The Global Far Right

maqroll

You might be interested in the Red House Report @maqroll.

It was a report from French intelligence that intercepted German communications when the war had been lost, and how Nazi's could, and planned to, rise once more.

Let me know what you think, if you do read it (publicly or via PM), it's all official.

Edited by A'Villan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 5 months later...

You would imagine that western Governments are going to take Right Wing Extremists a lot more seriously than they perhaps have before. 

What happened in USA shows how these things can snowball and become a real threat. The Internet has become a big enabler for these groups to communicate, recruit, brainwash and there also seems to be a lot of cross fertilisation going on between similar groups. 

I also wouldn't be suprised to see more regulation of social media companies as they clearly can't self regulate. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, bickster said:

Careful what you wish for

The irony is VT shows it's possible to regulate.  If I started posting right wing nonsense, or pro terrorism, or racist comments a mod would be down on me like a ton of bricks. 

I'd get deleted posts, warning points and eventually banned. 

And VT is not one of the largest most profitable companies in the world.  It's clearly a conscious decision to allow obviously poisonous things to remain on their platform.   If they dealt with it there wouldn't need to be intervention. 

You can add other heneous things to the list as well, paedophilia and grooming, encouraging self harm and suicide, the list goes on. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

The irony is VT shows it's possible to regulate.  If I started posting right wing nonsense, or pro terrorism, or racist comments a mod would be down on me like a ton of bricks. 

I'd get deleted posts, warning points and eventually banned. 

And VT is not one of the largest most profitable companies in the world.  It's clearly a conscious decision to allow obviously poisonous things to remain on their platform.   If they dealt with it there wouldn't need to be intervention. 

You can add other heneous things to the list as well, paedophilia and grooming, encouraging self harm and suicide, the list goes on. 

Sounds suspiciously like comment on moderation to me. 

• Haha 4

You're spot on. Echo chambers are the breeding grounds for extremism of all types, and the internet enables those echo chambers far more effectively especially on platforms where it's trivial to set up private groups of like-minded people.  People are drawn here based on liking a football team, and while there will be other common traits based on most of us being English men, there's a wide variety of opinions you just don't get among groups of people who have joined a specific group dedicated to the political or other view they're interested in.

What can be so disturbing about engaging someone that's fallen down the rabbit hole of conspiracy or extremism is just how convinced that not only are they clearly right, because everyone they know agrees with them, but that anyone who doesn't is clearly not arguing in good faith. I've been accused of being a paid shill or a bot more than once when challenging people's conspiracy nonsense elsewhere.

Edited by Davkaus

• 1 month later...
On 24/01/2021 at 19:33, blandy said:

VT is happily populated by a smart bunch of folk, but that said there’s plenty of nonsense posted on here. I should know, I post most of it. The slightly more relevant point though is that actually that much of the fertile soil for conspiracy theories and other nonsense need to survive and grow doesn’t exist on VT because of the wide range of views and because anyone posting that type of drivel tends to get crowded out by the majority pointing out the stupidity of it, not because of site moderation. It gets mocked and laughed at, not moderated (unless anything illegal crops up). There was a “strong city” thread ages ago which was an example  There have been others.

it’s you lot that make this place sane and reasonable, not the moderation.

There are more tools available in the software to allow people to vote up and down posters and topics. We've not needed to implement those because people are happy to defend their positions with words rather than an ongoing popularity contest. I only turned on the "ignore" function because so many people asked for it.

Debate is good.

Anyway, this is off topic in this thread :mrgreen: 

• Like 1

On 24/01/2021 at 19:33, blandy said:

VT is happily populated by a smart bunch of folk, but that said there’s plenty of nonsense posted on here. I should know, I post most of it. The slightly more relevant point though is that actually that much of the fertile soil for conspiracy theories and other nonsense need to survive and grow doesn’t exist on VT because of the wide range of views and because anyone posting that type of drivel tends to get crowded out by the majority pointing out the stupidity of it, not because of site moderation. It gets mocked and laughed at, not moderated (unless anything illegal crops up). There was a “strong city” thread ages ago which was an example  There have been others.

it’s you lot that make this place sane and reasonable, not the moderation.

Are you including On Topic in that? 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

The far right had a big day out in Dublin amongst an anti-lockdown ratlickers get together yesterday.

A good thread on it here.

Does Ireland even have a Far Right though?

13 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Small but growing in numbers unfortunately. In the past they would have been beaten off the streets before they get started like in when Pegida tried to launch here in 2016.

They have used the pandemic to grow along with any other opportunities, well documented in this article.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/spotlight/arid-40221185.html

In the hours following the fatal shooting of George Nkencho by gardaí in west Dublin last December, an image began to circulate on social media.

Among many tributes to the 27-year-old, one striking image was shared. It contained a picture of Mr Nkencho along with a number of crimes he had, according to the image, committed.

It stated he had 32 convictions. The image did not explicitly say what its purpose was, but the implicit reason was clear — that Mr Nkencho was violent and unpredictable and that made his shooting justified.

The image is a favourite of right-wing discussion groups on social media platforms like Facebook, Telegram, and Gab.

It is also completely untrue.

Mr Nkencho had no criminal convictions and gardaí have, while not commenting directly, warned about lies swirling around the case which is subject to a Gsoc and criminal investigation.

In the hours after Mr Nkencho’s shooting, Dublin Lord Mayor Hazel Chu sent a pair of tweets.

First, she tweeted: “Thoughts are with George Nkencho’s family and friends. May he rest in peace.”

She followed this up: “Regardless of circumstances, a family is grieving & thoughts are with them. It doesn’t mean thoughts aren’t with all those involved, especially for those harmed mentally or physically during this incident by virtue of doing their jobs. But there is a life lost & a family grieving.”

The tweets sparked faux outrage among those on the right, with some of the more hysterical reactions accusing the Green Party councillor of “inciting a race war”.

It is a good long read.

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, maqroll said:

The almost irrelevant National Party. They got about 4500 first preference votes at the last election. A nutty mix of United Ireland / Populist Racist Bollocks/ Pro-Catholic Anti-Abortion / Anti-vax and Mask.

Must be the new found family of Trump

7 hours ago, bickster said:

The almost irrelevant National Party. They got about 4500 first preference votes at the last election. A nutty mix of United Ireland / Populist Racist Bollocks/ Pro-Catholic Anti-Abortion / Anti-vax and Mask.

Must be the new found family of Trump

So absolute c*^ts then?

Â