What's cooking / VT cookbook merge

trimandson

Do you like to cook ?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like to cook ?

• Yes
    • No

This evening's creation. I dub thee "Malicious delicious". A variation on what I cooked the other day, only this time it's to my own tastes heat-wise :twisted:

50ml sunflower oil

4 chicken breasts (diced)

1½"x1" ginger (chopped)

5 cloves garlic (chopped)

5 medium onions (chopped)

250g passatta

200ml natural yogurt (whisked)

(t=teaspoon)

1t coriander powder

1t cumin seeds (ground)

3t extra hot chilli powder

2 scotch bonnets (puréed)

1½" cinnamon stick (ground)

½t turmeric

1t jaggery

1 star anise (ground)

½t asafoetida powder

1t fenugreek seeds (ground)

½t nigella seeds (ground)

1t black pepper (ground)

2 bay leaves

2tblspoon apple vinegar

salt to taste

-------------------------

Roast all the spices that need to be ground - cumin, cinnamon, star anise, fenugreek, nigella, black pepper - for about a minute, then grind them.

Fry the onions & bay leaves in the oil for ~10-15 mins til they go transparent/beige.

Add the garlic & ginger with just enough water to stop it going dry and fry for 5 mins

Add the powdered spices (coriander, chilli, turmeric, asafoetida) and the puréed scotch bonnets to the pan and fry for 3 mins

Add the ground spices with a little water and fry for 5 mins.

Now add water and the chicken and cook for 10 minutes.

Now add the passatta, yogurt (and water to your own gravy level) and simmer until the chicken is cooked.

Finally add the vinegar, the jaggery and the salt to taste.

Definitely vindaloo strength. Mucho happiness :thumb:

Now am I much mistaken, or is it just a short time ago that you were asking "How would I go about cooking a curry"?

It was :) I plunged head first into it :thumb: Made a few from recipes and then figured I'd see what I could do.

I'm looking at the starter & desserts now. Soups & kulfis next. Then it'll be house parties and the works :)

It was :) I plunged head first into it :thumb: Made a few from recipes and then figured I'd see what I could do.

I'm looking at the starter & desserts now. Soups & kulfis next. Then it'll be house parties and the works :)

I expect my invitation is in the post. I'm in Dublin on Monday. :winkold:

Anyone got it? It promises to get a 'restaurant' style curry.

I'm trying to avoid the generic restaurant type curry and go for the stuff Indians themselves actually eat IRL.

Anyone got it? It promises to get a 'restaurant' style curry.

I'm trying to avoid the generic restaurant type curry and go for the stuff Indians themselves actually eat IRL.

It's an entirely different type of food granted, but it's bloody good.

I can't get the hang of the more traditional recipes, the ones I've tried have lacked flavour.

Not wanting to blow my own trumpet but it's got to the point now where I'd rather make my own curry than eat out. Saying that I'm going out for an Indian tonight :lol:

Anybody used cloves in a curry? beware, it's a very strong flavour :nod:

Red pepper, ginger & fennel soup for tonight. Also includes cumin, turmeric, cayenne, chopped onion, chopped potato, single cream & chicken stock. All blended smooth.

On fresh batch bread. Yum.

Don't forget to make stock from the carcass and have whopper soups for the next week.
Sounds nice, never thought to do that.

I used to boil the chicken carcass in milk, then use that to make a chicken and pasta soup

Very nice (and easy)

Don't forget to make stock from the carcass and have whopper soups for the next week.
Sounds nice, never thought to do that.

I used to boil the chicken carcass in milk, then use that to make a chicken and pasta soup

Very nice (and easy)

go on

Put all the chicken bones in a large pan with one big chopped onion, a few crushed garlic cloves, a cinnamon stick and half a dozen cloves.

Bring to the boil and simmer for an hour.

Strain through a sieve. Heat through and add cornflour to thicken.

Add pre cooked pasta twirls or shells, some pieces of chicken and salt and pepper

• 2 weeks later...
Â