Relegation thread

Knutserov13

1 minute ago, omariqy said:

We need to win both games imo because I can see Watford beating Arsenal and Bournemouth beating  Everton 

You’re probably right. I just want to have something to fight for on that last day. Before lock down, if you’d asked me if I’d be happy needing to go to West Ham on the last day needing a win to survive, I’d have taken it. That hasn’t changed. 

A draw against Arsenal would be a fantastic result if it means the above. 

8 hours ago, nepal_villan said:

I am quite relaxed. I feel we need to earn our place in the PL and we simply have not done it this season. Beat Arsenal and West Ham and we will have earned it.

We have been handed so many chances by the teams around us, if we go down we deserve it unfortunately. I for one will be devastated, I don't sign up to this, "we came up to early", "we can rebuild in the Championship with Smith" B*****.  Smith may have been handed a rough card, but we definitely could have made it, but under Smith we just haven't worked hard enough, an this will be why we slip back into the Championship.

• Like 2

Need to beat Arsenal. Do that, and there's a very good chance that it'll be in our own hands on the final day against a safe West Ham, which is the best scenario you could hope for. Have to throw the kitchen sink at Arsenal.

Just now, Keyblade said:

Need to beat Arsenal. Do that, and there's a very good chance that it'll be in our own hands on the final day against a safe West Ham, which is the best scenario you could hope for. Have to throw the kitchen sink at Arsenal.

Do we though? 

It might be that a draw sets us up nicely for the last game. We don’t want to throw everything at Arsenal only for them to put 3/4 past us because we’re so open. 

We need to manage it correctly if we get ANOTHER lifeline. 

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

Do we though? 

It might be that a draw sets us up nicely for the last game. We don’t want to throw everything at Arsenal only for them to put 3/4 past us because we’re so open. 

I know where you're coming from, but Bournemouth has me worried. I agree, if Saints beat them, then a draw would be good. But of not, we could very well be in the scenario where we could go down even if we win against West Ham and that would suck massively.

If Watford beat Man CIty then we will be virtually relegated before we even play Arsenal. Doesn't sound likely, but I wouldn't rule it out if City play as bad as they did against Bournemouth, hopefully Guardiola is displeased with that performance and gets a reaction from them.

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

Do we though? 

This is my thinking. 

If Bournemouth lose to southampton then we'd be foolish risking a tonking against arsenal. A point may still be good enough. We want to go into the final game with a chance. 

Watford are in freefall and may well lose there remaining two games.

Bournemouth look to have a couple of winnable games.

Both our games look tough. Despite their lowly position west ham have looked pretty lethal in there last few games.

5 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

FB_IMG_1595072046466.jpg

That's never going to happen - all teams drop points like that. But off the top of my head, we should have 3 more points from the game v ten man Arsenal, 2 more from both Spurs games and 2 more vs Everton. The 7 points lost there would see us safe. 

• Like 2

Even after last night, or probably because of it, think I'm a bit more resigned to us going down now.

Can we really beat Arsenal? Even if we get a draw we're then looking at stopping West Ham scoring, whilst scoring at least 2 or more ourselves to take all the points. After all that improbability, we're now looking at Bournemouth who are in really good form not piling the pressure on and gaining more points than us from the final two.

In retrospect, I'm not certain we as a club, and us as fans, really believed we would be this bad or the season this tortuous. It seemed to only click that we were in a perilous position and perhaps we should play as a team during the last 5 games. I think the mentality of us being a bigger club than some of our direct rivals has probably been our biggest problem over the last 10 years.

The fact that we're still in with a chance of staying up after being as consistently poor as we've been casts doubt on the idea that the Premier League is a huge step up in quality from the Championship. Just look at how well Sheff. United have done simply by organising themselves properly over the course of a season. I can't remember a season where so many teams have looked so mediocre, and this perhaps points to the reason Liverpool walked the title, and another bitter pill to swallow. We couldn't stay up in perhaps the poorest Premier League since its inception.

18. Watford
19. Villa
20. Norwich

• Like 1

3 hours ago, useless said:

If Watford beat Man CIty then we will be virtually relegated before we even play Arsenal. Doesn't sound likely, but I wouldn't rule it out if City play as bad as they did against Bournemouth, hopefully Guardiola is displeased with that performance and gets a reaction from them.

If that happens, and we beat Arsenal (both of which will be unlikely to happen, according to the bookmakers), then it will be "virtually" down to the last two games. They would need a point at Arsenal and we would need a win at West Ham. It wouldn't be over, unless we rate their chances of beating Manchester City, significantly higher than our likelihood of beating Arsenal. I would say that a Villa win, would be slightly the more likely of the two results and that we also would then start the last two games, as marginally the more likely to get the result, that we would need. Having said that, I'm wearing my optimistic hat today! 😉

4 hours ago, Keyblade said:

I know where you're coming from, but Bournemouth has me worried. I agree, if Saints beat them, then a draw would be good. But of not, we could very well be in the scenario where we could go down even if we win against West Ham and that would suck massively.

At least we’ll know by the time we start against Arsenal what is required to take it to the last day, with Bournemouth and Watford playing before us.

Brentford have just shown how end of season pressures, can bring unexpected results. Anything can happen in the last two matches, let's hope that Lady Luck shines on us.🤞

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John said:

If that happens, and we beat Arsenal (both of which will be unlikely to happen, according to the bookmakers), then it will be "virtually" down to the last two games. They would need a point at Arsenal and we would need a win at West Ham. It wouldn't be over, unless we rate their chances of beating Manchester City, significantly higher than our likelihood of beating Arsenal. I would say that a Villa win, would be slightly the more likely of the two results and that we also would then start the last two games, as marginally the more likely to get the result, that we would need. Having said that, I'm wearing my optimistic hat today! 😉

Goal difference could play a part then. 

• Like 1