The economic impact of Covid-19

Genie

20 minutes ago, bickster said:

Are you suggesting he kicks out his tennants because you can't kick him out?

The fact that he will have exactly the same issue as you seems utterly lost on you

Erm where did i say that? It would be more helpful if you dont make incorrect assumptions. 

To clarify i meant he has tenants himself so should know himself how frustrating it can be if they do not leave when they are suppose to. As well as the legal process involved.

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Erm where did i say that? It would be more helpful if you dont make incorrect assumptions. 

To clarify i meant he has tenants himself so should know himself how frustrating it can be if they do not leave when they are suppose to. As well as the legal process involved.

Are his three months up yet? As a landlord himself he’ll also know it’s three months

On 08/08/2020 at 20:22, Xela said:

The sad demise of local independent pubs is not helped no doubt by the changing culture of the UK. The days of men flocking to their 'local' every night after work just doesn't happen anymore. People are healthier in general and changing demographics in areas have seen pubs become redundant.

In areas with large Indian communities for years the pubs were rundown and pretty much mainly full of middle age Indian men eating a mixed grill while getting drunk.  I used to think many of them were probably used for money laundering rather than making a profit as I just couldn’t see how they could make much money.

Then a few years ago the one that hadn’t closed down decided to clean the place up and market them for everybody. Now they are all thriving! 

Its amazing it took that long.

19 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

In areas with large Indian communities for years the pubs were rundown and pretty much mainly full of middle age Indian men eating a mixed grill while getting drunk.  I used to think many of them were probably used for money laundering rather than making a profit as I just couldn’t see how they could make much money.

Then a few years ago the one that hadn’t closed down decided to clean the place up and market them for everybody. Now they are all thriving! 

Its amazing it took that long.

There must be about a minimum of 50 indian grill pubs in the Midlands now. I think West Brom is ground zero! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KentVillan said:

The BBC have got a Coronavirus Recession explainer running on their website.

Recession obviously being a novel concept to anyone who's lived in 21st century Britain.

The youth of Australia literally would need this explainer. If you were starting your first job at 16 in Aus in 1991 you’d be 45 years old and have never experienced a recession your entire working life, until now. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This eat out mon-wed is crap. Went out yesterday and not only have the place put their prices up since before this but they also playing around with the services charges.

Some restaurants ate absolutely taking the piss as this was second one thats done this.

I wont be taking this crap out again. 

Edited by Demitri_C

I've been thinking about this a lot, yes the vote happened, Will of the People, etc but these are unprecedented times with the pandemic, and they're still ploughing full speed ahead with it, even with schools closed, economy in recession, millions unemployed or furloughed.

If we needed any more proof that the entire thing is political, and not for the good of the country, this is it. 

35 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Which begs the question has anyone seen any evidence at all of the reduced vat in the hospitality industry? I haven’t. 

They didnt on my bill last night and i called them out on it

41 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Which begs the question has anyone seen any evidence at all of the reduced vat in the hospitality industry? I haven’t. 

The biggest evidence of the reduction in VAT in the hospitality industry is likely to be in a business's P&L and/or VAT return not in a reduction of the total price charged to a customer.

8 minutes ago, snowychap said:

The biggest evidence of the reduction in VAT in the hospitality industry is likely to be in a business's P&L and/or VAT return not in a reduction of the total price charged to a customer.

So the aid was to the industry and not the consumer? If I understand correctly. Lowering the vat bill and hand in hand with the eat out initiative driving more custom to them. 

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

I've seen that Mcdonalds has reduced its prices due to VAT reduction. I also noticed if I get a Costa it has also come down. They are in the minority I'm sure.

6 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

So the aid was to the industry and not the consumer? If I understand correctly. Lowering the vat bill and hand in hand with the eat out initiative driving more custom to them. 

I think it was so that there was the option for the business to decide how best it would help them.

It's the standard tax incidence issue, i.e. upon whom tax increases fall and who benefits from tax reductions.

I think some places specifically said they'd pass it on in full.

Grauniad:

some companies and organisations contacted by the Guardian said they were still deciding whether to pass on the reduction to customers, while others said they had decided against it.

The National Gallery said that tickets to its paid-for exhibition of the works of Titian would not fall in price following the tax cut.

“We, like other cultural venues, have lost money as a result of the coronavirus lockdown,” it said in a statement.

“Therefore, we have taken the decision to maintain Titian ticket prices as current and not reduce in line with the VAT reduction on attractions and tourism. This is so we can use the reduced VAT to help us repair our finances for the future.”

Pubs and restaurants in England trade at half their pre-virus levels

IHG Group which runs hotels under a number of brands including Holiday Inn and Crowne Plaza said it would be passing on the cut to corporate bookings, but as franchised business it could not confirm that all of its outlets would reduce prices for consumers.

Center Parcs, McDonald’s and Pizza Hut all said they were studying the detail of the cut and working out how to respond to it.

Mexican restaurant chain Wahaca said it would pass on the cut in full to diners from Wednesday. This means a fish taco dish previously priced at £6.95 has come down to £6.10. Waitrose also confirmed it would reduce prices in its cafes, and Starbucks said it would pass on the cut to customers.

The Treasury said: “We want businesses to pass on the benefit to customers if they can, and almost four fifths of businesses said they did so in 2008.

“But we recognise that many of these businesses have been closed and without income for months, and decisions on prices are ultimately for businesses rather than the government.”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Hopefully the scrapping of stamp duty has truly made houses cheaper.

I really doubt it, but I wouldn't be surprised if it has led to more purchases/sales (i.e. the perception that there is a discount to be had that will be gone later pushing people to act now).

Local agent to me is hiring for a new property manager due to a surge in business.

Edited by Genie

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

Got a refund of £68 vat from a campsite I stayed at in Cornwall. Wasn’t even aware I qualified for it. Fair play to them.

• Like 2

Â