so they pulled out citing "silly money transfers"?

Whilst also wanting 150m+ for Rice.

lol.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

i dunno, werent Spam linked with a player in the summer, who they didnt want to pay a "reasonable fee for" so they pulled out citing "silly money transfers"?

Whilst also wanting 150m+ for Rice.

lol.

Sounds like good business…don’t overpay for other clubs players, make others overpay for yours or price them out of the market.

• Like 1

Perhaps Watkins hasn't settled and wants a move back to London.

Shame, I do like him but everyone has a price. We signed him for over thirty, he's an England international and a regular scorer in the best league in the world. Watkins must be worth at least £60 million now?

• Like 1

Â