What's cooking / VT cookbook merge

trimandson

Do you like to cook ?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like to cook ?

• Yes
    • No

Oh. No I didn't. Congratulations. I did see you congratulating your team on FB so I assume that was part of it. I suppose the last thing you want to do when you get home is cook a dinner :)

pumpkin soup:

500g's cubed pumpkin

large potato cubed

onion diced

tsp cumin

tsp paprika

couple of cloves of garlic

twice as much grated ginger as garlic

500 / 600 ml stock

soften the onions in some oil, then add the ginger, garlic, cumin, paprika

after about a minute add the pumpkin, spud and stock

cook for about 20 minutes

leave it to cool a little

blend it all down

add some cream if you're that kind of person

simple and actually edible, which is unusual for pumpkin soup

See you'd have to be from the Midlands to even understand that, I'm actually thinking of writing a book about the regional variations in chip shop products, its quite fascinating. Scallops are definitely a midlands thing

But pizza supper special is possibly the most fascinating thing I've ever witnessed in a chip shop, a Sunderland speciality I believe.

Pizza supper is surely a scottish thing, thats where I was introduce to them.

Just made my own chilli pickle.

About 25 chopped green chillies, soaked in vinegar and lemon juice.

Then dry roasted and ground fennel and fenugreek seeds, and mango powder, salt, black pepper, turmeric, onion seeds, fresh coriander, a bit of garlic pickle as had no fresh garlic.

Mix well. add a spoon of sugar. Bollock a load of hot mustard or sunflowwer oil over it. Mix well, put in a jar.

Leave for at least 24 hours. I didn't and it's still awesome

• 2 weeks later...

Top cooking tip, from my missus:

Roasted chestnuts make a delightful seasonal ingredient. But remember two things.

1. Cut a small cross in them before roasting, so they don't explode in the oven.

2. If you should happen to forget 1 above, not to worry. Simply ensure that you make your error just before your bloke needs to use the oven, so that he cleans up after you. After all, scraping a lot of fine debris from a hot oven is potentially painful, and it's clearly better that any injury is borne by his nasty, brutish fingers than your gentle, delicate ones.

OK so I'm cooking Christmas dinner for the in-laws this year, and I'm struggling to see the fuss.

One Turkey crown from Tescos for 8-10 people should take somewhere between 2 and 3 hours to cook, no dramas here.

Vegetables will be cooked on the day the same way as they always are, with some added trimmings perhaps.

So why is it that I get a nagging voice in the back of my head telling me that I need to be preparing and cooking things the night before? Soaking vegatables and half cooking turkeys in advance. I feel like I'm missing something, but the way I see it, I'm just cooking a roast dinner the same way I always would.

• 3 weeks later...

Having my first haggis tomorrow. I'm intrigued.

dunno if I mentioned it before but when I was in Newcastle last month we went to a pub and had haggis scotch eggs, absolutely **** amazing they were

haggis scotch eggs

pigs ears

monkfish cheeks

each of them were lovely.

anyway just had a curry that I cooked yesterday, and I have finally nailed it, I am well chuffed with myself, just the right amount of sauce nice and hot (loads of chillies in there, chopped and whole)

I now pronounce myself a fully certified chef

• 3 weeks later...

Just got a turkey reduced from £35 to £5, which seems more like it. But it's not an easy thing to cook - too big, breast and legs cook at different rates, tends to dryness. Various ways of getting round that have been tried, like brining it before cooking, rotating it periodically while roasting so the juices run back into the breast, covering the breast in foil for part of the cooking, wrapping the whole thing in buttered muslin...might be better to treat it like two separate things.

So I shall take the breasts off (but leave them on that part of the carcass, to add flavour while cooking), brown them, and roast in a closed casserole with a little stock and tarragon, finishing the cooking liquid as a tarragon cream sauce when the meat is cooked.

And do the legs as "Rabbit cooked in a pit" - an unrecognisable adaptation of an Indian hunters' dish, involving marinading the boned meat in yogurt, spices, and the whizzed up remains of a pineapple salsa from last night, then roasting in the marinade, then reducing the roasting juices to a thick sauce, coating the cooked meat, wrapping in buttered tortillas, wrapping in foil and baking. (Recipe from the Cinnamon Club, haunt of Andrew MItchell).

The rest of the carcass and the giblets will make a great base for a rich soup.

Not bad for a fiver for the main ingredient...

Â