What's cooking / VT cookbook merge

trimandson

Do you like to cook ?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like to cook ?

• Yes
    • No

Sorry Peter, I completely forgot. There will of course be rice and dal with the mains. I will edit the OP. As for doing my own naan, to be honest I think for a first effort I've given myself more than enough to do/worry about. Depending on how this goes/how stressful the preparation is I might do it in future and I'll bear it in mind, but not this time.

Sorry Peter, I completely forgot. There will of course be rice and dal with the mains. I will edit the OP. As for doing my own naan, to be honest I think for a first effort I've given myself more than enough to do/worry about. Depending on how this goes/how stressful the preparation is I might do it in future and I'll bear it in mind, but not this time.

Workshy layabout. I suppose you won't be doing original amuse-bouches and petit-fours either, then? And they'll probably have to pour their own drinks.

Soup, chicken curry and green chutney done! Now just lamb main & other sides tomorrow. The chutney was unbelievable gorgeous and so simple. Cup of fresh coriander, some dried mint, sugar, salt, cumin powder, an onion, all puréed & then some lime juice. Heavenly.

Here's a plea: any cheap recipes that can be recommended for a novice cook? I've been interested in cooking for years now but mother never allowed me to use her kitchen for anything more than cooking instant noodles.

Soup, chicken curry and green chutney done! Now just lamb main & other sides tomorrow. The chutney was unbelievable gorgeous and so simple. Cup of fresh coriander, some dried mint, sugar, salt, cumin powder, an onion, all puréed & then some lime juice. Heavenly.

Come on then, how'd it go?

Dinner party couldn't have gone any better. They really didn't know I could cook and my best mate needed convincing that I actually did the cooking :hooray:

Here's a plea: any cheap recipes that can be recommended for a novice cook? I've been interested in cooking for years now but mother never allowed me to use her kitchen for anything more than cooking instant noodles.

Might be worth checking the Channel 4 and BBC food websites. Both have sections demonstrating techniques, as well as lots of recipes.

Right epicureans of VT (I'm looking at you peterms) I need some recipes for cooking razor clams. It was one of the two lowest tides of the year this evening, so there were dozens of people down on the beach catching razor clams. Basically you stomp along the water's edge, they spray out a tell tale bit of water, and you then squirt in some extremely salty water from a plastic bottle, and out they pop. It's amazing to watch, honestly. I've got a bucket full now, so any cooking tips gratefully received, else I'll just steam them and eat them like mussels.

Dinner party couldn't have gone any better. They really didn't know I could cook and my best mate needed convincing that I actually did the cooking :hooray:

Brilliant. Worth the effort, then.

It was quite the effort but yeah. It took 3 days to set it up and I also lost my Sunday by sleeping and cleaning up :)

Right epicureans of VT (I'm looking at you peterms) I need some recipes for cooking razor clams. It was one of the two lowest tides of the year this evening, so there were dozens of people down on the beach catching razor clams. Basically you stomp along the water's edge, they spray out a tell tale bit of water, and you then squirt in some extremely salty water from a plastic bottle, and out they pop. It's amazing to watch, honestly. I've got a bucket full now, so any cooking tips gratefully received, else I'll just steam them and eat them like mussels.

Reckon I might do this

I'd leave out the chilli and it would work just as well if you left out the chorizo.

* 12 Razor clams (about 3 per person) rinsed in water and dried on paper towel

* 1 Spanish onion, sliced finely

* 1 Clove garlic, chopped finely

* 2 Bacon rashers, chopped

* Tomatoes, chopped (about one cup)

* 1 cup chicken stock (or water)

* 1 cup red wine

* Salt and ground black pepper

* Olive oil for frying

1. In a large frypan or saucepan, heat oil, then add bacon, onion and garic and cook on high heat until coloured or brown.

2. Add tomatoes and mix, cook for a minute or two.

3. Add red wine and let the alcohol cook out

4. Add chicken stock, mix and turn down heat to simmer.

5. Cook until reduced by a third. Add salt and pepper to taste if necessary.

6. Turn heat high, and when boiling add razor clams and cook for a few minutes until done, mixing gently a few times.

Serve with and crusty bread and a fresh grinding of black pepper.

Razor clams - delicious. Also called spoots.

Interesting recipe here, but a bit fiddly.

Quick and simple one - more of a starter than a main course, but quite filling with the breadcrumbs:

Get a pan big enough to take the clams comfortably and with a tight-fitting lid. Clean any dirt off the clams. Turn your grill on high.

Chop or paste some garlic, 2-3 cloves, sweat gently in olive oil. Add a little white wine and the clams, put lid on and cook fast for a minute or two, until the clams have opened (same as cooking mussels).

Take the clams out and place on a plate for each person, in the shell and with open side up (just the half with the clam in).

Add to the pan a couple of handfuls of fresh breadcrumbs, juice of a lemon, some chopped parsley, and heat through. Spoon some of this mixture over each clam, put a small dab of butter on each clam, place under the hot grill for a couple of minutes, until butter has melted.

You could also use them in any recipe you would use for other clams, eg Spaghetti Vongole - steam them open as above, chop, and add to chilli-tomato sauce.

If you have loads, do both!

Me and my GF made a pizza last night, I can honestly say that it was the best pizza I've had in my life.

Sainsburys: rough prices (from memory)..

2 pizza bases - £1

Tomato Puree - £74p

Mozarella Cheese - £1.15

Pack of Turkey - £1

Pack of Ham - £1 ish

Mediterranian Roasted Vegetables - £2

I've got enough to make another pizza. I thought that making your own was meant to be cheap, but it's worked out at around £3.50 per pizza. I think, in the future, I'm going to just by the bases, tomato puree, cheese and some ham!

Me and my GF made a pizza last night, I can honestly say that it was the best pizza I've had in my life.

Sainsburys: rough prices (from memory)..

2 pizza bases - £1

Tomato Puree - £74p

Mozarella Cheese - £1.15

Pack of Turkey - £1

Pack of Ham - £1 ish

Mediterranian Roasted Vegetables - £2

I've got enough to make another pizza. I thought that making your own was meant to be cheap, but it's worked out at around £3.50 per pizza. I think, in the future, I'm going to just by the bases, tomato puree, cheese and some ham!

£ 3.50 isn't that bad really considering a large Domino's is going to cost the best part of £15. Obviously you can get decent cheap frozen pizzas such as Dr Oetker's for example but I 'd bet you also had a bit of fun making them yourself . That would be worthwhile for me even if it was a quid or two more than a frozen one.

Â