The Global Far Right

maqroll

3 hours ago, Rustibrooks said:

Found a thread about him 

He sounds like a nutter

You would never know, but this fella is far right, I mean, Ben Norton never mentions it

Edited by Follyfoot

2 hours ago, Captain_Townsend said:

I wonder how much money Russia is putting into politics in various countries to destabilise the West

This guy is anti Russia and pro USA so Russia maybe got bad value for money if they are pulling the strings in Argentina? 

We know Russia does try to influence foreign affairs but personally I think their influence is overstated sometimes and gives Putin far too much credit. For any Russian disinformation campaign to actually work you first need a large group of dissatisfied citizens who already have anti establishment views, and then foreign actors can encourage them along the path they were already headed. Groups like the MAGA voters or anti vaxers etc are not created out of thin air from Russian programs. 

• Like 2

I get the impression that the electorate of latin countries love political histrionics, and don't expect it to translate into actual policy.

The present prime minister of Italy has proved to be rather more moderate than her speeches seemed to promise.

I think Anglo-Saxon nations prefer their political leaders to be toadying, unctuous weasels.

I think the expectation that political leaders will fail to keep their promises, is about the same.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, bickster said:

Has she? In what way?

https://www.courthousenews.com/wheres-the-far-right-meloni-defying-expectations-italys-leader-keeps-lid-on-radical-politics/

After more than 100 days in office, far-right Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni has proven to be anything but the “most dangerous woman in Europe,” as the popular German news magazine Stern described her on the eve of her election win last September.

9 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

The article is somewhat bollocks, she didn't get elected on an anti EU ticket in the first place, she's an ally of Orban and he's never attempted to take Hungary out of the EU either, in fact on the campaign trail she stated quite a number of times that her Party had no intention of leaving the EU.

She's doing exactly as she promised to gay people though, she's not defying any expectations that I can see

1 hour ago, bickster said:

The article is somewhat bollocks, she didn't get elected on an anti EU ticket in the first place, she's an ally of Orban and he's never attempted to take Hungary out of the EU either, in fact on the campaign trail she stated quite a number of times that her Party had no intention of leaving the EU.

She's doing exactly as she promised to gay people though, she's not defying any expectations that I can see

I see what you are saying there.

The press branded her as far right, which deliberately created false expectations, and now her cosying up to Brussels is being framed as moderation.

Well spotted! 👍

16 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

I see what you are saying there.

The press branded her as far right, which deliberately created false expectations, and now her cosying up to Brussels is being framed as moderation.

Well spotted! 👍

No, she is far right, I'm not sure how else you'd frame a party that is legislating the way it is. The ability to ban any gathering of over 50 people, dressed up as an Anti-rave law, can equally be applied to political parties. She also borrows heavily from Il Duce's phrase book in her sloganeering

Fascist might be a bit left of the mark but she really isn't far off

6 hours ago, MakemineVanilla said:

I get the impression that the electorate of latin countries love political histrionics, and don't expect it to translate into actual policy.

The present prime minister of Italy has proved to be rather more moderate than her speeches seemed to promise.

I think Anglo-Saxon nations prefer their political leaders to be toadying, unctuous weasels.

I think the expectation that political leaders will fail to keep their promises, is about the same.

Some in Europe as well, the Syriza guy in Greece promised a referendum on Europe, Greece voted leave and he said nah actually it's not binding 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, maqroll said:

Geert Wilders finally wins the grand prize.

Interesting times  ahead , in theory he won’t be able to form a government and a protracted few months of horse trading will probably  end up in another election.. but stranger things have happened , someone might go all Clegg and  sell their soul for  a chance of power 

2 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I see we can add Conor McGregor to this thread now.

I hadn't realised there was quite such a strong "Ireland for the Irish" movement.

There's not. They're just very loud.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Â