Relegation thread

Knutserov13

9 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

But a fantastically honest and blunt assessment of why they got relegated. No dean, your team didn't get relegated because Jack's the most fouled player in the league etc etc. Talks some brown.

Where's he said that? Is this another lie to have a go at Dean Smith with?

9 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

They got cheated of 3 points. If we are all about fact and truth here let's not just spew it when it suits.

Crystal Palace away same thing we got screwed

• Like 1

1 hour ago, useless said:

West Ham beating Chelsea wasn't that unexpected, I predicted it.

Chelsea have lost plenty of games like that this season, as have most of the so called big clubs, only exceptions are Liverpool and Man CIty.

But for some reason we haven't been able to take advantage. It's our rivals taking advantage of the poor form over the season of teams like Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs, and Man Utd, whilst we haven't been able to that could ultimatley cost us.

Lost to Norwich 3-2 I believe.

Liverpool also lost Watford, but them and Man City losing to weaker oppostion, or losing at all is a rare thing, whereas the likes of Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal and Man Utd losing to the division's weaker sides hasn't been all that rare this season, we're the only team that hasn't been able to win games against such clubs.

56 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Sorry I wasn't clear, I'd rather be Norwich as a club in current culture and squad. They didn't spoof a shedload of money and they actually play with some kind of plan and spirit, albeit one that wasn't good enough but still better imo than what we do, because I have no idea what we do. We look scared to do anything, which results in the inevitable. 

Bruce got slated for his timid approach, and rightly so, well what I see isnt much better than that.

I don't hate Smith, I'm not sure I even want him to lose his job but he has without a doubt betrayed his own philosophies and in any business and job any walk of life..... If you don't believe in yourself how do you expect others to believe in you.

If Smith goes I won't be jumping for joy, I will actually be quite sad. However I'll probably think it's the right decision in the best interests of Aston Villa.

My earlier message was a poor attempt at a bit of humour. I was looking forward to the posts, not revelling in our current situation as dire as it is.

We could complain about our spending but we tried to build a team to stay in the league ,Norwich so scared of going back down did nothing and apart from the City win have played some pretty football but been useless all season- they have been making up the numbers.At least we gave it a go 

If we go down it will be because of our poor defending earlier in the season but we have been somewhat unlucky with the games we had left to play we have had all but City from the top 6 and the easiest game we had on paper was Newcastle who decided to hit some form.Hard to see us taking anything from United , only hope there is DeGea drops another clanger after that Everton ,Palace and West Ham should be beatable but Arsenal also look decent again.

1 hour ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Sorry I wasn't clear, I'd rather be Norwich as a club in current culture and squad. They didn't spoof a shedload of money and they actually play with some kind of plan and spirit, albeit one that wasn't good enough but still better imo than what we do, because I have no idea what we do. We look scared to do anything, which results in the inevitable. 

Bruce got slated for his timid approach, and rightly so, well what I see isnt much better than that.

I don't hate Smith, I'm not sure I even want him to lose his job but he has without a doubt betrayed his own philosophies and in any business and job any walk of life..... If you don't believe in yourself how do you expect others to believe in you.

If Smith goes I won't be jumping for joy, I will actually be quite sad. However I'll probably think it's the right decision in the best interests of Aston Villa.

My earlier message was a poor attempt at a bit of humour. I was looking forward to the posts, not revelling in our current situation as dire as it is.

I certainly wouldn't. Their ceiling isn't a hell of a lot higher than it is now and they'll have to sell their best players for half of what we can demand. 

Smith isn't going anywhere and we'll be fine in the long term. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mjvilla said:

Where's he said that? Is this another lie to have a go at Dean Smith with?

Was kinda paraphrasing and joking, hence the lack of quotes. I know jack been the most fouled player cant be an out for him to use if we get relegated, obviously , although he likes to use it a fair bit when we get beaten.

1 hour ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Bruce got slated for his timid approach, and rightly so, well what I see isnt much better than that

Norwich came up with zero intention of having a go, taking the cash, and coming straight back down. that cash will not be reinvested in the squad (like burnley did a few years back) but instead will just go in the owners' back pockets and should they come up again, the same will happen. couple that with them being the one club (please correct me if i'm wrong) that did not backtrack on furloughing their staff and instead took the cash from the government despite the millions in TV money they've received this season. imagine supporting a club like that...that 'culture' you mention, **** stinks as far as i'm concerned

at least we have had a go...spent every penny of our TV money and then some on a squad that we thought could compete. whilst i agree with players looking scared/timid to do anything, we played without fear earlier in the season and it seldom worked out for us and shipped goals for fun in the process. if we defended vs arsenal as we have defended since restart we'd have won that...and that's just one example

• Like 2

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

Chelsea were hanging on for their lives yesterday and were grateful the ref blew the whistle.

And people think Palace are at the "beach"...

Do you understand English football, even remotely? I don’t think you do. This was a London Derby, a game against one of the worlds richest and most prominent clubs, an opportunity to knock a cocky neighbour off of their perch. Not too dissimilar to when Villa face the knuckle draggers from the arse end of the City. They gave it everything.....and lost. We’ll see how much desire they have on Sunday, whether they can reach the same levels again. I personally doubt it. 

15 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

Was kinda paraphrasing and joking, hence the lack of quotes. I know jack been the most fouled player cant be an out for him to use if we get relegated, obviously , although he likes to use it a fair bit when we get beaten.

Does he? When? I don't really watch post match interviews so would like to know when he's said this 'a fair bit'?

5 minutes ago, OxfordVillan said:

Do you understand English football, even remotely? I don’t think you do. This was a London Derby, a game against one of the worlds richest and most prominent clubs, an opportunity to knock a cocky neighbour off of their perch. Not too dissimilar to when Villa face the knuckle draggers from the arse end of the City. They gave it everything.....and lost. We’ll see how much desire they have on Sunday, whether they can reach the same levels again. I personally doubt it. 

And Newcastle against Bournemouth. Was that a derby too?

Not much to play for yet they blew Bournemouth out of the water, Both in terms of work ethic and commitment.

3 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Not much to play for yet they blew Bournemouth out of the water, Both in terms of work ethic and commitment.

Bruce is playing for his continued employment with new owners on the horizon. Please do try and keep up.

1 hour ago, useless said:

Liverpool also lost Watford, but them and Man City losing to weaker oppostion, or losing at all is a rare thing, whereas the likes of Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal and Man Utd losing to the division's weaker sides hasn't been all that rare this season, we're the only team that hasn't been able to win games against such clubs.

Exactly. Spurs were sh*t when we played them opening day and Newcastle went on to beat them away a couple of weeks later. Arsenal were in disarray (and with 10 men) - f**ked that one up too. Chelsea in December were shocking and West Ham and Bournemouth a week either side of that game beat them.

We've also had enough opportunities against the crap teams too and had plenty of luck along the way (West Ham down to then for last half an hour, great chance to go on and win that but could barely muster decent attack with one man advantage). Losing to Brighton at home, they go down to 10 after about 35 mins, they still look the better side for much of the game and we squeak a last second win. Bournemouth who are awful... again they go down to 10 men and we barely get a shot on target against them. Fair play there was a rousing 2nd half at home to Watford but we still lucked out with that Konsa/Mings goal in the last second.  

Table-wise we have looked in with a chance of surviving for so long because we had our two Norwich games in the bag by the 26th December. It gave a false impression and now Watford / Brighton/ West Ham are getting their chance of a customary win against them we are getting cut adrift to our level which is alongside Norwich and Bournemouth as the worst teams in the league.

Edited by villanmac

6 minutes ago, OxfordVillan said:

Bruce is playing for his continued employment with new owners on the horizon. Please do try and keep up.

Everton drew with Liverpool.

Southampton beat Man City.

Do you want me to go on? 

27 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Newcastle will go out in every game and try to win because Steve Bruce will want to win every game he doesn't care if they are safe or not, and he will motivate the players to fight. They don't play good football but that is the difference between us an Newcastle right now. Their manager maybe worse at everything else by because he motivates the players to fight they have a chance in every game they play. Unlike us who can only seem to get it up for 1 game every 5 weeks. 

32 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

Does he? When? I don't really watch post match interviews so would like to know when he's said this 'a fair bit'?

Mate he's used it plenty. Busy day ahead. Won't be scrolling through post match press conferences to satisfy your conscience. Sorry.