The Gravy Feud® and Other Gastronomic Delights

blandy

1 minute ago, blandy said:

Lancastrians.

but it's absolutely the norm for Preston, Blackpool etc. And it's lovely.

‘Normal for Norfolk’ is not ordinarily anything to boast about.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, blandy said:

Lancastrians.

Seriously, I'd never had it (well once in Nottingham, in the TBI, I think it was, before a game against Forest in the 80s - we won through a Fluke Peter Withe goal) till I moved up here, but it's absolutely the norm for Preston, Blackpool etc. And it's lovely.

I am really hungry. Wonder if the chippy's open?

Nah sorry Blandy not having it, been in Preston for 15 years and I have never had gravy on my fish and chips, please do not tar us all with your gravy perversion.

Although salt and sauce in Edinburgh is the dogs danglies in my opinion.

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

Soss I think is the colloquialism. 

I've heard of this and asked a guy from Glasgow who I worked with about it, he had no idea what I was talking about.  Then my brother moved to Edinburgh and he loves it.  It's like a brown sauce watered down with vinegar and is supposed to be amazing.  But purely an Edinburgh thing. 

I've been to Edinburgh twice but hadn't heard of it then so never got to try it. 100% will though if I get up there again. 

Have to say it sounds right up my alley.  Might give it a try at home one day.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Sid4ever said:

not having it, been in Preston for 15 years and I have never had gravy on my fish and chips

You weirdling, Sid. You'll be telling me you don't wear clogs next.

Peas + gravy will go with just about anything in a chippie, so will curry sauce and so will just gravy

Peas alone though? No one of sound mind is having a chip bap with mushy peas on it

Peas with fish and chips is the only thing I would eat them with 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

tomato sauce on oven chips is not a problem, tomato sauce on chippy chips doesn't go IMO

and the kebab meat looks sauceless, I cant do that, especially with donner 

Battered or ‘yellow’ chips work with tomato sauce, had garlic mayo and hot chilli on kebab

21 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Seriously. No one is mentioning the crackers???

It’s me Mum, always gets the crackers out for a family birthday, started 40 odd years ago when we were kids and could not afford much present wise so filled the gap with left over Christmas crackers and just stuck from then on, got a golf tee, a spangly mini note pad and some poorly constructed tweezers today. Admittedly it is a bit strange reading out jokes based around the festive period in the middle of summer

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Like 1

Â