The economic impact of Covid-19

Genie

9 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

Myself and grotbags have been 22 years virtually 24/7 with each other at work and home and the relationship has never been stronger 

Same here. More patient, more understanding.  

• Like 1

On 31/07/2020 at 19:25, mjmooney said:

The Trades Club? Christ, that would be tragic. I've actually played there! Admittedly that was in the mid-eighties - but we went to a gig there a couple of years ago, and it hadn't changed...

https://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/helphebdenbridgetradesclub

The Hebden Bridge Trades Club needs your support. Our doors are closed for the first time in decades as a result of the Covid 19 pandemic, and we need your help to ensure they open again

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

Up in that there London today , pub on Charing Cross road seems happy 

The irony of it

Not only is the man a grade A Bellend but...

Guess what...

He's been undercutting the opposition, since he started. He's killing the independent pub and bar.  Our local Briexithole is called the lifeboat. We've renamed it the U-Boat. It's so far sunk three independent bars in the village, all owned by locals, including one by a few mates of mine and the once thriving bar scene is now reduced to going to the one pub you like and staying there

Another mate is a brewer. He sells to local Wetherspoons because he has to to survive because the other pubs are getting fewer and fwewer

Wetherspoons is the Tesco of Pub chains

• Like 2

What's killing independents? Is it Wetherspoons, or is it just that there were a lot of really shit pubs?

Spoons is mediocre beer, atrocious food, and quite often complete shitholes with poor cleanliness to boot. If you can't compete with that, maybe you shouldn't be staying in business.l 

23 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

What's killing independents? Is it Wetherspoons, or is it just that there were a lot of really shit pubs?

Spoons is mediocre beer, atrocious food, and quite often complete shitholes with poor cleanliness to boot. If you can't compete with that, maybe you shouldn't be staying in business.l 

Spent the day in a brewhouse pub/kitchen with its own microbrewery. Was there from 10 o’clock this morning And when the doors opened it did a cracking trade until I left. Proper unique experience that knocks spots off Wetherspoons. More  boozers like this would put Wetherspoons on the back foot. The beer I had a small part in creating today goes  on general sale in 4 to 6 weeks. Top place

• Like 1

The sad demise of local independent pubs is not helped no doubt by the changing culture of the UK. The days of men flocking to their 'local' every night after work just doesn't happen anymore. People are healthier in general and changing demographics in areas have seen pubs become redundant.

46 minutes ago, snowychap said:

What is the relevance of the location to what the owner of the chain thinks?

No relevance to anything other than It was where the pub was that I walked past when I saw the sign 

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

The place I took a pic of didn’t look like the sort of place you’d want to go in tbh ...More so as I’m with the kids , I’d pay a bit extra to drink in a nicer pub any day , but I’d imagine a lot of regular drinkers wouldn’t 

20 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

No relevance to anything other than It was where the pub was that I walked past when I saw the sign 

Brilliant. So you purposely chose to post that it was a 'pub on Charing Cross road' rather than one outlet of a huge national chain?

When you next walk past a McDonalds will it be described as a 'restaurant in Woking'?

Edited by snowychap
Edited for accuracy

Just now, snowychap said:

Brilliant. So you purposely chose to post that it was a 'pub in Charing Cross' rather than one outlet of a huge national chain?

When you next walk past a McDonalds will it be described as a 'restaurant in Woking'?

I just assumed everyone could read the big words Wetherspoon written across the bottom ...  

whilst I may refer to my Miele vacuum cleaner as a Hoover  on the whole I still refer to establishments that sell beer as pubs .

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

This is economic news, trust me.

The first stage of the Europa League draw just happened. Barry will be playing a team from the Faroes, or San Marino. This is great news, because the other half of the draw, whilst it contained ‘easier’ teams, was going to be a nightmare. The other half of the draw was a 50/50 chance of a team from Andorra.

The govt has declared 14 day quarantine for Andorra, UEFA have said you forfeit if you can’t play. It would have been a good chance we were out without kicking a ball.

As it is, Faroe Islands, ouch. We haven’t played a game of football since March 7th, only allowed non-contact training two weeks ago, in groups of 5, they are currently mid season...

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I just assumed everyone could read the big words Wetherspoon written across the bottom ...  

whilst I may refer to my Miele vacuum cleaner as a Hoover  on the whole I still refer to establishments that sell beer as pubs .

What a crock. :)

The second sentence is really, really daft. :D

Edited by snowychap

10 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Just found out that the tenant that still hasnt left has two properties that he is letting out himself which makes it more infuriating 

Are you suggesting he kicks out his tennants because you can't kick him out?

The fact that he will have exactly the same issue as you seems utterly lost on you

Â