Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

13 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

Calm down, no need to sell him, bad day at the office but he's been improved lately in the season. Ings experiment harmed him massively

Really???

He isn’t gunna take us to where we wanna be!

Right now we can still con some team to spend £35m-£40m on him off the back of him playing for England.

His value is only gunna plummet. Awful. Score his first 1v1 would have given us a chance.

4 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

A glorified Championship player. No improvement whatsoever. A woeful finisher. Needs 10 chances to score.

Xg of 7.95 and he’s got 7 goals. Missed 2 he should have scored today. Has won us games with goals like the one at home to Brighton earlier in the season.

Every single striker will miss chances. He’s 1 goal off what you’d expect him to have.

The bigger issue for me is how a guy who has been playing up front for us for the whole season only has an expected goals return of 8. Hints at massive creativity issues all season.

Edited by tom_avfc
  • Like 2

Just better version of Shane Long, finding a top level elite Striker is going to be difficult they simply aren’t available. £22m gets you Wesley, £33m Ollie,  £28m Ings,  near £80m worth in strikers best we spend it all on a good one I think.

If watkins could finish his dinner he would be the best striker in the world
If I could finish my dinner, I would be the best player in the world

Sadly we both average at football 

Edited by messi11

11 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

A glorified Championship player. No improvement whatsoever. A woeful finisher. Needs 10 chances to score.

Nah, he's bottom half PL standard, or at least with the way he's been this season. Very frustrating though because we know he can do better.

Was suprised he took the penalty given his general performance. I know Coutinho was off the pitch but Bailey had scored a penalty midweek and would've been good for his confidence.

Just about went in but never convinced with him on the penalties. Average performance aside with a poor second half miss.

9 minutes ago, tom_avfc said:

Xg of 7.95 and he’s got 7 goals. Missed 2 he should have scored today. Has won us games with goals like the one at home to Brighton earlier in the season.

Every single striker will miss chances. He’s 1 goal off what you’d expect him to have.

The bigger issue for me is how a guy who has been playing up front for us for the whole season only has an expected goals return of 8. Hints at massive creativity issues all season.

Expected goals is a load of absolute rubbish. I use the one thing that matters when judging a player and that's the eye test not some analytic crap that someone whos never kicked a ball in their life concocted.

9 minutes ago, tom_avfc said:

It's not just his goals though, his all-round game is nowhere to be seen.

• Like 1

He has a great touch, but he isn’t a finisher. He had two great chances today that he completely fluffed, even the penalty was only just in off the post. I’d argue that Ings is the better option when we go for one striker up top.

31 minutes ago, tom_avfc said:

Maybe but the one v one in second half is something you'd expect a top level striker to score. He had the right idea of curling it but as so often happens with him it went the wrong side of the post.

He's just not that great a finisher and his hold up play is miles off this time last year which is meaning many moves break down.

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

Maybe but the one v one in second half is something you'd expect a top level striker to score. He had the right idea of curling it but as so often happens with him it went the wrong side of the post.

He's just not that great a finisher and his hold up play is miles off this time last year which is meaning many moves break down.

I’d expect an average top level striker to score that chance. But even the best strikers in the world miss chances.

Danny Ings was a player that I always considered a top finisher and he’s missed his fair share of chances this season too. 

3 minutes ago, samjp26 said:

Not at all, he often takes balls down really well 

last season, not this season.  This thread is constantly talking about his poor first touch so I think you are on your own on this opinion generally.

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

last season, not this season.  This thread is constantly talking about his poor first touch so I think you are on your own on this opinion generally.

There are at least 3 times today where he took the ball well, just nothing came of it. I agree his hold up play was much better last season though

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, samjp26 said:

There are at least 3 times today where he took the ball well, just nothing came of it. I agree his hold up play was much better last season though

You watch his first touch in the future it’s poor!  He may bring it down well but with his feet it just bounces off, it’s criminal.

Â