Relegation thread

Knutserov13

8 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

Going to have to block you.  I think you are going out of your way to be negative for reasons unknown. 

What!? 😂 it’s my opinion. You’d prefer me to lie?

Absolutely bizarre that I can’t be honest on an opinion forum.

Edited by avfcDJ
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

But if 34 points is enough to finish 17th then I would have absolutely taken it. 

League position > Points accumulated 

I don't care if we stay up on 60 points or 25 points. It's all the same end result.

But, that's a moot point, and dare I say, a Dion Dublin-esque observation.

If we were offered to stay up at the start of the season would we take it?? Well, obviously... There isn't anything hypothetical about that. The point of the hypothetical "if you were offered X" is that you are gambling on an unknown outcome. So I think it's perfectly reasonable to state that any offer of a final point haul of 34 points over a 38 game season is a dreadful outcome. You would never take that gamble, but back the team to perform much better. I certainly would have at the start of the season.

Anyway, 34 points might still relegate us.

4 minutes ago, AvonVillain said:

But, that's a moot point, and dare I say, a Dion Dublin-esque observation.

If we were offered to stay up at the start of the season would we take it?? Well, obviously... There isn't anything hypothetical about that. The point of the hypothetical "if you were offered X" is that you are gambling on an unknown outcome. So I think it's perfectly reasonable to state that any offer of a final point haul of 34 points over a 38 game season is a dreadful outcome. You would never take that gamble, but back the team to perform much better. I certainly would have at the start of the season.

Anyway, 34 points might still relegate us.

I just find your original point a really weird argument. I think everyone hoped for more than 34 points, but what everyone really wanted was to at least not get relegated. It doesn't matter if 34 points is a poor return, as long as it's enough to stay up. As already pointed out, 36 points is the average for surviving relegation in a "normal" season, and this season has been anything but normal with the introduction of VAR, COVID break, playing in empty stadiums, 5 sub rule,  water/tactical breaks etc...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

Lose 1-0 against Arsenal and beat West Ham we finish 34 points with -27 GD.

Watford lose to Man City 2-0 and then to Arsenal 2-0. Leaves them on 34 points with -27 GD.

Bournemouth draw 1-1 away at Everton. 

Simples. Right? 

the issue for me is getting the result at west ham, not going to be easy !! 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Jareth said:

I don't think I could bear getting relegated on goal difference, it would be so cruel.

Especially with that goal at Crystal Palace getting disallowed for no reason. Would be annoying af.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Rolta said:

There's another way of looking at it. They played a big semi final yesterday and are playing again on Tuesday. They'd surely rest players now, then use the Watford game as preparation for the final.

Doesn't matter about them resting players, the premier league has that covered with new rules!

There is a good argument now that it's better to face the best team from the start (when we are fresh and motivated) rather than have them bring the big hitters from the bench for the last 30.

Edited by Nigel

Watford manager odds is depressing 😂 Sacking their manager who's got the best win % for them in the premierleague. Awful decision 

Claude Puel: 6/4 -
Chris Hughton: 10/1 -
Sam Allardyce: 8/1 -
Sabri Lamouchi: 14/1 -
John Terry: 10/1 -
Danny Cowley: 12/1

7 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

I just find your original point a really weird argument. I think everyone hoped for more than 34 points, but what everyone really wanted was to at least not get relegated. It doesn't matter if 34 points is a poor return, as long as it's enough to stay up. As already pointed out, 36 points is the average for surviving relegation in a "normal" season, and this season has been anything but normal with the introduction of VAR, COVID break, playing in empty stadiums, 5 sub rule,  water/tactical breaks etc...

... not an argument, just a point of view. That being that a 34 point return from 38 games is really, truly miserable. If it's good enough, and if we can do it, then great! I suppose a different way of looking at it is, is it really worth being as consistently horrible as we have been over the course of a season, merely to survive on the final day? Would you take the same outcome next season, and the one after that? Personally, I'd prefer to be back in the Championship rather than disgracing the PL like this. I'm almost embarrassed that we can be this awful, and still have a chance of survival.

5 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

'Arry is winding his window down to speak to the Watford owner this very moment. 

Dialing Niko and a Crouchy as I type. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, messi11 said:

Watford manager odds is depressing 😂 Sacking their manager who's got the best win % for them in the premierleague. Awful decision 

Claude Puel: 6/4 -
Chris Hughton: 10/1 -
Sam Allardyce: 8/1 -
Sabri Lamouchi: 14/1 -
John Terry: 10/1 -
Danny Cowley: 12/1

For those in a rush to jettison Smith. What an awful line up.

Terry 10-1

😂😂😂😂

8 hours ago, Keyblade said:

I saw the Arsenal pre match thread yesterday for the City game and there were plenty of posts like that. If you're not hoping your team can win what even is the point of this football stuff?

Every Villa fan hopes we win........but it doesn't automatically supercede what is likely to happen.

We all went to Wembley against Man U and won 3-1......hope is all we had then.

Hope is in our DNA.