Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

24 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

I just can't believe how slow he is. There was one point where the ball broke and he was up against Gabriel and Tierneys channel and he just got swallowed up.

I think because he's a certain type of forward and maybe even a certain heritage shall we say he keeps being labeled as quick. It really wouldn't surprise me if Ings was quicker.

His body is quick but his mind certainly isn't.

• Like 1

Was only a few games ago that people were purring like cats dreaming of looking in shop window at fresh cream that he was back to his old self after our wins against Brighton, Southampton, and Leeds, it's hardly that surprising that he's been called up to the England squad, he's proven at Premier League level, probably impressed when last with the England squad, and has recently showed signs of returning to his better form, if anything it's more surprising that he wasn't in the squad in the first place, it's not if there's much in the way of better options, Ivan Toney has more goals, but five of those are penalties and he isn't as good an all round player as Watkins.

Kind of strange to see some of the reactions of one of our players getting a call up.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, useless said:

Was only a few games ago that people were purring like cats dreaming of looking in shop window at fresh cream that he was back to his old self after our wins against Brighton, Southampton, and Leeds, it's hardly that surprising that he's been called up to the England squad, he's proven at Premier League level, probably impressed when last with the England squad, and has recently showed signs of returning to his better form, if anything it's more surprising that he wasn't in the squad in the first place, it's not if there's much in the way of better options, Ivan Toney has more goals, but five of those are penalties and he isn't as good an all round player as Watkins.

Kind of strange to see some of the reactions of one of our players getting a call up.

As I said before I do like the guy so I hate to be the one that’s keep jumping on this. But….

He was comically bad against Brighton, looked like he’d never played the game before. He did however take his goal very well, it was literally the only thing he did well in the game. So if your using that as a sign of how well he’s been doing recently it speaks volumes. 

Southampton - yes he played very well. It was a great reminder there is still a player there. 

Leeds - Don’t remember him pulling up any trees but I could be wrong. 

• Like 3

No he wasn't bad against Brighton, he along with Ings and Coutinho were the main reason we won that game, thanks to their pressing high up the pitch, stopping Brighton defenders from playing out from the back.Without the performance that Watkins, Ings and Coutinho put in Brighton would have dominated us, like they do most teams even if they don't win often, our forward line that day worked hard to stop them playing their usual game.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, useless said:

No he wasn't bad against Brighton, he along with Ings and Coutinho were the main reason we won that game, thanks to their pressing high up the pitch, stopping Brighton defenders from playing out from the back.Without the performance that Watkins, Ings and Coutinho put in Brighton would have dominated us, like they do most teams even if they don't win often, our forward line that day worked hard to stop them playing their usual game.

He was very poor against Brighton, goal aside. Could barely control the football.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Zatman said:

The most in form England defender doesn't get a call up now he plays for Milan but he did when he was a Chelsea reserve 😂

Southgate is genuinely baffling. And the crap he comes out with (I'm not over exaggerating here) to justify his selections is ridiculous.

When he was trying to defend picking 4 RBs in his Euros preliminary squad, he answered by saying TAA and James can play centre mid. I mean really?!

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Southgate is genuinely baffling. And the crap he comes out with (I'm not over exaggerating here) to justify his selections is ridiculous.

When he was trying to defend picking 4 RBs in his Euros preliminary squad, he answered by saying TAA and James can play centre mid. I mean really?!

He is the ultimate bullshitter, Grealish last season a brilliant season but called up Lingard who played about 6 minutes for United 

Absolute clown and people in 2018 who suggested him as a future Villa manager should be ashamed of themselves 😂 Bruce is a superior manager

Edited by Zatman
  • Like 2

On 21/03/2022 at 19:11, Zatman said:

He is the ultimate bullshitter, Grealish last season a brilliant season but called up Lingard who played about 6 minutes for United 

Absolute clown and people in 2018 who suggested him as a future Villa manager should be ashamed of themselves 😂 Bruce is a superior manager

Now Grealish is getting a call up after being shite all season and being recently injured

• Like 1

Just now, VillaParkAvenue said:

Watkins called up now is strange, but there aren’t many good english in form strikers.

Toney would probably be the obvious option, but although he's got 6 more goals than Watkins this season, he's also scored 6 penalties, so his record isn't as superior as it seems, plus Watkins has already been involved in the setup and doesn't have the minor off the pitch antics and questionable judgement Toney has shown in recent weeks which may have played a part. I'd probably have gone for Toney though, tbh.

As you say, Kane, Abraham, Toney and Vardy are the only English centre fowards to have scored more this season. Two of them were preferred, and one has retired, I think it's more a case of desperate times than it is a ringing endorsement of Watkins.

• Like 2

All smiles in the England photos posted by the club today. He doesn't seem to smile so much around Villa these days

I think something might be going on in the background and seems happy for a break

Â