Academy General Topic

mikeyp102

Gary Neville "back in maaah day"

"I was playing with Bryan Robson, Mike Phelan, Neil Webb," Neville told delegates at the Soccerex European Forum in Manchester on Thursday.

"There was a real fight. We have sanitised slightly football at that level, we have tried to protect the kids and what we need to do is throw 16/17-year-olds (on) and let them play against men.

"Do 17 and 18-year-olds get that experience that we were able to get? It toughened us up, it made us better. We need to get the best players playing against each other, we need to create a competitive situation for 16 to 20-year-olds so they understand what it's like to play in the first team."

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2013/04/11/uk-soccer-forum-neville-idUKBRE93A0T120130411

Note to BJ10 - Neville is not saying the Youth Cup doesn't matter. He's saying it does reflect something, just the kids aren't given the chance. Villa may be the one club where they do get a chance.

He said where the Youth Cup final used to produce two or three first-team players for Manchester United, youngsters appearing in it now were simply vanishing.

"I've watched Chelsea beat Manchester United (in the Youth Cup), I've watched Manchester City beat Manchester United in the Youth Cup semi-finals and finals ... I've seen these players ... where are they?" he said.

"I can't work it out," added Neville, who is now a television pundit. "No one is telling me that there isn't a Gary Neville, a player of equal ability to Gary Neville somewhere in Manchester at the moment.

"The question is, is the talent being produced or is the talent being lost? That is what I can't work out. I think there are definitely pathways being blocked."

One player we've forgotten about in the list of previous Villa academy graduates - Gareth Barry. 

Cahill, Barry, Moore, Davis, Ridgewell, Whittingham. All premier league players - the last one will probably be one next year.

Under 21's drew 1-1 at home to fulham!

You're far too witty for your own good.

Are their players at U18 we're as excited about (apart from Grealish and Crowley)?

Edited by StefanAVFC

Not strictly speaking about the academy Kev, that said this thread has degenerated anyway!

Cheers for the information, not really a huge surprise to see either of them go. Neither has got anywhere near the first team despite having pro deals, both seem to be decent lads, so hopefully they'll forge a career elsewhere.

Not strictly speaking about the academy Kev, that said this thread has degenerated anyway!

Cheers for the information, not really a huge surprise to see either of them go. Neither has got anywhere near the first team despite having pro deals, both seem to be decent lads, so hopefully they'll forge a career elsewhere.

Ah i see. Just a page back everyone else was on about josh barton being released so i thought i'd ask if anyone else knew anything on it.

Josh Barton, Courtney Cameron,Danny Devine and Calum Barret the goalkeeper are the latest.

Anyone going to the villa u21 vs chelsea u21s tonight at villa park ?

Â