Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

2 minutes ago, useless said:

Shakespeare was brought in by Smith, they've known each other since Smith was a youth footballer. Shakespeare hasn't been brought in to be the next Villa manager, makes no sense whatsoever.

Whats he be brought in for then ? - How many assistant coaches do we need ? 

8 minutes ago, sne said:

13 games under Schteve McClaren.

Exactly, another mitigating factor. Frankly I think he'd be a very positive signing, definitely has some of that pace we lack and can chip in with goals and assists. My only concern would be the defensive aspect, but if the coaches think they can work on that I'd be all for it.

1 minute ago, hippo said:

He's been brought in because he has experience of coaching premier league sides - which the management team was crying out for last season.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, useless said:

As we get closer to the close of the window they will panic and have no choice but to lower their asking prices, we're adamant that we're not going to over pay.

Or we panic as we consider going into season trusting to Davis, Samatta and Hogan to provide the goals. And then have to pay premium to get at least someone in.

2 minutes ago, hippo said:

To give the team a fresh impetus and a different focus on different things. Many teams have large coaching staff group. Fergie always used to change his staffing every couple of years 

2 minutes ago, El-Reacho said:

He's been brought in because he has experience of coaching premier league sides - which the management team was crying out for last season.

Precisley.

I think if we flounder next season the board won't be as patient.

6 minutes ago, hippo said:

I think they want a plan ready to go should results go awry next season. Without the lockdown I think DS would have gone - as he would of if we were relegated. There were strong rumours he would have gone after the chelsea game had it not been postponed - straight after the season end we were linked with another head coach. Its only my opinion but I think the odds of smith not lasting the whole of next season are quite high.

I don’t think chopping and changing manager helps anyone. I think on the whole, Smith has done a great job since coming in, he got us promoted from The Championship and then kept us in The Premier League the following season. I don’t know the long term ambitions of the owners or manager but they’ve both made a great start in my opinion 

• Like 1

Just now, RichiBoi11 said:

Exactly, another mitigating factor. Frankly I think he'd be a very positive signing, definitely has some of that pace we lack and can chip in with goals and assists. My only concern would be the defensive aspect, but if the coaches think they can work on that I'd be all for it.

That and the ankle surgery but he should be fine now. Marseille would not sell unless they needed too. He's been critical of the team performances but mainly they need money.

FEATURE | Financial troubles at Marseille – just how bad is it?

The Ligue de Football Professionnel’s (LFP) financial governing body, Direction Nationale du Contrôle de Gestion (DNCG), recently made public league and club financial results from the 2018/19 Ligue 1 and 2 seasons. The documents revealed €91 million in losses incurred by Olympique de Marseille and shed greater light on an agreement reached by the club with UEFA’s Club Financial Control Board in June of 2019. A settlement which restricted its ability to purchase players along with other measures designed to curtail spending.

OM’s losses are seeded in years of financial mismanagement, but became pronounced when the club made the decision to pursue Champions’ League football as a financial antidote rather than the austerity measures now imposed upon it by UEFA. The story has become a familiar one across Europe, but several key factors unique to French football influenced Marseille’s decision-making.

The losses in 2018/19 marked the third straight year in which Marseille had recorded a negative profit. The poor financial showings caught the eye of UEFA, who determined that the French club had broken financial fair play regulations. Meanwhile, the LFP, whose own guidelines restrict teams from posting losses for three consecutive seasons, is still expected to weigh in.

https://www.getfootballnewsfrance.com/2020/feature-financial-troubles-at-marseille-just-how-bad-is-it/

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

True but we looked like a mid table team post lockdown

I think our midfield is really good. Jack is superb on the left. Samatta and Wesley are both crap, hoping for a big season for Keinan. Trezeguet on the right is a bit like Weimann, works like a horse and will ship in with a goal every now and then but limited player.

Our defence is ok. Targett still terrifies me defensively but he is good going forward. Heaton on his way back.

I don't think it's as bad as people are suggesting if we make no signings.

Sorry I cant disagree with you more and that's me who thought we would survive all the way through when you were saying we would be cut adrift.  This team played hard towards the end of the season and dug out some amazing results but this team is poor, it is a 15th to 19th team at best, if it stays as it is we are struggling next season fighting next season.  We dont know fully how the last 10 games affected most teams, from their fitness to mental interest to getting used to the new environment.  It worked for us for those remaining games but the new season starts soon and everybody knows the environment now, everybody is back mentally and teams are starting fresh, fit and ready for the new hope of the season.  On that basis we are not ready and we'll know whether the games post lockdown were real or whether that was just circumstances if we stay with the same team and that's a massive risk.

Our midfield has been poor most of the season.  Jack is better wide left.  That leaves McGinn and Luiz.........that's two midfielders, so we dont have a full compliment of midfielders to put out on the pitch, nevermind back ups/alternatives.  Conor played good but we all know he get's lost in games and if it wasnt for his set pieces he probably would get even less time on the pitch.  Nakamba....who knows what he'll be, either rubbish or maybe something a bit better.  Our midfield was over run most of the season that our defence was defending, as you said, over 20 shots per game and that was because of the lack of protection from our midfield along with defensive issues.

As for Wesley, Samatta and Davis.  Well hopefully reports are true and Keinan is going to Preston or another team, if we have to rely on him we are doomed.  He should be 3rd or 4th choice at best if we hope to be a mid table team.  The hope is more on Wesley coming back good...as for Samatta, he was good pre lockdown and hopes were on him post lockdown and then he was really poor.  He's new, let's see what he does but we really should be relying on a new striker(s) that we are bringing in because our strikers last season produced very poor goal returns with only Wes in 1 in 4 anywhere near where we need to be.

Trez looked good because of the few goals he scored but generally in the games was not involved, we need more from wide men.

Our defence who you were critical of all season with 20 plus shots.  

You have so flipped from your views 3 months ago.....we will be cut adrift, blah blah blah...now the same team will be ok 🤣

We need 3 or 4 (+) quality signings to be ok.  This current team is poor and the rosy end to the season shouldn't deflect how poor this team is and that is from me who again believed we would survive but that survival in hindsight was against all odds.  So for you to say it's not as bad as people is suggesting given your prior comments is truly bizarre!!!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, hippo said:

Precisley.

I think if we flounder next season the board won't be as patient.

It's a bit of a jump though from coaching the first team on the training pitch to becoming head coach. Shakespeare has shown he can coach the first team at Leicester and Watford under a Head Coach. He's also shown that he doesn't have what it takes to be a Head Coach. If our owners are as ambitious as is being suggested they're not going to go for someone who's only experience as Head Coach is being sacked after 6 months at Leicester when they were in the relegation zone.

1 minute ago, El-Reacho said:

It's a bit of a jump though from coaching the first team on the training pitch to becoming head coach. Shakespeare has shown he can coach the first team at Leicester and Watford under a Head Coach. He's also shown that he doesn't have what it takes to be a Head Coach. If our owners are as ambitious as is being suggested they're not going to go for someone who's only experience as Head Coach is being sacked after 6 months at Leicester when they were in the relegation zone.

Given the ambition of the owners, if Dean does go the board wont be promoting Shakespeare, they'll be going for somebody a lot bigger otherwise what is the point of them investing 140m last season and then apparently the 100m this season that is to come.  So I agree with you.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, hippo said:

Hence the Craig Shakespeare appointment - next manager in waiting.

Completely and utterly baseless assumption. We have big time owners only interested in getting this club to the top and their backup plan to Smith one day leaving or being sacked is Shakespeare??? That guy who has only been a manager once in his life.

OR, or his appointment could be more like, I don't know, let's say because he has a long history with Smith (back to their playing days at Walsall) and he's a Villa fan with family in the midlands and is renowned as being a top quality number two and the likelihood that Terry will be off soon?

Edited by Okonokos
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Okonokos said:

Completely and utterly baseless assumption. We have big time owners only interested in getting this club to the top and their backup plan to Smith one day leaving or being sacked is Shakespeare??? That guy who has only been a manager once in his life.

OR, or his appointment could be more like, I don't know, let's say because he has a long history with Smith (back to their playing days at Walsall) and he's a Villa fan with family in the midlands and is renowned as being a top quality number two and the likelihood that Terry will be off soon?

Imo that's the most likely scenario. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Sulberto21 said:

Imo that's the most likely scenario. 

Exactly. When Terry joined he said he wanted to be a manager one day and this was his way of earning his stripes. He'll be off when the right job comes along and I'll wish him well. Shakespeare is an improvement on him as a joint number 2 (joint with O'Kelly of course) in all honesty.

Marseille have a lot of interesting players and being up shit creek financially let’s take advantage... Anyone of the following please would be nice. Djule Caleta-car, Boubacar Kamara, Morgan Sanson, Valentin Rongier, Maxine Lopez... All would improve quality immensely and now should be easily obtainable at a good price. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Marseille have a lot of interesting players and being up shit creek financially let’s take advantage... Anyone of the following please would be nice. Djule Caleta-car, Boubacar Kamara, Morgan Sanson, Valentin Rongier, Maxine Lopez... All would improve quality immensely and now should be easily obtainable at a good price. 

I've heard big things about Kamara. Going to be a top star apparently.

5 minutes ago, Okonokos said:

Expected no different.

Which is why I've been baffled at the notion that some people think they went on holiday, and discussed nothing, until a couple of days ago.

No way would they be that naïve.

I'm sure certain foundations were set/discussed before Lange even officially took up the role.

• Like 3