Retained / released lists 2019/20

useless

55 minutes ago, Junxs said:

It was 10 years ago this year when we drew 2-2 with Man Utd in the league, we had 7 payers feature in that game that had come through our youth system at various stages in their career, apart from cup games thats the most I can ever remember. Suppose it was a combination of having a poor small squad and injuries. 

Our youth team used to challenge for the title every year back then, now we've been in the 2nd tier for a good few years.

We even won the NextGen series in 2012, so disappointing that only Jack made it from that side.

The youth team is not in the second tier. There are two U18s Leagues  - North and South. Villa’s U18s are in the Southern section with Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs and others.

3 hours ago, thabucks said:

Thought Dimitri Sea was supposed to be a potential star ... oh well 

He had a really bad injury and missed a lot of time, I think it can be really difficult for young players especially if they do that. He's had rotten luck.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Davkaus said:

I wish Chester the best of luck. That man put his body on the line for us, and if he has any ambition to work on his badges and go in to coaching, we should welcome him back and support his next steps. there haven't been many better servants to the club over the last decade.

I agree 110% with the above. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Zatman said:

well I blame the management for that because a lot of them are better than some of the shit we had and never got a chance. Maybe we still would have went down but would have saved money playing likes of Johnson, Hogg, Robinson over some of crap we had

Lambert I cant remember blooding any youngsters and was sort of forced to play Jack and was very reluctant, Bruce gave Davis a run out of necessity and not many others. Was mainly Houllier and McLeish who gave our youngsters a chance

Lambert blooded a few but preferred to buy players from League 2 to play instead of them,  every time a academy player makes his debut Im impressed but they never get a chance beyond that , Smith has overlooked Davis until recently , I know he cant score but he’s better than the dross we bought

12 hours ago, thabucks said:

Thought Dimitri Sea was supposed to be a potential star ... oh well 

The hype when we signed him and he has been released. Same as the yago twins and many of others who were tipped to have big futures but didnt even come close to first team.

Lets be honest our u21s for the last many years has been garbage. Only davis in the lsst few years has been regularly around the first team. Vassilev has been floating but no one.else.

Glad we have invested in improving this as its been very poor

15 hours ago, useless said:

Released

Doyle Hayes, Jake Billy
Green, Andre Jay (Contract extension)
Hepburn-Murphy, Rushian Marcus Amori
O'Hare, Callum Luke
Sarkic, Matjia (Contract extension)
Sea, Dimitri Disseka

Those 6 youngsters that were meant to be "good prospects". They are definitely making a massive cull of the youth squad. 

Oh and McCormack was released last summer, but as he hasn't found another club yet, I suspect that is why he is on this list. 

Also, Borja been released as well?

9 minutes ago, cyrusr said:

Those 6 youngsters that were meant to be "good prospects". They are definitely making a massive cull of the youth squad. 

Oh and McCormack was released last summer, but as he hasn't found another club yet, I suspect that is why he is on this list. 

Also, Borja been released as well?

Not sure on the technicalities but makes me thing he wasnt officially released. We just told him to **** off and we will pay him...or we kept his registration? Who knows.

6 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Not sure on the technicalities but makes me thing he wasnt officially released. We just told him to **** off and we will pay him...or we kept his registration? Who knows.

Who cares? Either way he is gone. Definitely high up on Villa's list of "biggest waste of money". 

1 minute ago, cyrusr said:

Who cares? Either way he is gone. Definitely high up on Villa's list of "biggest waste of money". 

Me. I thought we reached an amicable agreement a year ago for him to do one. If we have just been paying him 60,000 bags a week for this season it is kind of annoying 

It's quite exciting that players who we thought were decent products of the academy and had potential, like O'Hare, are not considered good enough for where we want to be. This to me shows a good level of ambition and bodes well for the future. 

Didn't we recall Sarkic from what was a looking like a very successful loan due to our goalkeeping crisis (which we're still in, frankly), but now we're letting him go? Thought he was supposed to be our best keeper prospect in quite a while. Maybe he has first team football on offer somewhere?

4 minutes ago, the_eristic said:

Didn't we recall Sarkic from what was a looking like a very successful loan due to our goalkeeping crisis (which we're still in, frankly), but now we're letting him go? Thought he was supposed to be our best keeper prospect in quite a while. Maybe he has first team football on offer somewhere?

Yeah I think he wants first team football so had said he wouldn’t sign with us

10 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Yeah I think he wants first team football so had said he wouldn’t sign with us

i expect he was peed off with being recalled from a successful loan spell, for a good team, only to be shoved in the stands again. if he finished the season up in scotland, and had his loan renewed for next season, i expect he would have stayed. shame....looked a really good prospect. something tells me he'll be more successful than steer and we'll end up regretting this one

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rodders0223 said:

Me. I thought we reached an amicable agreement a year ago for him to do one. If we have just been paying him 60,000 bags a week for this season it is kind of annoying 

IIRC it wasn't an amicable agreement, I think it was simply we released him paying all of his wages anyway. I suspect it may be that he was a poor influence on the squad and meant he wasn't around everyone else. 

It's really difficult for keepers and you often don't see them come through at the club they started with. They develop at a different pace to outfield players and if they're at a decent club, it's really unlikely that they'll get a chance at 21-22, they often have to drop down a little and end up being exactly the keeper that better clubs want when they're 25. A keeper is still a prospect at 23, whereas an outfield player has either made it or not by then. 

I like Sarkic, Think he'll have a good career.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lexicon said:

It's quite exciting that players who we thought were decent products of the academy and had potential, like O'Hare, are not considered good enough for where we want to be. This to me shows a good level of ambition and bodes well for the future. 

Man, I have no idea how you actually managed to spin the fact that our academy graduates are failing to live up to the promise into a positive.

They're not just good enough for where we want to be(which at this rate might be the Championship). They're straight up not good for us right now, full stop. If they were, they wouldn't be let go at all. I'd be very surprised and quite livid if they let go of one of these players because they didn't think they will develop beyond a low end PL player. **** hell, we bloody need a low end PL player right now, and we sure as hell would benefit from one if we go down to the Championship.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

I honestly thought the story was we released McCormack just after promotion last year. Guess he we were still paying his wages until he could find a new club and he hasn't so there you go.

Think we all wish Chester well. Played pretty much every game since he joined Stoke so they'll probably take him on a free. Shame his knee went as him and Mings would've been nice combination and saved us some money last summer when we were spending it on endless CBs.

Injury hurt Green's chances. Again someone who should get a shot somewhere else in championship.

Makes sense for O'Hare to go to Coventry and start 30-40 games rather than the odd start here.

If Hepburn Murphy still had a chance for next season we'd have loaned him to Derby's first team rather than their under 23s.

Time for the new generation. Barry, Jacob Ramsey, Vassilev and see what they and others can do.

17 hours ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Totally agree, is Andre Green that much worse than Trez for example. There have been a few of our players that have decent careers that were never given a look in here....

Green been hurt by injuries here and also I think he ceased to be premier league option in DS mind in the West Brom play off away game last season. High stakes game and he was completely anonymous.

Â