Retained / released lists 2019/20

useless

16 hours ago, Junxs said:

It was 10 years ago this year when we drew 2-2 with Man Utd in the league, we had 7 payers feature in that game that had come through our youth system at various stages in their career, apart from cup games thats the most I can ever remember. Suppose it was a combination of having a poor small squad and injuries. 

Our youth team used to challenge for the title every year back then, now we've been in the 2nd tier for a good few years.

We even won the NextGen series in 2012, so disappointing that only Jack made it from that side.

I think that's a double edged sword though. Yes we had success at various youth tournaments but we seemed happy to keep players around just to try to win those competitions rather than send them away for a season on loan which can really bring players on.

Look at Gary Cahill at Burnley for 04/05 season. Also Wiemann regularly went on loan and looked decent when he first broke through and overtook the Fonz who struggled to adapt to senior football.

Spurs had no problem sending Kane out on loan when he was 18.

Promising that Jacob Ramsey is only 18 and doing well at Doncaster on loan so we could well see him break into the first team squad in 12 months time.

We came to an agreement with McCormack last summer and he was paid off, so we won't have been paying his wages this past year, I'm guessing that the reason he's on this years released list is because although we reached the settlement with regards to his wages, he must have technically still been registered as a player until the his contract ended.

The original statement said that he'd signed a 'varation agreement', which I think just means (after goodling it and looking at a very short definition (as I haven't got a clue what it means)) that changes to his contract were made, rather than it being cancelled completely, although to all intents and purposes he'd left the club, so was announced as such.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Man, I have no idea how you actually managed to spin the fact that our academy graduates are failing to live up to the promise into a positive.

They're not just good enough for where we want to be(which at this rate might be the Championship). They're straight up not good for us right now, full stop. If they were, they wouldn't be let go at all. I'd be very surprised and quite livid if they let go of one of these players because they didn't think they will develop beyond a low end PL player. **** hell, we bloody need a low end PL player right now, and we sure as hell would benefit from one if we go down to the Championship.

It's good because that has been recognised and they're looking to improve the academy quite dramatically, which is something we'll need for the future.

This has nothing to do with the first team.

12 minutes ago, lexicon said:

It's good because that has been recognised and they're looking to improve the academy quite dramatically, which is something we'll need for the future.

This has nothing to do with the first team.

I'm sorry but we're currently a low level PL team. You're suggesting we're culling players who do not have potential to become better than a low level PL player because apparently we're aiming higher than that. That's just absurd considering we're barely hanging on to the PL as it is and those players we cut could very well end up being very useful to us if we dropped down to the Championship. They'll still be very useful to us even if we do stay in the PL. How can you argue that the academy are being ambitious of the future when we're starring down the barrel of the Championship? So all we've end up doing is just cutting a lot of potentially useful players because we're trying to be "ambitious".

Now, what I think is the far more likely scenario here is that the players we have were simply not good enough. And I don't mean good enough for some hypothetical future where we're apparently higher up the table than we are now. I mean, they don't even have the potential to play for us at our current level.

It just seems like a bit of mental gymnastics to try and twist this scenario into a positive when the negative scenario of this being a bad crop of academy graduates is far more likely.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

17 hours ago, Dadster23 said:

The youth team is not in the second tier. There are two U18s Leagues  - North and South. Villa’s U18s are in the Southern section with Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs and others.

I was talking about the U23s, pretty sure we are in the 2nd tier and have been for a few years.

two namesw missing from the list that are still shown as being with the club on other sites are Aaron Pressley & Carney Chukwuemeka,

The former  - meh

The latter - def bees knees

1 minute ago, SirSteveUK said:

two namesw missing from the list that are still shown as being with the club on other sites are Aaron Pressley & Carney Chukwuemeka,

The former  - meh

The latter - def bees knees

Aaron Pressley is at Brentford now 

I remember now.... BTW found a new place to locate DOB - Ancestry.com  LOLOL

No sign of Carney Chukitintothenet ??

Have fair DOB for aall except

Sylla Diallo, Mamadou 
Young, Bradley Jamie Ethan 

Edited by SirSteveUK
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Laughable Chimp said:

I'm sorry but we're currently a low level PL team. You're suggesting we're culling players who do not have potential to become better than a low level PL player because apparently we're aiming higher than that. That's just absurd considering we're barely hanging on to the PL as it is and those players we cut could very well end up being very useful to us if we dropped down to the Championship. They'll still be very useful to us even if we do stay in the PL. How can you argue that the academy are being ambitious of the future when we're starring down the barrel of the Championship? So all we've end up doing is just cutting a lot of potentially useful players because we're trying to be "ambitious".

Now, what I think is the far more likely scenario here is that the players we have were simply not good enough. And I don't mean good enough for some hypothetical future where we're apparently higher up the table than we are now. I mean, they don't even have the potential to play for us at our current level.

It just seems like a bit of mental gymnastics to try and twist this scenario into a positive when the negative scenario of this being a bad crop of academy graduates is far more likely.

Because the academy and the first team don't have the same immediate goals.

Your post is so confusing that I honestly have no idea what you're on about.

None of our academy players that we've let go, with the exception of Green have done anything at championship level, and Green hasn't even been let go yet. You can't even call Green, O'Hare, Doyle-Hayes and Hepburn-Murphy academy players anymore they're all in their twenties, they've left because they're not considered good enough for either a premier league team or a championship team aiming for a top two finish.

They might come good but because of their age we can't keep them around taking up a squad place while we wait for them to do so.

• Like 2

It's ruthless but i like it. If these guys are in their 20s and don't look close to breaking into our squad ( and none of them did ) then get rid. Flood the 23s with elite 16, 17 year old talent. We've brought Grealish through in the last what 6 to 7 years. That's it. That's kind of pathetic. 

I would have at least given sarkic a game before releaseing him as i think nyland is still a clumsy keeper and a gaffe is alqays round the corner with him.

Reina has been hit and miss but k prefer him to nyland

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Of the fourteen players that we released only O'Hare, Chester, Hepburn-Murphy and Sarkic have found new clubs. Surprised that Doyle-Hayes and Green are still free agents, I've just seen that Marcus Maddison who was highly rated before he went on loan to Hull has been tweeting asking for someone to give him a chance...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Â