What's cooking / VT cookbook merge

trimandson

Do you like to cook ?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like to cook ?

• Yes
    • No

Anyone got any good vegetarian curry recipes? I love cooking curries and have all the spices and that but they're always meat based.. just started seeing a girl who is a vegetarian so looking for some ideas. Ta

It really is as simple as Brumerican says. The only difference is that you would add the vegetables later in the cooking process so that they don't turn completely to mush. I personally also think a more vinegary/bitter curry sauce works well with veg, rather than a sweet one. But that's completely up to your tastes.

Made heavenly braising steak burritos earlier, mange-tout, chill pepper, red nion, red pepper, courgette and mini sweetcorn mixed in along with mixed spices. Mexican ftw.

i often get confused, how is a burrito different to a fajita.

I never knew. It appears as though a burrito fully encloses it's contents (including enclosing each end of the wrap) and then cooking it. Whereas a fajita is just a wrap you 'roll' yourself with pre-made ingredients.

It's all a bit inter-changeable but the common trait is that a burrito is fully enclosed.

It really is as simple as Brumerican says. The only difference is that you would add the vegetables later in the cooking process so that they don't turn completely to mush. I personally also think a more vinegary/bitter curry sauce works well with veg, rather than a sweet one. But that's completely up to your tastes.

I was looking more for suggestions on vegetables to use and what goes with what. When i cook Thai food i generally having alot of veg in their with the meat anyway (Sugar Snaps, Green Beans, Peppers, Sweet Potato) but with indian it's generally just meat and sauce, occasionally potatoes. So looking for some suggestions on that front really

Ooh, tamarind dip. Do tell :)

easy but long winded.

Break a block of tamaring up into a pan and add about a pint of water.

Bring to boil and simmer for about an hour.

Put through a sieve, and when cool push the paste through the sieve - I do this by wearing a latex glove and "fisting" it (fnarr fnarr)

Scrape the goo off the bottom of the sieve with a spoon and add to liquid in the pan. Repeat until you only have stones and skin left.

The stuff in the pan should be quite thick. add sugar and chilli powder, heat through. Leave to cool. Refrigerate.

Great with samosas, pakora or onion bhajees

I was looking more for suggestions on vegetables to use and what goes with what. When i cook Thai food i generally having alot of veg in their with the meat anyway (Sugar Snaps, Green Beans, Peppers, Sweet Potato) but with indian it's generally just meat and sauce, occasionally potatoes. So looking for some suggestions on that front really

Ah right. As well as those you mention (though I personally can't stomach sweet potato), I would use diced regular potato (par-boil first), pieces of cauliflower, sliced carrot, baby corns, water chestnuts and at the end throw in some bean sprouts. Avoid broccoli because it is too strong a flavour and I find it contaminates the sauce.

Anyone got any good vegetarian curry recipes? I love cooking curries and have all the spices and that but they're always meat based.. just started seeing a girl who is a vegetarian so looking for some ideas. Ta

Courgette "meatballs" (no meat).

- Grate about 3 courgettes into a bowl (for 2 people - adjust as required). Squeeze the juice out, and reserve in a separate bowl.

- Add to the courgettes 1 finely chopped onion, chopped green chillis to taste, handful of chopped fresh coriander, salt and pepper.

- Add enough gram flour to make it into a mixture that will stick together and keep its shape (go easy, can always add more), and shape into balls about the size of a small egg.

- Fry in veg oil - I use a wok for this, about an inch or so of oil. It won't be enough to cover them, you need to carefully turn them by gently rolling them over. Make sure the oil is hot enough before you put them in - you want a medium heat so they cook for about 5 mins and the outside gets brown but not burnt. Do about 5 or 6 at a time, don't crowd them or they will stick together. Drain with slotted spoon and place in a bowl lined with kitchen paper.

- Using a saute pan about big enough to take all the "meatballs" in a single layer, soften some chopped onions in oil, then add ground cumin, coriander, chilli and turmeric, salt and pepper. Add one or two chopped tomatoes (or equivalent tinned and chopped) and the reserved courgette juice. Simmer for about 15 mins. (Can all be prepped ahead up to this point).

About 15 mins before you want to eat, warn through the sauce (if you've let it cool down), and add some fresh cream, perhaps about a third of the volume of the sauce. Stir well, check for seasoning and adjust if needed, bring back up to a simmer, add the courgette balls, and turn down the heat so they simmer gently. Turn them over part way through, as gently as you can.

That's it. Looks good, tastes great.

This would go well with something like chick peas and spinach in a spicy sauce with tamarind, sharp against the creamy courgettes. With rice and maybe a mint raita, it's also pretty well balanced.

Cheers BOF

Rjw63: would that work with concentrated tamarind extract as well?

Yes, probably just need to add a bit of water.

You can also add jarred mint sauce but I hadnt got any

Extra tasty chicken seasoning. Stock cube doesn't seem to stick or get that nice rich coating.

Any ideas on what they add?

Read somewhere that it was garlic and onion powder but that sounds wrong an rank.

With extra tasty chickens approaching a fiver I think two chickens for a fiver from the farm shop might be better.

This evening's creation. I dub thee "Malicious delicious". A variation on what I cooked the other day, only this time it's to my own tastes heat-wise :twisted:

50ml sunflower oil

4 chicken breasts (diced)

1½"x1" ginger (chopped)

5 cloves garlic (chopped)

5 medium onions (chopped)

250g passatta

200ml natural yogurt (whisked)

(t=teaspoon)

1t coriander powder

1t cumin seeds (ground)

3t extra hot chilli powder

2 scotch bonnets (puréed)

1½" cinnamon stick (ground)

½t turmeric

1t jaggery

1 star anise (ground)

½t asafoetida powder

1t fenugreek seeds (ground)

½t nigella seeds (ground)

1t black pepper (ground)

2 bay leaves

2tblspoon apple vinegar

salt to taste

-------------------------

Roast all the spices that need to be ground - cumin, cinnamon, star anise, fenugreek, nigella, black pepper - for about a minute, then grind them.

Fry the onions & bay leaves in the oil for ~10-15 mins til they go transparent/beige.

Add the garlic & ginger with just enough water to stop it going dry and fry for 5 mins

Add the powdered spices (coriander, chilli, turmeric, asafoetida) and the puréed scotch bonnets to the pan and fry for 3 mins

Add the ground spices with a little water and fry for 5 mins.

Now add water and the chicken and cook for 10 minutes.

Now add the passatta, yogurt (and water to your own gravy level) and simmer until the chicken is cooked.

Finally add the vinegar, the jaggery and the salt to taste.

Definitely vindaloo strength. Mucho happiness :thumb:

Â