Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

1 hour ago, Spoony said:

Lehmann wasn’t even a great keeper and he’s really old so I’m not sure why they’d want him in a number seven role. 

Before he moved in goals as a youngster, he was great in the hole.

7 minutes ago, thunderball said:

I get a creeping sense we are actually not being as forthright [and aggressive] in this window as required. I think our attempt at playing a clever game will backfire. I would rather they slightly over pay and we get 3 of 4 or 5 very important targets and fudge the other requirements than try and box clever with our budget and end up losing out on someone we want like we did last Summer.

Over pay like we did in the championship and end with over paid bench warmers we can’t shift like Hogan and Lansbury 

Edited by CarryOnVilla

4 minutes ago, paul514 said:

Perhaps but it really stood out to me.

There’s clearly a step up and goals in the Championship don’t equate to goals in the Prem.

I mean Maupay scored 25 goals in the Championship (same as Watkins) and he scores 10 in the Prem.

That’s why we shouldn’t pay more than the c£20m Brighton paid for Maupay.

7 minutes ago, rayk said:

There’s clearly a step up and goals in the Championship don’t equate to goals in the Prem.

I mean Maupay scored 25 goals in the Championship (same as Watkins) and he scores 10 in the Prem.

Yea but I made a comment about this on the Eduoard thread and some people mistook what I was saying.

You can watch a player in usually an inferior league or a league that is very different with how they play and say he would do very well in our league.

I already preferred Eduoard and Iheanacho over him and this solidifies that’s for me.

i mean... and hear me out before you shout....if we dont sign anyone we will still have a squad of players who were good enough to stay up in the premier league, have an extra year of experience and togetherness, and with the addition of our first choice goalkeeper and a £20m striker back from injury  

when you think about it like that, why are we all getting so uptight about this whole silly transfer window business :ph34r:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Over pay like we did in the championship and end with over paid bench warmers we can’t shift like Hogan and Lansbury 

No, we will never do that again with this ownership and management. I mean like paying £20m for Maupay or £18m for Benrahma last summer; or paying £25m for Watkins now rather than seeing if we can get him for £22m etc etc.

If we’ve done our scouting and we have belief in the players we are pursuing, we have to have courage in our conviction. The likely hood is, if they are the quality that we expect, their value will rise and vindicate the slight overpayment we have  had to make to secure the signing.

Edited by thunderball

11 minutes ago, rayk said:

How much would you pay for tammy? Similar background, similar stats and he got to do it in a better team

2 minutes ago, TheMelvillan said:

i mean... and hear me out before you shout....if we dont sign anyone we will still have a squad of players who were good enough to stay up in the premier league, have an extra year of experience and togetherness, and with the addition of our first choice goalkeeper and a £20m striker back from injury  

when you think about it like that, why are we all getting so uptight about this whole silly transfer window business :ph34r:

Oh God you're in for it now. 

Just now, thunderball said:

No, we will never do that again with this ownership and management. I mean like paying £20m for Maupay or £18m for Benrahma last summer; or paying £25m for Watkins now rather than seeing if we can get him for £22m etc etc.

I suspect we won’t get Benrahma for £18m this time round so that would have made sense to buy him last season rather than spend £10m+ on Trez.

8 hours ago, thunderball said:

I get a creeping sense we are actually not being as forthright [and aggressive] in this window as required. I think our attempt at playing a clever game will backfire. I would rather they slightly over pay and we get 3 of 4 or 5 very important targets and fudge the other requirements than try and box clever with our budget and end up losing out on someone we want like we did last Summer.

very much agree with this, this window isnt the time for playing "clever and cute", if we need to pay a few million over the odds to get the right players now, we need to do it (ie: Benrahma/other for 22m rather than 18m.......just pay it.....we need the right players now, not an 8d chess match)

45 minutes ago, paul514 said:

I just watched a compilation of Watkins goals on the Sky Sport YouTube channel and I don't think quite a fair number of them would have resulted in a  goal in this league.

thats my concern.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cheltenham_villa said:

How much would you pay for tammy? Similar background, similar stats and he got to do it in a better team

It’s a good question and all I can say is that the selling club generally holds the cards.

And given that’s Chelsea, unless they want shot of him (which they don’t) he would cost many times more than £20m.

10 minutes ago, thunderball said:

If we’ve done our scouting and we have belief in the players we are pursuing, we have to have courage in our conviction. The likely hood is, if they are the quality that we expect, their value will rise and vindicate the slight overpayment we have  had to make to secure the signing.

Thats where knowing the player is good enough is crucial......judgement is key.

8 hours ago, paul514 said:

I just watched a compilation of Watkins goals on the Sky Sport YouTube channel and I don't think quite a fair number of them would have resulted in a  goal in this league.

8 hours ago, TRO said:

thats my concern.

i also thought that, this isnt to say he isnt Prem quality, he might be, but a fair few of those goals would never in a month of sundays been a goal in the prem (unless Nyland was the gk)

• Like 2