Academy General Topic

smetrov

For comparison, it took the Chelsea U18s 5 years to reach their first Youth Cup final after the Abramovich takeover and it took Man City 7 years after the Abu Dhabi takeover. Both clubs have dominated the competition since then but haven't featured in each of the last 3 finals.

On 25/08/2023 at 14:17, HanoiVillan said:

It *is* depressing, but if we consider our peer group to be the best sides in the league, then a maximum of 1-2 academy players being prominent in the first team squad is the norm:

Man Utd: 2 - Rashford, Garnacho

Man City: 1.5 - Foden, Palmer though he's apparently being sold

Chelsea: 1 - James

Arsenal: 1 - Saka

Liverpool: 1 main one in TAA, they do have a few others (Jones, Bajcetic etc) but they're not starters in the strongest sides

Newcastle: 2 - Anderson, Longstaff, but neither start in their strongest XI

Spurs: 0 now that Kane is gone

We have 1. It's not out of step with the others. Having 3 or 4 would be the weird thing. 

Missed loads of players “in the first team squad”

United: Henderson, McTominay and Dalot all key members of squad

City: Rico Lewis

Chelsea: Gallagher and Colwill have started every game for them this season? Broja/Chalobah will be part of the first team squad this season.

Arsenal: Again, Nketiah and Martinelli have started every game this year. Smith-Rowe and Reiss Nelson are part of the first-team squad.

Spurs: Skipp started first game of the season, clearly key part of first team squad.

Will re-iterate it’s a massive shame we sold Aaron Ramsey - really thought he had a great chance at a crack here (especially with Buendia’s injury).

The Archer move I understand more. Played well in the Championship and clearly a clinical finisher, but I think our current system demands better hold-up play. I can’t see him being ready to play that role for a while yet (if ever).

Amidst the loss, nice to see that Jimoh and Borland have at least had formal confirmations, even though they've both been Villa players for some time now: Borland made his U18 debut a week ago, and both came off the bench today.

https://www.avfc.co.uk/news/2023/august/26/villa-sign-academy-duo/

Aston Villa is pleased to announce the signings of Jamaldeen Jimoh and Aidan Borland from West Bromwich Albion and Celtic respectively. 

Jimoh is a central midfielder who has represented England at youth level. 

Borland is also a midfielder who has played for Scotland’s Under-17s

Academy Manager Mark Harrison said: “Jamaldeen is a good ball manager who can be effective in and around both penalty boxes. We are delighted Jamal has joined us as there was a lot of competition for his signature. 

“We look forward to working with Jamal and supporting him to fulfil his potential.”

On Borland, Harrison added: “Aidan is very dynamic and can manage the ball effectively. We are very pleased Aidan has joined us, as we know there was a lot of interest in him.

“The staff are very much looking forward to working with him and helping him develop into a future first-team footballer.”

3 hours ago, Cizzler said:

Chelsea: Gallagher and Colwill have started every game for them this season? Broja/Chalobah will be part of the first team squad this season.

Arsenal: Again, Nketiah and Martinelli have started every game this year. Smith-Rowe and Reiss Nelson are part of the first-team squad.

Spurs: Skipp started first game of the season, clearly key part of first team squad.

Will re-iterate it’s a massive shame we sold Aaron Ramsey - really thought he had a great chance at a crack here (especially with Buendia’s injury).

The Archer move I understand more. Played well in the Championship and clearly a clinical finisher, but I think our current system demands better hold-up play. I can’t see him being ready to play that role for a while yet (if ever).

Erm, Dalot and Martinelli?!?

• Like 1

The reason we haven't produced many first team players recently is because up until takeover the academy wasn't very good, that's the whole point of all the changes that have been made, but those changes haven't been in place long enough for us to see the full benefits at first team level, takes years and years for that to happen.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Cizzler said:

Well what I said was 'prominent in the first team squad'. Keinan Davis is in our squad, but it would be absurd to include him. Of the players you've listed, most have been linked with moves away this summer (Henderson, McTominay, Gallagher, Broja, Chalobah, Nketiah has had some rumours), though I will spot you most of the others. Even then though, Skipp, Lewis and Dalot all aren't in the strongest XIs. 

EDIT: Also as per previous responses Dalot doesn't count anyway as he didn't come through their academy. 

Edited by HanoiVillan

According to official site we had player on the bench yesterday called Jiman-Amara, soccerway had him down as 'Jamil Jiman-Amara', other than a link to the soccerway page googling the name doens't bring up any results, so presumably they mean Jamal Jimoh-Aloba, but strange mistake for the official site to make.

If it was Jimoh then then he made his debut in the second half, I guess as a positive could say we drew that half 1-1, for a 5-1 defeat actually sounded quite even other than a five minute spell towards the first half when Chelsea scored three goals.

Jimoh will probably be playing for the U21s before long, as top talent to begin with who has been used to play a an age group or two up, but also  exactly the type of midfleder they need

32 minutes ago, useless said:

According to official site we had player on the bench yesterday called Jiman-Amara, soccerway had him down as 'Jamil Jiman-Amara', other than a link to the soccerway page googling the name doens't bring up any results, so presumably they mean Jamal Jimoh-Aloba, but strange mistake for the official site to make.

If it was Jimoh then then he made his debut in the second half, I guess as a positive could say we drew that half 1-1, for a 5-1 defeat actually sounded quite even other than a five minute spell towards the first half when Chelsea scored three goals.

Jimoh will probably be playing for the U21s before long, as top talent to begin with who has been used to play a an age group or two up, but also  exactly the type of midfleder they need

Unless this guy made the same assumptions you did, he made his debut, saw it on my timeline at the time

1 hour ago, useless said:

Let’s not forget the official site is useless 

Playing Leeds in the Premier League Cup

Sam Proctor, Thierry Katsukunya, Jack McDowell, Nile Timson, Rodrigo Fortes, Aidan Borland, Ewan Simpson, Charlie Pavey, Luka Lynch, Cole Brannigan, Rory Wilson

Subs: James Wright, Calum Moreland, Ilani Edwards, Jamaldeen Jimoh, Trai'varn Mulley

Edited by useless

2 minutes ago, useless said:

U16s also played Leeds in their version of the Premier League Cup, they won 4-2, don't know scorer details, Vinnie Hayward and Markie Meade both got an assist.

They as in our U16s or they as in Leeedz?

Our u9s - 11s -  13s hosted Walsall , Shrewsbury and Stoke at BMH this morning , goals flying in all over the place , our u13s missed lots of early chances v Stoke and ended up 2-0 down after 15 mins but they eventually rolled out 7-2 winners.UTV 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just been thinking about how the academy is doing its job pretty well. 

We have got one player to the Prem in every age range between 19 and 22. 

JJ  22 Archer 21 AJ 20 and Chuk 19.

And in the champ we have Philogene 21 Revan and Kesler 20 . 

All of those bar Jaden started with us between u6 and u11. 

It shows that its not just about us buying the best youth at 16. We also have real talent in the academy from a v young age. Which will only increase . The youngsters are better coached at younger ages and we get better and better talent during the u17 intake.

Well on the way to being one of the v best elite academies in the nation. To be put alongside Man City  Chelsea and Arsenal. 

• Like 3

Â