The Global Far Right

maqroll

Down to the far right, the unthinkable, in Israel, is no longer. From Haaretz ...

Over the last few days I’ve found myself in conversations I never imagined I’d ever have. Since these are conversations with Israelis, everything is couched in at least semi-humorous tones, but the topic is deadly serious: the various ways a civil war might suddenly break out, and who would win.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Interesting little thread to catch up on. After reading a few pages with the oft-heard thing about the "league tables of dictatory badness", I feel compelled to say it's the authoritarianism that I fear. which team did better or worse is always such an unedifying distraction from the problem with all of them, namely ideology at gunpoint.

Meatheads are always going to think meathead things. I doubt we can eradicate racism or religeous zealotry. But we are able to protect our governmental system from authoritarian principles, although my own views (as I'm sure many of you would guess) is that we've stopped doing so.

But yeah. One of the worst isms is authoritarianism. Red/Blue/Purple/Whatever it's all horrific.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
2 hours ago, sne said:

Javier Milei just won the Argentinian president election. Can't say I know much or any about Argentinian politics but he doesn't sound great.

No doubt he'll start ramping up rhetoric on The Falklands. 

Like all right wing shit, Argentinians will have lapped up his bullshit about how he'll shake it up and make their lives better whilst making their lives actually worse. 

Depends on if they are able to vote him back out when they realise that or if he hangs on in a corrupt way after time in power. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

Like all right wing shit, Argentinians will have lapped up his bullshit about how he'll shake it up and make their lives better whilst making their lives actually worse. 

Depends on if they are able to vote him back out when they realise that or if he hangs on in a corrupt way after time in power. 

He looks an utter lunatic. 

You'd have thought they might have learnt from Brazil and their decision to vote in a far right nutter 

• Like 1

He's an anarcho-capitalist libertarian with some distinct conservative right tendencies, and he's also mad as a box of frogs.

If he's able to implement the kind of policies he's likely to want to, Argentina will be on fire in short order.

5 hours ago, sne said:

Javier Milei just won the Argentinian president election. Can't say I know much or any about Argentinian politics but he doesn't sound great.

if the previous left wing government was so good then they would still be in power.

Apparently one of his key pledges was he wants them to use the IS dollar as currency 

Also when people say global far right, i dont think its accurate at all. There is a global left wing too.

I want a global centralist wing which we dont have

Edited by Demitri_C
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, sidcow said:

They haven't really upgraded their military since the Falklands either, their airforce is held together with Elastoplast, their navy is worth more in scrap value

13 minutes ago, bickster said:

They haven't really upgraded their military since the Falklands either, their airforce is held together with Elastoplast, their navy is worth more in scrap value

So rather like ours then 😂

• Like 1

He's been pretty pragmatic with regards to the Falklands. Obviously that always changes in Argentina when there's problems at home, but he's supposedly on record as saying if Argentina wants the Falklands it'll have to come from diplomacy and negotiation over an extended period.

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

if the previous left wing government was so good then they would still be in power.

Apparently one of his key pledges was he wants them to use the IS dollar as currency 

Also when people say global far right, i dont think its accurate at all. There is a global left wing too.

I want a global centralist wing which we dont have

I am not an expert on Argentinian politics, but to answer your question in bold. The government elected in the recent elections is centre left. Its a coalition government, but still broadly left wing. The President Elect is not, the incumbent did not run this time.

19 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

So, the US candidate?

I get the gag but his positions would actually not be terribly well received by the US at large (there's certainly some figures in the US establishment that'll be tossing themselves off at the thought of what this guy wants, but not the system as a whole) and the country would be on fire quite quickly as result, and lots of debts and lots of investments will be headed vertically down within hours of being announced. Even the threat of the guy had the markets start to react - that's not what most of America wants.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, blandy said:

Sopwith_Triplane_3.jpg

Very clever. Except they would be better described as upper, lower and centre wings. Left and right are still left and right in all cases.

Trying to think of a possible (canard?) configuration that might be described as centre wing. 

Â