Formula One - 2020

BOF

I agree with that, but fundamentally I find it hard to be enthusiastic for any F1 winner, be it him, vettel or schumacher when the competition is so warped in his favour. Today was a great driver, but as soon as the madness died down, despite the commentators bigging up the prospect of any winners, it was obvious, bar car trouble Hamilton would win on raw pace. 

It's always a great achievement, but it's the eulogising that it's somehow a miracle when if he wasn't in the mercedes even his ability would not have won any of his mercedes titles. The car has been so dominant. 

Well, even when the bloke has struggled by his standards throughout the weekend and the Merc (Bottas) even more so, Hamilton still ends up winning and winning comfortably. I wish he wasn't so dominant but what can you do when he's so good. 7 world titles and a free 8th world title next season already wrapped up, I bet he's laughing. Red Bull really did bottle that race big time today though imo, that car seemed so set and suited to the conditions through the weekend but Max's race was over after he spun next to Perez. He really didn't need to push that so hard and as for Albon well you can't count on him for anything. 

A great race overall though, well chuffed for Seb to snatch that podium on the last lap. Great to see him back up there. Real shame for Lance, his race just went to pot after that pretty terrible strategy decision. 

Also, if Perez doesn't have a seat for next season something has gone seriously seriously wrong. The bloke is brilliant someone must sign him. 

Edited by Farlz

8 minutes ago, Farlz said:

but Max's race was over after he spun next to Perez. He really didn't need to push that so hard and as for Albon well you can't count on him for anything. 

This is the kind of thing Lewis used to do but has cut out as he’s gained experience. Today he didn’t do anything rash when he was going backwards, just waited for the race to come to him.

Unfortunately the dominance of Mercedes from there ability to spend a ludicrous amount on their car does make it a waste of time from an overall championship point of view. All we can hope for is exciting one off races delivered by the weather. If the sun is out then you can pretty much guarantee the Mercedes will come out on top.

7 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

It’s sad really when you think how much the country would revel in a Hill or Mansell championship in the 90’s compared to this now.

Lewis will be lucky to get a “and finally” mention on the news today. 

20 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

When a competition isn’t competitive it loses a lot unfortunately. 

It’s sad really when you think how much the country would revel in a Hill or Mansell championship in the 90’s compared to this now.

11 minutes ago, Genie said:

Lewis will be lucky to get a “and finally” mention on the news today. 

How many millions will have been watching on sky sports today?

Just now, Genie said:

I don’t know, why do you ask?

Well, I guess (and it is a guess) that when Mansell and Hill were doing their thing, there were 3 or 4 free to air TV channels so quite a large sofa based audience.

Now, there are 245 channels, the race was on a pay channel? It was also in competition with X Box and PlayStation and Netflix and a thousand new things.

So Hamilton probably isn’t cutting through in quite the same way as Mansell might have, as Mansell wasn’t competing with everyone watching wrestling on their phone or shooting zombies live and real time with some kids from Russia and Argentina.

Maybe. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Well, I guess (and it is a guess) that when Mansell and Hill were doing their thing, there were 3 or 4 free to air TV channels so quite a large sofa based audience.

Now, there are 245 channels, the race was on a pay channel? It was also in competition with X Box and PlayStation and Netflix and a thousand new things.

So Hamilton probably isn’t cutting through in quite the same way as Mansell might have, as Mansell wasn’t competing with everyone watching wrestling on their phone or shooting zombies live and real time with some kids from Russia and Argentina.

Maybe. 

Yeah I am sure there is a degree of that. It’s the same with most sports when they are picked up by Sky, the general interest drops.

Facebook is a good barometer, for such a huge achievement pretty much no mention of it.

Edited by Genie

3 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

It’s not even the top story on the sky sports news app, in fact, you have to scroll down a bit to find it, says a lot.

Yeah it’s below the Masters Final Round status on the sky sports news website.

32 minutes ago, Genie said:

Yeah I am sure there is a degree of that. It’s the same with most sports when they are picked up by Sky, the general interest drops.

Snooker used to get 20 plus million watching the world championship final! Nowadays people would struggle to name the champion. General interest goes down but the players are richer than ever before. 

Boxing used to be massive on a Saturday evening on ITV; Benn, Eubank, Watson, etc

Back to Lewis, great achievement and a he's an excellent driver. Struggle to warm to him though. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Xela said:

Snooker used to get 20 plus million watching the world championship final! Nowadays people would struggle to name the champion. General interest goes down but the players are richer than ever before. 

Boxing used to be massive on a Saturday evening on ITV; Benn, Eubank, Watson, etc

Back to Lewis, great achievement and a he's an excellent driver. Struggle to warm to him though. 

Big Daddy, Giant Haystacks..... Aaaaaarrrr.   Jumpers for goalposts.....mmmmmmm.

7 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

How many millions will have been watching on sky sports today?

I read years ago that sky f1 viewers were quite low, it wasn't in the millions it was in the hundred thousands level

But on a side note the highest viewed premier league game was Southampton v man city, which was a free to air game on BBC after the restart, which got 5.7 million viewers

It's not the same as watching Kimi beat HAM and ALO by a few points for the title but if you pretend Merc and RB (well, Max) don't exist this season has been really exciting, Formula 1.5 I think seems to be the joke name for it. Obviously if the battle for 3rd in the constructors was a battle for 1st instead the excitement would be ten-fold but it's still nice to watch 3 or 4 teams battling so closely over a season.

Stroll was the only driver from RP, Renault, McLaren not really pulling his weight this season and then bam, sticks it on pole round an ice rink in a monsoon. All that training with Rob Wilson seems to have really paid off.

I think the set up that worked so well for them in quali and then the first stint was probably the cause of his pace falling off a cliff but it definitely added some excitement to the race.

Edited by YouUnastanFren
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thruxton-like Bahrain Outer circuit tipped to produce “bonkers” race

2020 Sakhir Grand Prix

Formula 1 drivers expect a new challenge and a lively grand prix when F1 returns to the Bahrain International Circuit for a second race on its shorter ‘Outer’ circuit next week.

The familiar 15-turn, 5.4-kilometre circuit will host this weekend’s Bahrain Grand Prix. However next week’s second race at the venue, dubbed the Sakhir Grand Prix, will take place on the shorter, 3.5-kilometre ‘Outer’ circuit.

By F1 standards, its layout is very simple, with just four braking zones at the most. Lando Norris said the “unique” circuit reminds him of Thruxton in Britain: “It’s not many corners – small, sharp corners, the ones we have in Bahrain – but at the same time it’s a very small oval kind-of shape track and very short as well.”

bahrain-international-circuit-outer-470x

Linkety clickings

Stalk GIF

(please don't mess up the DRS zones, please don't mess up the DRS zones, please don't mess up the DRS zones)

• Like 1