Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

21 minutes ago, Mat Kendrick's Dentist said:

Maxi Gomez is miles better than Wes at pretty much every aspect of football

You're certainly entitled to that opinion, but the numbers suggest they're far closer than you think.

This season:

WESLEY

Non-penalty goals per shot: 0.16
xGoals per shot: 0.21
xGoals/90: 0.36

GOMEZ

Non-penalty goals per shot: 0.25
xGoals per shot: 0.15
xGoals/90: 0.29

1 hour ago, VillaHatesMe said:

You're certainly entitled to that opinion, but the numbers suggest they're far closer than you think.

This season:

WESLEY

GOMEZ

I respect your opinion too, but I've watched enough of both players to know there's a massive gulf between them. Maxi Gomez has performed really well in La Liga, was instrumental in keeping a poor Celta side up for 2 seasons, and had a decent first season at Valencia. Wesley had an ordinary record in Belgium, and had far more poor games than good this season IMO.

• Like 4

Abit of a thing in the media suggesting Daniel Sturridge still likes the idea of a move to us. 

Let's leave it as an idea and go no further.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dave-R said:

Abit of a thing in the media suggesting Daniel Sturridge still likes the idea of a move to us. 

If this season has taught us anything surely it's to have a good depth of squad. Sturridge looked very good in Turkey this year, only the pandemic saw him leave.

If he is fit, in the right frame of mind and willing to accept more realistic wages and a squad role then he is an excellent player who we should not be turning our noses up at.

Isn't his family all based here as well? Obviously a few big IFS but if Smith and Suso are convinced by him then I'm all for it

2 hours ago, ramshackler said:

If this season has taught us anything surely it's to have a good depth of squad. Sturridge looked very good in Turkey this year, only the pandemic saw him leave.

If he is fit, in the right frame of mind and willing to accept more realistic wages and a squad role then he is an excellent player who we should not be turning our noses up at.

Isn't his family all based here as well? Obviously a few big IFS but if Smith and Suso are convinced by him then I'm all for it

Did he?

He has 8 different injuries registered that caused him to miss 15 games + whatever the last injury would have meant before he was banned for the rest of the season for illegal betting charges with his brother.

Out of the 11 games he played all season he has 4 goals and 4 assist which isn't terrible but not fantastic either. 4 of those games were only short cameos and in one he was subbed at HT. All according to Transfermarkt

Rather re-sign Micah Richards 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dave-R said:

A bit if a thing on whats app suggesting I would also like the idea of playing for Villa.

I equally agree that wouldn't work out well either.

I'd rather stick with Davis than have Sturridge...

(Walks out the thread before @nick76 reads this  :D)

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

A bit if a thing on whats app suggesting I would also like the idea of playing for Villa.

I equally agree that wouldn't work out well either.

I'd rather stick with Davis than have Sturridge...

(Walks out the thread before @nick76 reads this  :D)

I’m going to shock you but I’d rather have Davis than Sturridge 

C021A312-0229-4267-AB8C-D4531043B019.jpeg

• Haha 3

This season

Maxi Gomez- 13 goals in 50 games
Wesley- 6 goals in 23 Games
Andrea Belotti- 22 goals in 41 games 

Glad we avoided Maxi Gomez! Belotti would of been a mega signing

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, VillaHatesMe said:

This season:

WESLEY

GOMEZ

Wes with a higher expected goals per 90 in the PL. Gomez also played a fair amount in CL and did not score. There were multiple games I was frustrated with Wes but analytics tell us he would’ve been more than serviceable in his first season. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, messi11 said:

This season

Maxi Gomez- 13 goals in 50 games
Wesley- 6 goals in 23 Games
Andrea Belotti- 22 goals in 41 games 

Glad we avoided Maxi Gomez! Belotti would of been a mega signing

Would Belotti have a similar scoring record in the Premier League? last year a 37 year old Quagriaella was top scorer in serie a 

2 hours ago, nick76 said:

I’m going to shock you but I’d rather have Davis than Sturridge 

C021A312-0229-4267-AB8C-D4531043B019.jpeg

I think you missed the opportunity nick, shouldnt of been a shocker but instead a Stunner 😉

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

Daniel Sturridge might FIRE us to glory next season 😉

Whoever it is mate, we need to bring someone in who is capable of scoring and can score freely from anywhere. I think we will have to spend big on one striker alone and try to lure someone exceptional in. 

The only thing I'm scared of if we spend big is that we just go and throw the money away like we have on Wesley and Samatta. Sure Wesley was scoring from within the box and who knows how many he'd be on now if hadn't of been injured. Davis we should play behind a striker and Samatta I would sell. I would also let Vasilev have some time here and there and think he would be a better fit than Samatta.

All in all, one fantastic, homework done on a striker who will run his socks off and can demolish defenses as soon as hes on the ball. Remember this guy is a lone striker has limited back up or next to none, so he needs to capitalise on being solo up front. Needs to make defenders work there butts off to take the ball away from him and that will cost us a good price because were asking alot from this player.

Was going to post pre-game but was tempting fate a little too much!

There are a few from the relegated sides who’d improve us, although there’s going to be quite a bit of competition for some:

Norwich: Cantwell, Buendía, Max Aarons

Bournemouth: Brooks, Josh King, Harry Wilson

Watford: Doucoure, Deulofeu, Sarr

Obviously some of those are more gettable than others...