The Gravy Feud® and Other Gastronomic Delights

blandy

56 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

I’ve never understood the love for bagels, why would you want something with a massive hole in the middle.

Just caught up on the thread and see others have already talked round this. 

The hole is necessary to get the inside to cook properly 

Because of the part boil part bake cooking method you need the hole in the middle to avoid raw dough 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mikeyp102 said:

I’ve never understood the love for bagels, why would you want something with a massive hole in the middle.

Just caught up on the thread and see others have already talked round this. 

Also see ring donut. 

8 minutes ago, Xela said:

Also see ring donut. 

Same, it's to get them to cook evenly, easier to cook them inside without burning the outside

Not sure if I said this before but when I worked at the cookie factory as well as doing Canadian bagels we had a donut factory in France, at the time it was the only factory in the world that could produce filled ring donuts... I did a lot of work with them, ate an insane amount of donuts

• Like 1

My favourite story from the cookie factory -which again I've probably told before 

I went to a baking exhibition in London, got a little bit of time to walk around and made my way to the jelly belly stand, I love jelly beans, got talking to the guy there, he saw who I worked for and told me we had exclusive rights for baked products with them, something which everyone in my company was oblivious to, we exchanged details

I get back to work, ordered 5kg worth of jelly beans as a free sample, about 10 different flavours, I make 1 batch of cookies using maybe 100g...its a disaster, they don't bake, the sugar cracks and melts leaving the cookie looking awful and then when the sugar cools it goes hard making it unpleasant to eat too so its an absolute non starter

Took me about a week to eat the 4900g of the rest of the jelly beans... 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

My favourite story from the cookie factory -which again I've probably told before 

I went to a baking exhibition in London, got a little bit of time to walk around and made my way to the jelly belly stand, I love jelly beans, got talking to the guy there, he saw who I worked for and told me we had exclusive rights for baked products with them, something which everyone in my company was oblivious to, we exchanged details

I get back to work, ordered 5kg worth of jelly beans as a free sample, about 10 different flavours, I make 1 batch of cookies using maybe 100g...its a disaster, they don't bake, the sugar cracks and melts leaving the cookie looking awful and then when the sugar cools it goes hard making it unpleasant to eat too so its an absolute non starter

Took me about a week to eat the 4900g of the rest of the jelly beans... 

My other half buys chocolate for Aldi and I can confirm that this is a very widely used technique 😂😂

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

My other half buys chocolate for Aldi 

What an amazing coincidence - my other half buys chocolate from Aldi. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

My other half buys chocolate for Aldi and I can confirm that this is a very widely used technique 😂😂

We used to meet tesco once a quarter and but on a huge display for them, all the cookies and donuts they already took from us, new flavours, always presented cheaper to make for us options, new lines (a new brownie every time, we could never win that contract) muffins, bagels, we tried pizza pockets and paninis, bread, pretty much every baked product under the sun... And then take them out for lunch... 

They rotated their buyers, not sure how often but it was often new faces we presented to 

I had say 6 boxes of pizza pockets in, a box of each flavour, the buyer took one look at them said not interested and that was that... The box was mine 

As for companies trying to sell to us Whitworths we're a good one, sent me loads of dried fruits and nuts and we had the oatmeal and raisin line (which tesco toned down the nutmeg / cinnamon but if done right it's the best cookie) and the white choc macadamia line (the ones we didn't want because the nuts are horrendously expensive) we had so many boxes of chocolate kicking around but it was always bake stable chocolate which isn't great to eat alone 

3 hours ago, villa4europe said:

We used to meet tesco once a quarter and but on a huge display for them, all the cookies and donuts they already took from us, new flavours, always presented cheaper to make for us options, new lines (a new brownie every time, we could never win that contract) muffins, bagels, we tried pizza pockets and paninis, bread, pretty much every baked product under the sun... And then take them out for lunch... 

They rotated their buyers, not sure how often but it was often new faces we presented to 

I had say 6 boxes of pizza pockets in, a box of each flavour, the buyer took one look at them said not interested and that was that... The box was mine 

As for companies trying to sell to us Whitworths we're a good one, sent me loads of dried fruits and nuts and we had the oatmeal and raisin line (which tesco toned down the nutmeg / cinnamon but if done right it's the best cookie) and the white choc macadamia line (the ones we didn't want because the nuts are horrendously expensive) we had so many boxes of chocolate kicking around but it was always bake stable chocolate which isn't great to eat alone 

A good one for my other half is they do test supermarkets where they set out displays and shelves like a supermarket to test space and displays etc. 
So they need empty packaging from suppliers to put on the shelves. 

But the big suppliers like Mars, they just send full boxes and displays. I guess it costs them more to pay someone to unpack stuff than it does just to send them out. So my other half will just say they need a few extra and bingo, she gets a pallet full of chocolate that nobody needs

• Like 1

Â