The economic impact of Covid-19

Genie

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

Who was alluding to?

House prices won't drop just yet, they are at the end of a long chain of events.

Rents in London are going down, if they drop to a level where its no longer worth the investment return, then more properties will hit the market. THAT will reduce prices. But any fall was never going to be immediate

If office blocks get repurposed to housing, that will have an effect but thats a medium term effect

Etc...

All the forecasters, media outletc etc.

Yeah i think maybe could take longer. But the areas i have been looking at properties around the 600-700k mark are alm selling and very quickly.

Rents in london are going down but guess we have to see if the extend the eviction ban as i think i could see that happening.

3 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

It feels instinctively like a crash is on the way, though. As the recession bites, people will default on mortgages and the life will be sucked out of the market. Be interesting to see how long it takes for that to pan out, or if we somehow avoid it.

Personally I think UK govts of last couple of decades (but especially since 2010) have financially intervened far too much in the housing market (while not building enough new homes) and only served to make things worse. The reckoning will come eventually won’t it?

Yeah i agree with most of that.

They have inteverned probably because its in their interest too as many of them have many properties so they dont want to lose their investment

50 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Personally I think UK govts of last couple of decades (but especially since 2010) have financially intervened far too much in the housing market (while not building enough new homes) and only served to make things worse. The reckoning will come eventually won’t it?

Agreed with this, but while the majority of voters are home owners, nothing will change. As younger generations that are mostly being priced out of the market make up a bigger and bigger share, we might see the government start to give a shit about renters. Maybe.

The political parties 'sorted' very rapidly during the Corbyn years into Labour representing private and social renters and the Tories representing more homeowners - especially those well on the way or finished paying off their mortgages - and landlords. It is possible that Starmer's leadership may reduce that sorting effect, though I wouldn't bet on it, but in the meantime the government - in large part comprised of landlords themselves - will continue to favour the groups that elected them, as they have done during this crisis.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

Bloody hell Dem. you talk about living in the ghetto but you are considering a move to a 600-700k house. Did you live in Mayfair?

😂 

Mayfair ? You know mayfair you are looking at over a million easy!

But my missus place is worth a bit of money just because of the postcode its under.  Thats only why we funding but it isnt 700k cant afford that.

Thats london for you a complete an dutter rip off.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

You don't report price development by square meter avg? Maybe that's just here 😆

They might do for offices but for residential, its's more about post-code and the number of rooms / bedrooms then there's the extra £100,000 because its old and has ivy on the outside. £50,000 because the current owners bake bread every time someone comes to view the hosue. Chuck in £50,000 for being near a school that gets good grades... blah blah

3 hours ago, bickster said:

They might do for offices but for residential, its's more about post-code and the number of rooms / bedrooms then there's the extra £100,000 because its old and has ivy on the outside. £50,000 because the current owners bake bread every time someone comes to view the hosue. Chuck in £50,000 for being near a school that gets good grades... blah blah

£50k if you have a Waitrose nearby in my neck of the woods ... completely baffling 

20 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

£50k if you have a Waitrose nearby in my neck of the woods ... completely baffling 

Where else are you going to get overpriced shandy to impress your mates on face ache? Well worth it :D

I started looking up house prices here, to write a little bit about affordability.

But then I found a single garage for sale on the Island on the end of my old street. Literally, a garage, concrete plank walls, roller garage door, wiggly tin roof.

£45,000

My first house was £28,995

1 minute ago, chrisp65 said:

I started looking up house prices here, to write a little bit about affordability.

But then I found a single garage for sale on the Island on the end of my old street. Literally, a garage, concrete plank walls, roller garage door, wiggly tin roof.

£45,000

My first house was £28,995

Oh yeah, you can add £40k when your address says Island and you're not an island 😂😂😂

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bickster said:

Oh yeah, you can add £40k when your address says Island and you're not an island 😂😂😂

It is an island. It is.

That they’ve filled in the water with rubble and asbestos and tanker oil gunge and built a housing estate on the top of it is irrelevant.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, bickster said:

FIngers crossed 🤞😀

Its only right I say this as I am that word removed who always says it, not to you @bickster . Its a club named The Cavern Club, its not The Cavern Club. Its The Drifters, its Gwar, Its a tribute act. 

• Like 3

Â