Johan Lange

hippo

50 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

He deserves a lot of praise. Yes he hasn’t been in long, but all the summer signings look to have really improved the team. If we do lose Luiz to city (I’m not convinced we will), but you’d trust him and the board to have a replacement lined up and to get the deal of the line. 

We don't know who are his signings and who are Smith's signings

42 minutes ago, thejoker said:

I’m quite surprised that we’ve never heard from him. No sit-down interview, nothing (unless I completely missed it). I guess actions speak louder than words. 

That's because Purslow dives in front of any camera

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

That's because Purslow dives in front of any camera

I am more than happy with this, it leaves the football side to go about its business quietly and under the radar. 

12 hours ago, villalad21 said:

We don't know who are his signings and who are Smith's signings

it has already been established there's no such thing. smith said last summer that him, suso and purslow are all one team and agree on every signing

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

it has already been established there's no such thing. smith said last summer that him, suso and purslow are all one team and agree on every signing

Then Suso deserve just as much credit in the bank.

Konsa, Luiz, Trez, Targett, Nakamba. These are all important first team players this season.

When you have to sign 12 players in one summer you are bound to get a few of them wrong. But on a general note i think Suso did well

Edited by villalad21

16 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Konsa, Luiz, Trez, Targett, Nakamba. These are all important first team players this season.

When you have to sign 12 players in one summer you are bound to get a few of them wrong. But on a general note i think Suso did well

yep. summer of 2019 not looking like as much of a disaster now is it? and smith was full of praise for suso in the interview he gave shortly after he left. think he was just a fall guy, as we came so close to going down.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, tomav84 said:

Nice to have a manager on this group that knows what players he wants, how he will coach them, and how they will integrate into the team.

FWIW, my view is that the DoF role is now the one that changes with some degree of regularity (perhaps every 3 years?)
It isn't healthy for any organisation to have the only same voices making decisions for a long period of time - and Purslow and Smith are pretty fixed for a while now. 

3 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Nakamba might have to play a few more games than his one start and one substitute appearance before he can claim to be an "important first team player".

12 hours ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Nakamba might have to play a few more games than his one start and one substitute appearance before he can claim to be an "important first team player".

He started and played vs Burnley too when Douglas was banned. 

16 hours ago, tomav84 said:

I think it’s still obvious that certain signings are initiated by one of them, though. Konsa and Watkins are clearly Smith picks, for example.

17 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

I think it’s still obvious that certain signings are initiated by one of them, though. Konsa and Watkins are clearly Smith picks, for example.

Perhaps but DOF’s are the main players in player purchasing 

steve buscemi flirting GIF

Thinking of Lange as Steve Buscimi, just takes me back to Con Air, all Lange has to do now is sing( hes got the whole world in his hands)

Edited by Dave-R
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, KentVillan said:

fair point but i think if any one out of smith, purslow or lange objects to a player put forward then i doubt the transfer goes ahead.

Agree with @paul514 and @tomav84 that it's a team decision and they must all have veto power. I just think it's clear that they're all feeding in their own picks.

My guess is most of the promising talent from the Championship is players Smith has taken a shine to over the past few years - i.e. Konsa, Targett, Watkins (and Jota, but that one didn't work out). Three of them played for Brentford, and Targett obviously had that decent loan spell at Fulham.

I also suspect Smith was behind our pursuit of Kalvin Phillips.

Then Engels, he's admitted himself was a player he'd previously tracked, and Nakamba he's said was a player he spotted while scouting Wesley.

Beyond that, he can't possibly have the time to be doing that initial search for players in other leagues, so it must be the DoF + scouting team who drive that, with Smith getting involved when a player has attracted someone's interest.

As we become more of a stable PL team, Smith will start having favourites at other PL clubs who he'll fancy his chances of signing. We can beat most / all of the lower half sides for wages now, so imagine we'll start to see a few of these signings in the next couple of seasons.

Anyway this is all guesswork. Who knows exactly what's going on behind the scenes, but I think this is the most plausible take on how the responsibilities break down, based on what's been said publicly.

Edited by KentVillan

Â