Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

21 hours ago, MaVilla said:

Gerrard, in his post match interview, said..."Ollie was unplayable at time in the second half".

I though....."not sure what ur sniffing m8, but i want some....."

Unplayable as in "there's no way I can keep justifying him playing?" :D 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Nicely finished the goal for once but he missed and wasted countless other chances/openings. If we were playing anything resembling a good team where he would get one or a couple of such chances, he would have cost us.

He is a terrible finisher, has zero football IQ and never seems to know what he's doing and is no spring chicken either. He has reached his peak and just isnt good enough. He dined out on the Liverpool hat-trick for long enough but now needs to move on.

Makes bad runs has a bad touch his link up play is bad he takes ages to pass the ball on. When he's through on goal he's 100mph and erratic when he's on the ball trying to hold it or link the play he's 0mph and pressed and disposed so easily.

It's amazing Gerrard labels him unplayable and a better fit than Ings. A classy player.

But he runs around a bit more ( very debateable)

23 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Makes bad runs has a bad touch his link up play is bad he takes ages to pass the ball on. When he's through on goal he's 100mph and erratic when he's on the ball trying to hold it or link the play he's 0mph and pressed and disposed so easily.

It's amazing Gerrard labels him unplayable and a better fit than Ings. A classy player.

But he runs around a bit more ( very debateable)

On a positive note goal 1 was a hit and hope which was all him as he turned in to a goal and goal 2 was because of his tackle 

But other than that yeah shit mate, get rid... 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Mark_1989 said:

Goal deflected probably going wide…awful player.  Worst touch in the league. We need to sell whilst we can con people into spending money for him.

Let's ignore everything he did in the build up 

The "pass" to him was pure hit and hope nonsense, turned water in to wine but yeah he's shit 

• Like 2

Sometimes he has trampoline feet. 1st touch is diobolical. Other times he pulls off something magical. But this is very few and far between this season. Needs a few shots at goal before he hits the old onion bag, which the way we are playing it not going to work in the long term. We need a predator in the box. 

Having Watkins up front with Coutinho behind, is like having Marlon Harewood playing ahead of Messi.

Infuriating.

I really hope Gerrard doesnt see him as our main striker next year.

Banjo's for feet and the footballing IQ of a mollusc, seriously.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, R.Bear said:

Nicely finished the goal for once but he missed and wasted countless other chances/openings. If we were playing anything resembling a good team where he would get one or a couple of such chances, he would have cost us.

He is a terrible finisher, has zero football IQ and never seems to know what he's doing and is no spring chicken either. He has reached his peak and just isnt good enough. He dined out on the Liverpool hat-trick for long enough but now needs to move on.

This is the key thing, he'll have games where he looks half decent chasing things down, and he is pretty strong tbf. But on the whole, against decent sides like you say, he'll always be infuriating.

Yeah, I admit that my feelings about Ollie are situational and often filled with "recency bias," and that's what it is. He's a gifted striker, and I'm really happy for him today. But for Premier League, I still suspect we're probably going to need another FW (in addition) if we're going to compete for Europe next year. I think a lot of English supporters are kind of spoiled and don't realiZe (there's my American spelling for you) just how stunning English's top flight clubs are? Ollie would be a king in many so other leagues. I like him a lot as a person, and I hope he keeps growing as a player. I think he will. Will it be fast enough for Villa? Today I feel hopeful, but I recall a lot of disappointing moments this year -- a lot of missed shots. A lot of missed shots in a ridiculously competitive league against some of the best clubs on the planet. I would miss a lot, too lol.  But when I look at the "big chances missed" stats, well, he's not especially bad at all compared to his peers, so again, that's the recency bias kicking in.

Edited by Marka Ragnos

14 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

9 in 30, not really prolific is it. Pukki has scored more in the shite Norwich team.

How many did he score last season? He's a great player, not world class but he's work rate exceptional.

• Like 1

My issues with Watkins arise when he's displacing Danny Ings or breaking down attacks. However, with Ings alongside him and a misfiring midfield behind him he gets about and scores goals which is exactly what we need. I just wish Gerrard would use him, and others, more effectively. Any criticism of Watkins should lie squarely on the coaching team, not Ollie. He tries and he scores, it's hard to argue with that at present.

Edited by AV82
  • Like 1

He may well end up just shy of the 14 goals he managed last season. It’s not terrible when taking into account Ings has probably been on the receiving end of the opportunities that Watkins would have mainly had to himself last season.

Edited by Mark Albrighton
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, villa89 said:

Sometimes? It's always. Whenever he does control the ball it's by accident not design. 

But how do you measure/track that? I mean, is there a stat that roughly corresponds to first touch skills?  

Â