What's cooking / VT cookbook merge

trimandson

Do you like to cook ?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like to cook ?

• Yes
    • No

Yesterday for me was a fennel, red capsicum, carrot, broccoli & garlic stir fry with dijon mustard marinaded pork chops and fennel seeds. It was an experiment that went very well indeed.

Sounds good.  There's a Moro recipe for pork belly with fennel seeds, involving making a paste with ground fennel seeds and crushed garlic and rubbing into the meat before roasting.  I find it works better with added liquid, maybe a bit of white wine, lemon or vinegar, or a splash of water, perhaps some chilli as well.

Experimented with some kebabs at the weekend and they turned out absolutely bostin. Marinated big lamb cubes on skewers in basil olive oil, red wine and a load of Bahrat Iranian spice. Whacked them on griddle pan to cook.

Served with sundried tomato and mushroom durum wheat. Recommend!

Valentine's Day recipe for home-made chocolate truffles, simple as it gets.

Muscovado Truffles

100g muscovado sugar

Pinch of sea salt

250g double cream

250g 70% dark chocolate

50g cocoa powder

50g muscovado sugar

Weigh sugar and cream into a saucepan, add pinch of salt, bring to a simmer.

Break the chocolate into small pieces - the smaller the better, as you want it to melt into the cream mixture.  I chopped it with a food processor, or you could break into small pieces by hand and chop further with a suitable knife.

Put the chocolate in a bowl, add the cream/sugar mixture when at simmering point, then whisk until it's all mixed, the chocolate doesn't have any lumps left, and the ganache mixture looks glossy.

Let it cool, then place in the fridge for an hour or two.

Mix the cocoa powder and remaining Muscovado together, cut rough shapes out of the ganache with two teaspoons, drop them in the cocoa mixture, and roll until coated.  Or you could cut rough shapes first, then roll between your hands to make a rounder and more even shape before dropping into the coating.  But irregular shapes just emphasise that they're home-made.

You can store them in the fridge in an airtight box, and they will also freeze.

Eat as they are, or else drop one into hot milk to make a quick chocolate drink, or skewer with cocktail sticks, put in fridge, then melt more chocolate over a pan of hot water and dip them in the melted chocolate.  If they've been in the fridge, let them come to room temperature first.

The quality of the chocolate is all-important.  I used Green and Blacks (2x100g for £3) and topped up with Sainsbury's 79% for the remaining 50g, and used Green and Black's cocoa.

Recipe from Paul Young.

Yesterday for me was a fennel, red capsicum, carrot, broccoli & garlic stir fry with dijon mustard marinaded pork chops and fennel seeds. It was an experiment that went very well indeed.

anything. That needs that much seasoning is a waste :D

anything. That needs that much seasoning is a waste :D

I see what you tried to do there. Didn't work :D

Oh god no. Softshell crab is a definite no go for me. 

Softshell crab sushi is wonderful.  We usually end up ordering more.

Im sure it tastes amazing (I typically love to eat crab), but it just creeps me out when it's the full crab sitting there and you don't have to crack it open or anything. 

Oh god no. Softshell crab is a definite no go for me. 

Softshell crab sushi is wonderful.  We usually end up ordering more.

Im sure it tastes amazing (I typically love to eat crab), but it just creeps me out when it's the full crab sitting there and you don't have to crack it open or anything. 

There was the most amazing soft shell crab sushi served by a tiny place in Embra, for peanuts.  A work of art.  Impossible to order one portion and not demand another.   Place was too small, closed down because they couldn't make it work.  Don't know what became of the chef.  Tragic.

I reckon I could handle it in sushi form because it would not be the whole damn crab just sitting there on your plate. I've actually never been to that great of a sushi place in Scotland though, but I'm sure a nice little smaller place would have some decent stuff like the one you went to in Edinburgh. 

Today this bad boy arrived :clap: After watching the ease with which he made these dishes on the channel 4 show I can't wait to get stuck in. Unlike other books' recipes, there's no rocket surgery involved in this one. Just good simple grub done well.

9781444756692.jpg

Â