Jump to content

The Gravy Feud® and Other Gastronomic Delights


blandy
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • Moderator
1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

I’ve never heard of chip sauce but it sounds rank

I posted about it somewhere. You go in a chippy and get asked “salt and sauce” like we'd get asked “salt and vinegar”

I can confirm it is rank, almost gravy with fish rank

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Me likey. Belgian chips being inherently different from chip shop chips.

Was there working last week so if course indulged a few times

They are different, they're crispy, what I have found is that oven chips at home aren't really a thing here, they do deep fat frier chips but not crispy oven chips (they have a whole host of other potato snacks) hence there's a market for Belgian chips, there's one about 5 mins from my flat but it's a bit shit

Last week at work the place was a big old london red bus cafe selling chips and various types of deep fried meat (which wasn't good) with then around 15 types of sauce, pindesaus is the best, that's the Dutch Indonesian style peanut sauce with the Belgian one being a little spicier, obviously mayo* or frites sauce, then bbq, most of them do a samurai sauce and andalusia but I don't know what they are

* my mom and aunties grew up in Germany and they swear continental mayo is better than the mayo in England, I don't eat enough of it to know the difference, they used to import it but now I live here she just visits and buys 10 bottles at a time to take home for everyone 

Edit - don't order curry wurst in Belgium! The german guys I was there with got caught out a few times, its not like ze germans with the curry sauce it's a curry flavoured sausage which is really nothing special 

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderator
25 minutes ago, bickster said:

I posted about it somewhere. You go in a chippy and get asked “salt and sauce” like we'd get asked “salt and vinegar”

I can confirm it is rank, almost gravy with fish rank

It’s just a mix of brown sauce and vinegar. Not bad, but not as good as gravy or curry sauce.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • VT Supporter
3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Was there working last week so if course indulged a few times

They are different, they're crispy, what I have found is that oven chips at home aren't really a thing here, they do deep fat frier chips but not crispy oven chips (they have a whole host of other potato snacks) hence there's a market for Belgian chips, there's one about 5 mins from my flat but it's a bit shit

Last week at work the place was a big old london red bus cafe selling chips and various types of deep fried meat (which wasn't good) with then around 15 types of sauce, pindesaus is the best, that's the Dutch Indonesian style peanut sauce with the Belgian one being a little spicier, obviously mayo* or frites sauce, then bbq, most of them do a samurai sauce and andalusia but I don't know what they are

* my mom and aunties grew up in Germany and they swear continental mayo is better than the mayo in England, I don't eat enough of it to know the difference, they used to import it but now I live here she just visits and buys 10 bottles at a time to take home for everyone 

Mayo in England does suck, I bought the Polish stuff in the supermarket before I'd even ever been here. I'm highly sceptical of something that is supposed to be made mainly from egg yolks being whiter than a work shirt...

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites


9 hours ago, Seat68 said:

Saw this on Twitter and quite frankly there are enclaves of weirdos out there. 
RTeKkeI.jpg

I'm actually in a gravy area. I live in Herefordshire on the Welsh border. I make the cut for a true gravy on chips fan which seems about spot on to me. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

I'm actually in a gravy area. I live in Herefordshire on the Welsh border. I make the cut for a true gravy on chips fan which seems about spot on to me. 

Must be drunk on cider. 

Rules Herefordshire out for my country retreat ;) I'll stick to Worcestershire 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Mjvilla said:

Herefordshire is lovely, if you can see past the gravy. 

I did spend a few days in Goodrich last year and had a pleasant walk and drink in Symonds Yat

Very nice indeed 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I’ve never heard of chip sauce but it sounds rank

 

11 hours ago, Seat68 said:

That was my immediate thought. I think Edinburgh are just **** with people. 

Soss I think is the colloquialism. 

I've heard of this and asked a guy from Glasgow who I worked with about it, he had no idea what I was talking about.  Then my brother moved to Edinburgh and he loves it.  It's like a brown sauce watered down with vinegar and is supposed to be amazing.  But purely an Edinburgh thing. 

I've been to Edinburgh twice but hadn't heard of it then so never got to try it. 100% will though if I get up there again. 

Edited by sidcow
Link to comment
Share on other sites


You look at that map and you think, well, it’s junk because the data set / sample size is too small.

There are 6 counties in NI and only 10 votes in total.

Then you deeper into the figures and you realise someone in the north west clearly voted gravy 102 times.

Who would do a thing like that?

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


  • Moderator
3 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

You look at that map and you think, well, it’s junk because the data set / sample size is too small.

There are 6 counties in NI and only 10 votes in total.

Then you deeper into the figures and you realise someone in the north west clearly voted gravy 102 times.

Who would do a thing like that?

Lancastrians.

Seriously, I'd never had it (well once in Nottingham, in the TBI, I think it was, before a game against Forest in the 80s - we won through a Fluke Peter Withe goal) till I moved up here, but it's absolutely the norm for Preston, Blackpool etc. And it's lovely.

I am really hungry. Wonder if the chippy's open?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of use Terms of Use, Cookies We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Â