What's cooking / VT cookbook merge

trimandson

Do you like to cook ?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like to cook ?

• Yes
    • No

That turned out spot on! Though there are some real arguments on line about this cake.

The womens institute are like "you must only use rasberry jam and no cream at all, you must not sprinkle icing sugar but golden castor sugar, it is not a cake its a sandwich!"

Something tells me that these women need some cock!!

Sri Lankan Beef Smore (from Madhur Jaffrey's Curry Easy - but slightly adapted by me)

I kg piece of beef (Brisket of something else suitable for pot roasting - like silverside etc))

Salt

Freshly ground black pepper

4 teaspoons whole coriander seeds

1 teaspoon whole cumin seeds

1 teaspoon whole fennel seeds

1/4 teaspoon whole fenugreek seeds

4 tablespoons olive oil

One 2-inch cinnamon stick

1 large onion, finely chopped

One 2-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and finely grated

4 cloves garlic, finely chopped

2 tablespoons red wine vinegar

500ml cups beef or chicken stock

1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

1 can coconut milk from a well shaken can

Pat the meat dry and sprinkle lightly with salt and lots of black pepper. Preheat Oven to 160 degrees Centigraade

Set a small cast-iron or other heavy frying pan over medium heat. When very hot, sprinkle in the coriander, cumin, fennel, and fenugreek seeds. Stir for 1 min or so until the spices just start to emit a roasted aroma. Empty onto a piece of paper towel, and, when cooled off a bit, grind the spices in a clean coffee grinder or crush in a mortar.

Pour the oil into an ovenproof casserole-type pan and set over medium high heat. When hot, put in the meat and brown on all sides. Remove to a plate. Add the cinnamon, onions, ginger, and garlic. Stir and cook 4 to 5 minutes.

Now add roast ground spices from above and stir for 2 mins

Add the vinegar, stock, cayenne, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, and the beef as well as its accumulated juices. Bring to a boil, stirring the sauce. Cover and place in oven. Cook, basting and turning every 20 minutes or so, about 2 to 2 1/2 hours or until meat is tender.

Remove pan from oven. Add the coconut milk, stir, and bring to a simmer before serving.

Thats tonights tea, third time I've cooked it now and I have to say its excellent.

I just serve it with a yellow sesame seeds and chilli basmati rice

Sri Lankan Beef Smore (from Madhur Jaffrey's Curry Easy - but slightly adapted by me)

Sounds similar to something I did tonight, which from the name you would think is quite different - Caribbean Chicken, not really a recipe, more a general approach.

Start by buying plantains, and make the dish only when the plantains are really ripe and tender. Don't buy your chicken until the plantains are ready.

Wash and soak some basmati rice - I use 2 handfuls per person.

Joint the chicken and make stock from the carcass, with onion, carrot, celery, bay leaf.

Chop 1 large onion, 3 or 4 cloves garlic, 2 fresh green chillies, 2 inches fresh ginger.

Brown the chicken in oil on a high heat in a wide saute pan (pref one with a lid, which you will use later).

While it's browning, grind the spices - I used something like:

2 tbs coriander

1 tbs cumin

6 dried red chillies

8 green cardamom

6 cloves

2 blades mace

12 black peppercorns

1 tbs fennel seeds

cinnamon stick

Remove chicken from pan, turn heat right down, soften onion in oil, then add garlic, ginger, chilli

Add ground spices and stir

Add 2 tbs wine vinegar

Add some stock to loosen

Add tin chopped tomatoes and salt to taste

Get the sauce to the consistency you like - should be plenty of it, and quite thick with all the onion and tomato - then return chicken to the pan, put the lid on, and simmer so it's bubbling but not rapidly boiling

Halve the plantains lengthways, then cut in half (so they are easier to move around the pan) or else slice them thickly, start frying them gently in oil and butter, tuning from time to time

When the chicken has been cooking for 20-25 mins, melt some butter in a saucepan with a lid, add the soaked and washed and drained rice, add salt, just cover with stock, bring to the boil, push a circle of greaseproof paper down onto the surface of the rice, put a lid on the pan and tun heat very low so it is just emitting a little steam. Cook for 10 mins max.

Add fresh chopped coriander to the chicken, and serve.

Whole thing takes an hour. If there's time, you could joint the chicken and make the stock earlier, but it also works as described.

Madhur Jaffrey has some cracking recipes...I do a "dry potatoes with garlic and ginger" that I got from one of her books back in the early '90's

Madhur Jaffrey has some cracking recipes...I do a "dry potatoes with garlic and ginger" that I got from one of her books back in the early '90's
Blimey that is a long roast

was that the yellow type spuds you posted a picture of a few months ago?

was that the yellow type spuds you posted a picture of a few months ago?

Indeed it was, good memory!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Made a Spinach and Chicken Curry from one of Madhur Jaffrey's books last night.

Really simple, but really nice. If anyone's interested:

2 Onions

6 Cloves of Garlic

5cm piece of Ginger

Tblsp Paprika

Tspn Hot Cayenne Pepper

Put into blender and make into paste.

5tblsp oil

5cm stick of cinnamon

8 cardamon pods

Sizzle about for a bit. Seal some well seasoned chicken thighs, remove and keep warm.

Introduce paste into spiced oil, fry for a couple of minutes.

Add a packet of Spinach & a tsp of salt and continue to fry.

Re introduct Chicken and 120ml of Water.

Cover and simmer for half an hour.

Perfecto.

Â